Why is the Grass Greener everywhere else???

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Salmonid, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I notice that it seems everyone thinks the fishing is better everywhere else instead of there home waters. Im curious if anyone is totally glad to live where they live for fishing sake?

I know here in Ohio,
    all the trout guys go to Tennessee or Pennsylvania
    All the Salmon guys go to Michigan
    All the Pike guys go to Michigan
    all the Smallmouth guys fish Ky and Indiana
    All the Largemouth guys go South to Ky or Tenn
    All the Panfish guys go South (Tenn or Ala)
    All the Musky guys go to Ky
    All the Striper guys go to Ky

All that leaves is Carp and catfish.....
    We got plenty of Carp but not the big fish.
    so the question remains, Where do you go ( where the grass is greener) to catfish??
    I know that Ohio is a Fish Poor state with heavy populated areas, huge growth of developments along our few decent rivers and heavy fishing pressure from the "catch em and eat em" crowds

Just venting...Thanks:wink:

Salmonid

2. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    I'll have to say I'm totally satisfied with fishing here in north Alabama. In an hour I can be on Pickwick, Wheeler, Wilson, and Lake Guntersville (all BIG TVA impoundments with both lake and river habitats). No we don't have trout and rarely walleye (though a 1 hour trip north gets me those too). I rarely take up an offer to fish in other waters simply because I know I can do good here. That doesn't go for catfish now, I will go elsewhere to fish, not just because of the water, but the chance to learn something new from a BOC brother. On that note, if you're ever in my parts and I'm able (not working or coaching my son's ball team) I'd be glad to take you fishing.

3. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I really enjoy Calif fishing! I am hour away from just about every kind of fishing there is, from Trout in the mountains to Salmon and Halibut on the coast! The one thing we dont have are flatheads! I wouldnt mind moving to Oregon or Washington!
    One other thing, the "Polution" ruins it for all of us!

4. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I'm 100% satisfied with East Texas fishin.

5. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Call me wierd, but I refuse to drive an hour to go fishing. 45 minutes maybe, but not an hour.

I am happy fishing wherever I may be. I happen to be really lucky right now that I live about 40 minutes from the Lake of the Ozarks/Truman Lake (right at the Truman Dam).

Last year I lived farther away and went fishing at a couple of smaller lakes nearby there. If the only place to fish is a 3 acre pond, I'll fish that. Either that or move.

6. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Why is the Grass Greener everywhere else???

Because it's hard to be where your at.
    Just something to think about

7. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Salmonid:

I was in your position a year ago today. I lived in Wintersville Ohio, and I did have good catfish waters in the Ohio River from the PA line down to Wheeling WV, but I ran to Tennessee and Kentucky to fish alot, I made 18 trips to Kentucky and Tennessee to fish in the winter time and a few times just for skipjack to fish the waters at home in the Ohio River our biggest fish in Ohio was 48 Pound Flathead, even though I did have a couple of dandy's on up there just felt the fishing was so much better here. This is why I moved.

Positives of Moving to Kentucky

1. Fishing in Kentucky (year round) plus Jan/Feb/ March best months to fish

2. Blue Catfish

3. Flathead Catfish

4. Lots of more water to fish ( Ohio River, Green River, Wabash River, White River, Mississippi River, Tennessee River, Cumberland River, Kentucky Lake, Barkley Lake ) Within 1 hours drive.

5. Lots more BOC members and more Catfishermen Here

In Ohio:

(Negatives of Ohio)

1. Could only Fish from May 1st until Oct 20th (6 Months of no fishing )

2. We did not have Bluecatfish to fish for.

3. We had Flatheads but there is just as many here. Plus more locations to fish for them at.

4. Less water to Fish in Ohio ( Ohio River, Piedmont Lake (could not use my boat in it) Salt Fork Lake, Tappen Lake ) within 1 hour from my house.

5. Less Catfishermen not very many member from the BOC to fish with.

So I guess to sum this up the wife told me we could move to where I wanted to fish at and fish year round, so here I am. Kentucky !!
    Oh and the Grass is greener here in Henderson Kentucky and the corn is 10 times taller here too..LMAO

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    And ya got further from me and closer to your pal JW. Now you can exchange outfits! LOL!

And to think ya abandoned your son TEA!

9. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Now you've made me feel bad...:sad2: Nowhere in that post did you refer to anyone going to fish in Illinois...:lol:
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    and furthermore ... I don't like your trousers.

10. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Big George, he just dont care to hurt my feelings like that. :sad2:

11. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I always prefer to fish my home states waters when I have learned enough to do so. It seems these last few years my wife keeps getting promotions when I learn the local waters and we move agian. So this time I put my foot down and told her nomore I am sick of moving. The area of NC I live in now is close to all tpes of fishing. the coast is 2-3 hours away river fishing about the same lakes are all arounf from5 minutes up to a few hours away and so. So I only leave my home states waters for special occasions like a yaerly trip to Santee with a couple of buddies and a trip out to Lake fork to b*** fish.

12. AllenM

AllenM Guest

I'd have to say that I'm pretty darned happy with the waters around me, but will be even happier as soon as we get moved up to Redding or Anderson. I got theSacramento river 9 miles East of me and a pretty nice little lake 8 miles to the West. When we moved though, I'm going to have my choice of 3 excellent large lakes; Shasta, Whiskeytown, and Trinity, along with the Sacramento River, and a variety of other rivers, steams, creeks, and smaller mountain lakes. I don't like having to drive any sort of distance to go fishing, so this is going to be fantastic! :big_smile:

13. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Gosh Erick Now I am realy Unhappy fishing here in IOWA(Idiots out running around) That what Iowa stands for. But the Wife wouldent Move more than a copple miles away from the kids! So I guess Ill just have to stay. I hope your arms don't get tired of catching them Biguns. LOL J.D.Straka:big_smile:

14. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    I'm happy here in Michigan with the cats salmon pike crappie perch blue gills walleye sturgeon carp musky bass trout. And any i have missed. Now having said this i like to see all the guys come up here from Ohio Indiana to put the big money into our economy when they get caught snagging and they fine them and take there rods and fishing equipment so thanks for spending your money here!

15. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Oh and to answer your question its the same reason that when one person is fishing on one side of the river they try to fish across the river and vise versa the grass is always greener on the other side

16. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Mark, sorry you feel that way. I live in KY so I am perfectly content with the waters that I am fishing lol. You have two options drive to KY and do your fishing. Or move a little farther south. My Favorite water to fish is the Ohio River, which is also one of your waters also. There are not many fish that are a targeted sport fish that can't be found in the Ohio River. And it is some of the best fishing that can be found anywhere in the U.S. Vern

17. Norm

Norm New Member

State:
    Freeport, IL

18. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    I love fishing here in Minnesota! We are the land of 10,000 lakes and countless numbers of river systems. No matter where you live you don't have to go far at all to find a place to fish. Plus you can catch about any fresh water fish here. It has always been good to me. I guess the bass don't get as big as they do down south, but they are just baitfish anyways! :big_smile:

19. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Yes, the Ohio river is a great fishery but its hard to fish from shore or a small boat and its still 1.5 hrs to the river and thats in downtown Cinci so even longer to get to the Tanners or other ramps where its less congested. If I lived closer I would certainly fish it more often. Since it son the state line and technically Ky owns the Ohio River, I consider that the fence line between yards....:roll_eyes:

Thanks good info from folks

We all love an adventure and that means traveling to someewhere aways from home to catch the big ones!

Salmonid

20. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    When I was growing up in Ohio, I always wanted to go to Florida for the big bass...I am pretty happy with fishing Az though. I was once told that if the grass looks greener on the other side, it's only because there is more B.S. being spread around over there:wink: