Why Is It That...

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by Spider, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    I'm just curious as to why it seems to be so important to so many to catch huge fish? I fish for enjoyment and I feel staisfied if I catch anything. I will not argue that big fish are fun but it seems like people are looked down on if they don't catch huge fish. I guess the issue could be argued both ways. If I fish a whole day and catch a dozen small fish I had more fun than sitting all day to catch one big one. I suppose that having fishing partners and time occupying conversation could make a difference but fishing alone gets pretty boring when nothing happens. I release 99.9% of what I catch anyway so for me it doesn't matter what it is.
    Don't get me wrong, if people are after huge fish that's fine and I plan on trying for Flatheads next year at least a couple times but that will not stop me from going when I probably will not catch anything over about 12".
    I just think to much pressure is put on people to catch large fish and they feel bad when they can't and possibly ashamed to say they caught nothing but small fish.

2. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    be a lot of fun to catcha dozen 50s one afternoon wouldnt it lol

3. MikeV

MikeV New Member

State:
    pennslvania
    The way my luck is going im about to go back to my bass rods so i can actually fight a fish.Skipping fish over the water gets old.

4. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I would have to say that, just like every other sport, people are looking for records/the best. I think most on this site would be "satisfied" if they went out and caught 15 small fish in a night, but that is not what they are after. Me personally, I would rather move spots 2,3,4,5 times in a night to find the "big guy" rather than a bunch of small ones. I would never "look down" upon people catching the small ones, if they are having a good time, mroe power to em'. That leaves more big ones for me to catch :wink:.

5. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Unfortunately Larry sometimes it is a pride thing. You know the "Look what I did" thing rather than the "Thank you Lord for what you did." JMHO

Ray

6. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    Larry next year lets say you hook a 25 pound flat you will understand the feeling you get from it I never look down on anyone for catching smaller fish or channel cats I still love to fish for channel cats they aren't as big but you can go and catch 20 in a night after the flats shut down for the winter.I keep fishing for them to try to catch a bigger one than I did before to beat my PB to improve my catch I release everything except baitfish.I still fish for smallies too :wink:

7. pennsyvinn

pennsyvinn Member

State:
    PA
    Good thread Larry.I honestly enjoy catching bait,just as much as a 25 lb flathead.I also enjoy catching stocked pennsylvania "fish sticks"(trout)For me big fish isn't all about the size.Big fish=older fish=smarter fish.I admit alot of people get way too competitive with the my fish is bigger than your fish(goes the same with deer hunting & probably anything else you can think of)I think guys on the boc just like to share their catches with other anglers,that take their fishing serious.I'm signed up on a couple other Pa. forums where members are downright rude in their responses to peoples posts & pics about fish being caught(if you do catch a fish they think is big,you better 1. tell exact location 2. tell exact time 3. tell exact lure-it better not be live bait!)lol.You just ignore those guys Larry.I would say the lure to big fish to most guys on the boc is the age of the fish.Bigger,older,smarter gives me personal satisfaction that my time,money & learned knowlege about fishing,paid off

8. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i catch small fish during the day (my bait) then bigger fish during the nite, i've caught 3#-10# channels for years along with bass and all the other fish in PA, but it is true that once ya play tug-o-war with a flatty that has some shoulders it really is addicting to do it again or find a bigger one. i for one would rather catch one 25#'er all nite then five 5#'ers but thats just me. i like everything about flatty's, catchin bait, the search, the wait, and the battle. and there's always that potential that a 40#+ or new record could find the end of your line. it is a real addiction:wink:

9. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Good point made by you and others. I can't argue that. I never fished for flatheads yet. I'm in no way condeming fishing for large fish. I'm sure it's a real blast connecting with a 30# fish that is pretty much all muscle.
    Hopefully that will happen next year for me. The majority of my fishing will still probably be in places where the odds are against a big fish.

10. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The old saying, " A boat is the ticket to catching large fish " is in most places the truth behind catching small fish on the bank. Its just a go & see situation, but me dont get me wrong want to catch a big monster but at the same time have to put up with the kittys until I get a boat. I get your point brother and it dont matter to me what anyone thinks of my catches, cuz its the fun to me.:wink:

11. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I'll admit that i love targeting the big bad boys. Any cat is a goodun to me but when you build your skills and knowledge and upgrade your equipment, it's really satisfying to lay into a nice one. It's not that i like to show them off and brag. For me, it's a sense of personal satisfaction. It shows that I've become good enough and skillful enough to consistently tangle with big fish. Each PB is proof that my hard work is paying off. Some fish for food, but some (including me) fish for the rush and the search for that next monster. To each his own. All my trophy's are released anyhow, and i know a lot of the "trophy hunters" on this site release theirs too, so we ain't hurtin anybody :roll_eyes:

12. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    thats not alway true, only 3-4 fish in my photo album were caught out of a boat (and not even my own boat), 98% of my pics were caught from the bank

13. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    The 2 PBs I had were at basically the same spot and off the bank Lenny was an eyewitness to the second:wink:

14. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    My thoughts on fishing are as follows. Why do I fish? I fish because I love the outdoors. I fish because it provides me with stress relief from life's problems. I enjoy all types of fishing. I like taking out the flyrod with small nymphs to catch Bluegill I will use for Cat bait. I like Trout fishing- walking along a beautiful stream trying to fool a Trout is good mental therapy to me. Yes I know all about the crowds and put and take, etc. that goes with Trout fishing but I still enjoy it, perhaps its different in city areas! I take great pleasure in tossing a spinner for Smallmouth Bass. Tossing a buzzbait for a Largemouth is cool! Pulling a big Walleye from the depths is awesome! I love all types of fishing! Chasing big Cats happens to be a favorite! It sure don't mean I look down on anyone for fishing a different style or for other species! Fishing for me is a year round love! I will be on the ice in a few months! :0a18: I love buying fishing stuff (my wife thinks I'm out of control) :eek:oooh: I enjoy making sinkers, posting on the B.O.C., bottom line is I love fishing!!! :cool2:

15. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I,ve never looked down on anybody no matter what they fish for.I love big flats,I like the adrenaline rush when you hook up with one,I like the fight,which you never know if your gonna win.I also like to see a kid in the park catching bluegills with their mom or dad.I enjoy everything about being down at the rivers,the sights,the sounds,the smell.I have a lot of great nights when I go home skunked too.The fact that big flats are what trips my boat doesn,t make me look any less favorably on whatever anyone else chooses to fish for.My motto{To each his own}.:wink:.

16. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    No doubt there is nothing wrong with wanting to go out for a day of fun. Like a lot of people I fish for it all. And I do all types of hook and line fishing. I love hooking a big trout or smallie on my fly rod. I love using lightweight tackle and targeting larger fish. Fishing is great and if some guys are giving you grief about catching smaller fish or mocking you for enjoying what you do then tell em to stick it... with a smile on your face of course:big_smile:

17. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    what he said

18. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    For ten years I fished for small fish, catching channel cats..Them one day I hooked into my first 40-lb flathead...Since then fishing has never been the same..I would rather fish all year to catch one big fish, than to catch small fish everytime out...I dont fish for fun, I fish for the hunt of the trophy flathead, and the satisfaction that comes from catching one.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  19. WayneV

WayneV Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Mike r u feeling ashamed?:sad2: Dont worry you'll get it, ha ha.
    Catching big flatheads is the shit man. Its exciting and an awesome picture. If your content with catching small ones thats cool, to each his own.

20. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Just like in any sport you wanna be the best. And to be the best you must perform. In sports, performance is based on points and wins. In fishing, performance is based on the hugest-azz fish you can yank out!

Guys who Hunt for Big Fish are big-game/trophy hunters. Some like to hunt rabbits, while others like to hunt elephants.:cool2:

My father always told me, "anyone can catch small fish, but not everyone can catch big fish"