Why is frozen shad not a good bait ?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by kyron4, Dec 23, 2006.

1. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Why are freshly frozen and thawed shad considered to be a "waste of time " or non-productive bait ? Why is fresh always considered better ?
    -Thanks

2. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    The problem I have with frozen shad, is that's too mushy to stay on the hook when it thaws. To me it's almost like casting liver out.
    Will

3. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    From what I have found out from usung it or trying to this past summer is
    1.After freezing it gets soft and mushy (won't stay on hook)
    2 Loses its natural oil to certain extent.
    3 Fresh is always better. Don't even try the store bought from Wally World.It's a waste of time and money.

4. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    I do use frozen shad, but only in the winter. It seems that the cats don't mind the frozen when the water is cold. The bait is softer after freezing but if you are a little careful throwing it, it will stay on. I catch most of my shad in a lake near home. After the lake freezes over there is no way to catch them. I had trouble catching bait about three weeks ago so I took some frozen shad with the few fresh I did catch. Side by side, one rod with fresh and the other with frozen I couldn't tell the difference, I got as many bits on frozen as did fresh. Rather then not fishing I use frozen bait.

5. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I had the same problems with mushy thawed shad. I have found that frozen carp, buffalo, sucker all work and they stay on the hook pretty well. I have also used fresh drum and all the fish mentioned above. I have even caught fish on big headed carp. Winter seems to be a little different.

6. Michael

Michael New Member

State:
    Clarksville TN
    around here in tn i and alot of others vacuum pack our skip jack and they are just as fresh when you thaw them out and cut the bag open. I've never vacuum packed shad so i don't know if its the same or not

7. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    its not that they are a waste of time but after being froze their not fresh the smell changes , the blood turns brown , the natural slime disapates , they turn to mush . on another note they make great chum .

you can still catch fish on frozen but fresh is always better .

iv heard of several ways to freeze them that make them better
    1. freeze in water
    2. freeze rolled in newspaper
    3. freeze after vacume sealing
    4. blend then freeze and use as chum as it thaws in the water it draws the fish .
    5. freeze then throw away and get fresh :lol:

personaly il stick with what works for me , fresh

8. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I have the same problems freezing shad. They come out soft. I've never tried vaccum sealing them first, I will have to try that next time.

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    If you agree unconditionally that *fresh* shad is absolutely the best bait for your particular waters, why would you choose any other bait? Why choose the second or third or fourth best bait? Seems like you're shooting yourself in the foot before you even get a line in the water. Heck, you might as well go fishing with beef liver and Danny King's - you'll do just about as well as with frozen shad...

If frozen shad worked as well as fresh shad, nobody would spend the time looking for them in the winter; there are days when I can throw the net one time and literally come up with half of a 5-gallon bucket full of nice big shad. I could spend 2 hours in the summer catching bait and easily have enough in the freezer to last until the next summer. But I'd rather know I was going to catch fish.

10. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Opinion/Guessin/from what I've seen

Yes fresh is the best for FLATHEADS. Generally they ONLY eat live and fresh kills and are not like Channels or Blues which do not mind a little stink in their food @ times.

I've seen it @ times where frozen bait did not make MUCH of a diffference. Other times where the Flats only wanted fresh heads and NOT the fresh bodies. The point is they the Flats can be very picky @ times and if you don't want to wast your time you will go prepared

I hope this helps!

:smile:

11. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Where did all this come from about frozen shad being mushy and a bad bait??I've fished with frozen shad for 25+ years and cought tons of cats using it with none of the problems talked about on this string.

12. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    I agree Jim...I have no problems using frozen shad. I have some in the freezer in my garage I use in the winter time. Now I am having trouble finding shad in Henderson so I use frozen.

13. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    AH!!!! the great frozen vs. fresh debate. LOL! Sure hope DH chimes in on this one. He as well as others have shattered the "FROZEN" bait ain't worth a dam theory. Use it,it works.

14. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    put pickling salt on the shad before you put them in bags to freeze. when you thaw them they are in decent shape. not as good as fresh but when you can't get fresh they will work.

15. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    When I have fished in British Columbia for tyees, the guide always had frozen herring that were cured in pickling salt. This has to make the fish tougher, because he would put a 'mask' over the head of the herring, and take a toothpick and run it through a hole in one side of the mask, through the fish' eye sockets and then out the other hole in the mask which would lock the fish into the mask. This would be trolled at 150-250ft on a downrigger. The herring would last for an hour before breaking down forcing a re-bait. I'm not trying to say this is a way of making the shad more interesting to cats as bait, but it does seem to be an excellent way to keep the shads body from becoming so mushy after being frozen. By the way, is there a particular month in which shad start running up creeks, or do they do it year round whenever the water is high? Happy Fishing and Merry Christmas!

16. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    So would fresh cut bluegill out fish frozen shad even though gills are way less oily ?

17. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    to me Fresh is ALWAYS better but Frozen is about 80-85% as effective. i only freeze larger to "sumo" sized shad and now individually wrap my shad in saran-wrap rather than freezing in water and it seems to make them less mushy. i dont even bother messin with shad less than 5inches long, it seems they turn straight into mashed potato's when thawed out.

18. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I don't freze shad in water I freze them as dry as I can get them,I put them on ice as soon as I net them and just put them in ziplock bags and in the frezer they go.

19. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    I have tried several ways to freeze shad and I do not have a good answer. If you are going to use them within a couple of weeks just put them in an ice chest on ice. They don't freeze and they stay fresh. This is the only way I can keep them from turning to mush.And the fish hit then just as good as if they were fresh caught.You may just need to try different things,the ice thing works good for me so that is what I do. JMO Allen

20. catman from owensboro

catman from owensboro New Member

State:
    ky
    i like fresh but i fish with both.