Why is my pattern down and left?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by ozzyso44, Apr 21, 2008.

1. ozzyso44

ozzyso44 New Member

State:
    Smithville, Missouri
    Always, and I mean always, down and to the left with new stoeger. I have pumped probably 25 shells, 3in winchester 4's, through it with both the factory choke and the Undertaker choke. I have sat and put gun in vise to do shooting. I have shot with factory and then went as far as to replace the factory bead with Hi-Viz site. Every time, down and to the left. In fact, I have even put tape to my gun saying, "Aim 1 ft high at 2 o'clock."

I need some advice. I don't think I am pulling off. I am consistently steady while firing.

2. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    down and to the left..sounds like your 'pulling' the trigger..slow steady trigger squeeze. When you squeeze the trigger try counting in your head to take your mind off the shot.

3. muzkrat

muzkrat New Member

State:
    va.
    could be trigger pull. try lifting your pinky finger off the stock when pulling trigger. the vise should have eliminated this problem though. my guess would be you need to try other loads and shot brands. sounds like your gun does not like what you are shooting. my gun always liked the # 5 winchesters over the #4 and #6. i shoot the hevi-shot now in a # 6 and have taken birds at 50 yrds with it. i patterned the # 5 and # 6 in heavy-shot and my gun liked the # 6 better. experiment with shot size and i bet you see a differance.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'm guessing Two things or a combination of these ,#1 load your shooting. Shotguns are like rifles,try several till you find one that it likes best.
    #2 It could be that this shotgun might just need a little custom "fitting" to you .You might PM Ed [coyote1} he is a gunsmith and can answer your questions much better than me. hope this helps.

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i agree with trying different loads. maybe have a friend pattern your shotgun and see if he gets the same results. don't tell him about the problem before he shoots either. and for an added 'kick', load a 3" OOO bucksot load in there when he's not looking!

(just kidding about the last part. the first part is really what i'd do.)

6. ozzyso44

ozzyso44 New Member

State:
    Smithville, Missouri
    Very good advice. Much thanks. I can't wait to have a friend pump some rounds through the chamber!

7. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    I had the same problem with a Mossberg 835 that I bought last year. I tried several chokes and shots through it. I even had my dad and a friend shoot it. It was off by a 1 1/2 feet at 30 yards up and to the left. I took it to a guy and he said that I should send it back to Mossberg and get a new barrel put on it. My other Mossberg patterns about 5 inches to the right. Cabelas ended up taking the 835 back. I have shot other peoples Mossbergs and they pattern great, I guess that I just got a lemon.

8. peglegreb

peglegreb New Member

State:
    s.c.
    iv seen that befor with some of my frinds. you mite be pushing the gun. or your barll is bent. let some one els shoot it and see.

9. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    lol, had that prob with an old remington pump when i was a kid, my uncle shot it and it was just off.
    Called local gunsmith and he told my uncle to "bend it a lil bit"
    U can "tune" ur gun barrel in that way with a smooth bore, i guess. We've been doin it with every single barreled shotgun that had patterning probs ever since

10. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    it would probably be better to have a gunsmith tune a barrel, that way if he messes up the cost is on him. if you don't want to do that, you could probably get a new barrel for between 1 and $200.

11. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I had a 870 once that shot off target after i put a turkey choak in it. Gunsmith said it always shot like that but it became noticable with the tighter choke.I give it to daddy and he had the barrle cut and rechoked and it shoot fine now. Also prior to giving it to daddy, i had put a set of rifle sights to correct the problem. The 870 i'm shooting now likes winchester supreme #6,,,far better than anything else you can stick in it.