Why is my bow so loud??!!!???????

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by Katfish Kern, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    I still have my older bow. I have put new limbsavers on, and I have also had silencers installed in the stings. The bow is not as loud as it was before, but still makes a small twannnnnngggg sound after the shot. The bow is tight. Could it be the arrows, or am I just gonna have to get used to that sound cause it is an older bow????

Also will that sound be to much and cause a deer to drop when when I shot, causing me to miss????

2. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i am in no way an expert on this, but i have learned a lot from the other members on this particular part of the forum. i use all limbsaver stuff. i have the limb dampners, the stabilizer, and the cable slider from them. my bow is really quiet. 3 of my buddies shoot PSE bows, and 2 of their bows 'twang' at the shot. one thing i can add, try taking your quiver off and shoot it. a lot of loud bows it seems a lot of the sound comes from the quiver. hope this helps you some.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009

3. bubbajum

bubbajum New Member

State:
    Monongahel
    One thing your arrow weight might be to light. The heavier the arrow the more of the bow energy it can absorb and the bow will be quieter. Also look at the STS system or something like it if you cant take the noise.

Or if all else fails buy a Bowtech I can get you a real deal on one:wink:

4. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    If you cannot get the sound out , get used to shooting lower then the target . You could try a few things like a heavier arrow or back the limbs off a quater turn each . Add some string leeches , change stabalizer to a bigger one .

5. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    My 2 initial thoughts have already been covered. I dont use a bow mounted quiver for exactly that reason. My other thought was that your arrows were too light, which has also been said. If it sounds like a tuning fork when you shoot, check all the bolts on the bow. Something as simple as a loose bolt on your sight bracket, arrow rest or quiver could add to the sound your getting. Also, make sure that the limbsavers are as close to the cams as you can get them. If you check all of those and your still getting alot of noise then the only thing I could think of was that the cams are possibly out of tune and your getting vibration because of that. How old of a bow are we talking about here? Is it a 2 cam system or 1? Maybe a little bit more information could help.

6. missouri cat hunter

missouri cat hunter New Member

State:
    missouri
    well i have a newwer bow and the the more poundge youll pull back the luder that noise will get and the reason is the more ibs u get the tighter that string will get its almost like wen youre fishing lines tight and it makes that guitar sounding noise and theres nothing you can do about it theres no bow thats goin to be perfectly quiet

7. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    I am shooting an older Golden Eagle. It has 2 cams. Also I never thought about the arrows being to light. How do I determine the weight of my arrows now, and how much would I need to go up?

8. missouri cat hunter

State:
    missouri
    well it should say on youre bow but you dont want to get to heavy of arrows other wise theyll angle down if u make a 20yd shot theyll shoot under wat ever youre shooting at but the best you can do is go online and look up youre bow and see how much draw weigh and how long of arrows or how heavy of arrows you should use but itll still make that slapping noise

9. missouri cat hunter

State:
    missouri
    ive got the stabelizer silencers on my strings and 4 of those rubber mountings you mount on the side of youre bow and the arechery shops says theres no more you can do that thaaaanh noise will always be there

10. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Hey, I am thinking the same thing as the other guys, if it makes a "twang" sound. Just to be sure hit on your sights, stabilizer, rest, and whatever else you have mounted on your bow. Peck on them with your knuckles. Alot of times they will vibrate and cause a vibration sound. It is hard to tell unless you really listen closely. Well, as far as the arrow weight theory, check this link.
    http://www.martinarchery.com/easton/targeast.html

11. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    I would put an sts suystem on your bow. I bet that will take the twang out of the bow. A lot of times if it sounds like a gutar string twang it is the string going back and forth. The sts will take that out.

Tom

12. MikeV

MikeV New Member

State:
    pennslvania
    WATCH LIMB TWIST!!!,my buddie had one, mid 90's, it blew up last year. golden eagle went out of biss:angry: Quietest bow i'v ever heard was a golden eagle obsession

13. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    A loud bow usually means it way out of tune. My 07 Drenalin was slightly out of specs, and I set the ATA and cam timing back to factory specs in a bow press and it quieted down even more. It was already very quiet. I don't mess with string leeches or Limb Savers any more because it's so quiet.

Measure your ATA, BH, and if you have cam timing marks those as well. Another important factor is arrow weight. If you shoot light arrows, your bow will be louder but you'll shoot faster and vice versa with a heavier arrow. I shoot about 6gr/pound of draw weight, but a lot of people will shoot 7-9gr for hunting. Just depends if you want faster arrows or slow heavy logs that hit like a ton of bricks.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  14. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    The rule for arrow weight is 5 grains per pound of draw weight.so if you shooting a bow that is 60lbs your arrow should be no lighter than 300 grains.65lbs 325 grains,really should shoot a little heavier arrow than the recommended 5 grains per pound.the heavier the arrow the better penetration you'll get,but also the heavier the arrow the more the arrow is going to drop at longer distances and the slower it will be.

I have my bow set at 66lb,the minimum arrow weight for my bow is 330 grains but my arrows weigh 362. hope this helps.

15. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    Alright, now you are making me feel stupid. What is the sts system? Is that the silencer that goes along the portion extending from the rear of the bow to the string?

16. RonSki

RonSki New Member

State:
    Indiana

Yes, and it will do wonders for quieting a bow. There's many different kinds on the market now too. There's a reason manufacturers are starting to build these into the bows from the factory :wink: