Why is a boat so expensive?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Doyle, May 26, 2006.

1. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I looked at some new boats. $28,000.00 for a boat like I want. They must be crazy! All they are is a bath tub with a motor. I could buy two or more cars for that price. I slobbered over 10 boats over 300 miles in the last 2 weeks. After a little soul searching, I decided to love my old boat for the rest of my life…. Unless I win the Lotto or they start making them in China.:cry: :big_smile_2:

2. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Supply and demand,as long as people keep paying that price they will keep selling for that price! I had a 17 footer with a 150hp Johnson and a piece of the motor came through the block and was going to be exspensive to repair so I bought a 14 foot Jon boat and a 15hp Johnson and love it.It dos all I need it to do.

3. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Buying Used is the way to go .. I've actually seen some nice looking rigs here in the For Sale section..

4. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    I know what you are saying about boat prices, I bought a new one in 2000, It seems anything used for pleasure has a high price, boats, motorcycles, four wheelers, hunting accessories, fishing equipment, wives
    LOL. I would look for a good name used boat, stay clear of any vessel
    that has ever been in saltwater. Another tip would if you want a used one
    try private owners, I think it is risky to buy used from any dealer unless
    you get some kind of warranty.

5. haroldlp

haroldlp New Member

State:
    IN
    I just bought a boat on Ebay Motors for $1175.00, needs about $400.00 in work and will be perfect according to the marina. it is a 1980 Rinker 16' runabout with a Mercruiser 120 engine, came with trailer, cover, etc. There were literally thousands of them on there to bid on. Just narrowed my search down to ones within 200 miles and still had over 400 to look at.

Will be real nice to get off the bank again, since I am wheelchair bound it made it hard to fish. Hate to admit to it but had been pretty well limited to the horrid pay places for the last few years. Finally got fed up with them and got this for my b'day today, figured I only turn 60 once.:big_smile:

Here is a pic of the new boat.

Attached Files:

6. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Looks like a pretty nice boat there Harold, great catch!

7. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Nice boat, nice deal. Hope the 400 bucks includes paint on the spare tire rim. LOL.

8. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    :ah: There so expensive because of all the crap that they put in them thats useless or wont work in a year or two. Also they like to make the boats hard to work on or customize to the type of fishing you do. Well thats just my 2 cents after working on my dads boat couple weeks ago.

9. John H

John H New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    My Dear Wife talked

10. John H

John H New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    My wife talked me into buying a new boat after I got bad hurt, to give me some thing to do, on my GOOD DAYS. I purchased in 2002, before I took it to the lake I thought It would be neat to put an hour meter on it, which I did. Since July of 2002 I have put on 36.9 hours on the motor. Now I did more fishing than that of course, but that is really low hours for a 4 year old boat...I did a lot of drift fishing and over chum, so low hours. Heck if I keep this up it will still be fairly new when I hit the dirty so to speak. I winterized each year and the mechanic told me I was crazy for draining the lower unit and doing the things I needed to do for winterizing. But I feel better knowing that it has been taken care of properly and someday one of you young fellows will be getting a damn good boat. Its a Bass TRacker Targa 17.5 Ft Walk through with a 115 Mercury and all the other goodies. everything works, couple scratches do to tieing up to trees in the lake to chum,,, Kansas WInd knocks you against the tree's.
    You could probably buy a cheaper boat if you held out for or looked for a LEFT HANDED MODEL... ha ha

JohnH

11. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    You would think there would be a lot of deals on used ones after Katrina. I price of the engines is what gets me. You can get two car engines for the price of one boat engine.

12. BamaCats

BamaCats Member

State:
    Alabama
    there are places here where you can get pontoons and v-hulls for 2500 and up gonna check them out. You were talking about Katrina after they started cleaning up they were some boat dealerships on the gulf that wre trying to give those boats away down there.