Why I Will Never Buy Another St Croix Product

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by H2O Mellon, Nov 9, 2005.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Why I will never buy another St Croix Rod product. :cursing:

Just some background: I have sold numerous St Croix Rods, especially while working @ All About Sports. St Croix was the 1st rod I would suggest.Over the years I have owned just over 20 St Croix rods to the best that I can recall. It may sound like a lot, but remember I could get them for as much as 50% sometimes.

Last week I heard from a fellow catfishermen that St Croix opened up a retail store at the factory. This store sells refurbished rods, factory 2nd's, etc...I called the store up & asked if they had any Classic Cat casting rods left.Luckily they had 3. This should make any catfisherman drool. I had two previous Classic Cats, but had to sell them. I wanted to order 2 of them. The store emp told me that they can not place over the phone orders for the refurbished rods. I begged him & explained my situation, I was sin Ohio, they are in Wisconsin. Finally he told me that sometimes they do allow the over the phone sale of them, but I had to jump through some hoops. I was so happy. Now I know this second part is going to sound strange, but here goes: He told me that I had to contact a local businessman such as a police officer, postal inspector, etc.... & if that person agreed to come to the retail store & vouch for me, saying that I do indeed want the rods then they would allow me to pay via credit card & would ship the rods. GREAT, I was thinking, "Who on earth is going to do this, it just sounds plain goofy". Well, I called the Park Falls, WI Chamber of Commerce. I spoke to a secretary, she laughed (so did I). She said that she has never heard of anything like that, but she gave me the name & phone number to the police & postal service. I called the post office & spoke to the backup postal inspector. To my freaking amazement, he knew what I was talking about. He said he had to go there & vouch for a guy from Florida not too long ago. He said it was one way that St Croix made sure tackle shops were not buying their refurbs & making profits on them. The man said that he would go across town & vouch for me at the store! I called the store back & told them what was going to happen. The store guy & I got talking more, he told me that one reason they had to have someone vouch for their stuff is that because the rods are NON-RETURNABLE. Okay, to be honest I was a little worried, but knew the darn near perfect service I've gotten form St Croix in the past, so I was not too paranoid about it. (this was last Thursday)

TODAY 11/9/05 6:45PM.
    I come home to find the big rod carton on my porch. I got the kids in from the Jeep & fed them all. The whole time it's killing me because I am to break open the rods! Well around 7:10PM, I finally open the carton. This will forever be known as the "Ut-Oh" in my fishing life. I pull two nice St Croix Classic Cat Rods out of the carton, two nice SPINNING ST Croix Classic Cat Rods out of the carton. Holly crap I spent $220 on two Spinning Rods. As of this second I don't even own a spinning reel anymore than isn't a Silstar Tiny Ultra Light. I can not return these rods, yet I have no freakin use for them. I suppose I could give one to Flathunter & keep one for myself & we can use them for carp fishing, but that's about it. They can not be returned. They can not refund my money. I am so mad typing this, I want to take violent action out on St Croix. :cursing:

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Oh yea, my 3 year old's middle name is Croy
    (not Croix, but you get the picture).... For Real No Lie. Phillip Croy is his name.

3. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Sorry to hear that H2. I'm with you all my spinning reels are small for walleye and crappie. Look on the bright side though, your sidekick status will be upgraded when you give the mentor one for a x-mas present. ;)

4. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    H2O Mellon,

that is EXTREMELY rough. Hate to hear that you got stuck like that. And hey, not only will your sidekick status go up, but, you could be upgraded to buddy.

NAAAA, sidekick is better.

5. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    dude, You gotta be kiddin' Me! They didn't tell you that all they had left was spinning rods, that sucks.....sorry dude I feel kinda responsible because I set you up with them and all. read your hard luck story about losing your original Classic cats and was just trying to help. sorry, If you want i'll lessen your loss by buying one of them from ya. I was gonna pick up the last of them this week not any more. I don't have much use for a big spinning rod and reel I prefer baitcasting equipment. Could you perhalps exchange them for another model???

6. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    I would still contact them and tell them that you had requested bait casting rods not spinning rods...What the heck do you have to loose ?

Postal Inspector would be a great help in this matter. I would contact him first and let him do some of the work for you. That Postal Inspector has way more power than most folks think he does...he can make them give a refund whether they want to or not. Especially since he was involved with the purchase.

7. Fishking

Fishking Member

State:
    KC, MO
    Name:
    Andrew
    NON-RETURNABLE and NON-EXCHANGABLE might be two diffrent things. If that doesnt work spam the hell out of any e-addy you find on their website. Usually gets a response. GL

8. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sort of funny, but the 1st words out of my mouth to the backup postla inspector was "Are you by any chance a fisherman", he said "No". :rolleyes: I was thinking My gosh buddy St Croix's warehouse is in your town & you dont fish! I will try everything I can. I am not too worried I thik I cna sell them w/ out a problem, I mean shoot everybody likes them, but I'm just broken hearted.

Brad, man it's not your fault at all!

9. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Heck, take them to a tackle shop and try to trade them for something that you really want. Some one might want some spinning rods.

Ray

10. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I just gave one rod to Flathunter for Christmas, so I may grab a small Baitrunner for the lighter action one & use it for carping. The 7" is much too light of action for cats at leat how/where I fish.

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I see how it is, I thought Bryan came up with this idea on his own..But no :sad: He was coaxed into giving me one for christmas :D Well for one I think I deserve it :rolleyes: I have :D given up the best years of my life in teaching him the ropes of catfishing!

12. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Bryan why dont you try and trade them for that 10000 you ordered? I wont be mad, indian giver!

13. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    WOW,bad luck.
    But 220$ for 2 refurbished rods??
    110$ each??
    There are some good 50$ spinning reels available-any chance of making lemonade out of lemons?

14. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have a good idea Bryan, you could just turn them over and use them with casting reels, it will look a little strange..But I promise not to laugh :D

15. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    How bout E-Bay ? Might be able to aleast get your money back out of'em.

16. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have no doubt that I couold get my money back out of them off EBay. I'm just so mad that I dont want to go through w/ the hassel. I'm sure we'll use them when we go carping or light action lake Channel cat fishing. Now I have to get me a stinking spinning reel. I'll probally go w/ somesort of bait runner.

17. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    H2O you know you can turn them into casting rods with out much trouble righ???????

18. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Do you know anywhere that I have them replace the eyes? I know I want mine to be a casting one, I'm not sure abotu Flathunter.

19. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The more I thought about this, the more I want to do it. If anyone has suggestions or recomendations for a speciic person that does this, let me know.

20. Mr Phatkat

Mr Phatkat New Member

State:
    Charleston sc
    I've had to do just that once. I went to a fishing show and at the last minute i baught this shimano corsair on an 8ft shimano TDR. I liked the feel and look of the combo, so i went back and grabbed another 1. I didnt pay attention, and when i grabbed the rod it was a spinning rod. Honestly, it was kinda awkward, but i still used it with the corsair(baitcast). I didnt know i could actually get it converted...Oh well. Too late now, its somewhere in the Ohio river near Vevay now...