Why I prefer MMA over boxing

Discussion in 'UFC, Boxing, Wrestling, etc.' started by Little Luey, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    This is just my oppinion and I have to say I give props to the fighter in both fields. I don't mean this as an insult to any of them but it is more of a reflection of how the people promoting the fights has riun boxing IMO.

This weekend we had 2 pay-per-view cards, a UFC and a mayor boxing match. Unfortunatly I could not watch either one since I had worked a double and had to sleep only to go back saturday night to work.
    If I had been able to watch one of the event I would have picked the UFC fights even when the boxing card had more recognized names on it.

I stop buying PPV boxing matches long a go, the last one was Mike Tison vs. McNeally, right after Tison got out of jail. I had become unhappy with the way boxing manages their fights, for instance,

1. putting a complete nobody against a good prospect in order to have the prospect's record show more wins and be more impressive.

2. how the judges sometimes seem to be watching a different fight than everyone else and give the fight to the less deserving figther. Usually the one guy who could bring more money in for the promoter.

3. the lack of seemingly good characters in the sport at the moment, yes, there are a few good ones but other than Roy Jones Jr, they just seem to come and go after a few fights, they don't seem to have staying power.

4. the heavyweights don't seem to throw any punches and the little guys are more active, but where are the kicks and body slams? it has become borring to me.

There may be more reason that I don't remember right now. Why do I prefer the MMA fights? let's see:

1. The fights are quick and full of action, in all class weights.

2. The fights that do not go the distance are greather, this means the judges don't have a lot to of input on who wins the fight. This is good for me.

3. the variety of way a figther can strike the opponent, and many times win the fight, submission, KO, desicion.

4. The ring doctor don't stop fights often, even for a nasty cut on someones face. In fact on a good night you will see the ring covered in blood.

What is your take on this?

2. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My Thoughts:

Well, with MMA, the point is not to have the ring/cage covered in blood. the doctor's do not allow fights to go on if the cut is in a bad spot....in other words blood getting into the fighters eyes. the dotor's also do not check cuts unless it is between rounds or the ref sees the cut and thinks it may be bad.

MMA is a lot safer than boxing. For those ill-informed to the sport of MMA, they will not agree because of the several reasons. The fact is in MMA if a fighter is knocked senseless, the ref will step in to stop the fight. This of course stops any unnecessary damage to the fighter. Boxing gives a dazed fighter time to regain his senses and continue even though he may not be completely with it. It is evident in boxing the many problems with this with older fighters having problems and even deaths in boxing. there has yet to be a death in any SANCTIONED MMA event.

People like to point out how bad MMA is because of cuts or arm/leg breaks. In reality these things don't happen because it is just a bad sport. Nearly all bone breaks occur because a fighter decides not to give in to a submission. You have broken collar bones, but that is not because it's MMA.

Boredom:
    In MMA you have relatively little boring time. Boxing is full of it. In MMA fighters are trying to win. In boxing on most occasions at least in the big fights, you have more of a situation where the boxers are trying to score points for a win rather than go out and finish the fight. You don't see many of the big name guys actually ending fights any more do you? Some people argue the skill involved in boxing. While that is true, a lot of it is also taking the safe road.

just a few thoughts/rants

3. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    my reason: kick to the face

4. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    I agree with everything here. I've watched boxing for years, and it really just bores me. I can't quit watching an MMA fight; there's just not a dull moment. It also seems that MMA has better match-ups.

5. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    on the better matchups comment, I agree. I feel that since there are other disciplines involved in MMA some fighters may be stronger in one thing while the opponent may not necesarily fight that way and the fights get very interesting because of this, the fighters need to be well rounded in all disciplines. While in boxing, if you are a good boxer compared to a mid level boxer or a bad boxer you will see a big gap in skill level.

Keep it coming everyone!

6. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Way too much square dancin' in boxing.

7. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    :smile2: you are right, always one moving back and the other one chasing him.

8. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    I don't know how many times I've yelled at my tv due to lack of action. It's like, "Come on, fight already."

There's at least one plus to boxing: ESPN's Teddy Atlas. I love to hear him do boxing events.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The guillotine choke!!

BB in SC

10. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona

is it great?:wink:

11. BowieKnife357

BowieKnife357 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I'm with the majority here, definately prefer MMA. My parents always watch boxing matches whenever they can, and I've watched a few too. Just can't get into it like I can an MMA match. Whenever I happen to stumble across a boxing match I'll watch and keep waiting for one guy to get belted in the face with a high kick or take a knee to the chin for leaning too far one way or another. Then I realize I'm watching boxing and feel stupid. It happens. I'm thinking it's not going to take long for MMA to pass boxing in popularity (if it hasn't already). I do know that I see more and more adds for BJJ and Muay Thai/kickboxing gyms popping up, and even a handful actually advertising MMA directly. With that in mind if you asked me where a regular boxing gym was I couldn't tell you. Just my thoughts on the matter. :wink:

12. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I hear you I ordered the Mayweather, Marquez fight and it sucked. Mayweather won every round and just dominated the fight. There was also the UFC fight on that I wish I would have ordered. I wish I had my $50 back.

13. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Heres another vote for MMA. I love all the different forms - boxing, muay thai, wrestling, bjj and well like jeffro said, a kick to the face!!!

14. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    I love MMA. Ive taken Brazilian JuJitzu for about 3 years so i get to see it in a professional sport. Thats why i love it.

15. JCOMBS919

JCOMBS919 New Member

State:
    COUNTRY CITY, NC
    THE REASON I LOVE MMA AND NOT BOXING

DID ANYONE WATCH THE RICKY HATTON VS PRETTY BOY FLOYD??

FLOYD MAYWEATHER IS A GREAT FIGHTER AND DOES WHAT IT TAKES TO WIN BUT, ALL HE DOES IS THROW A BUNCH OF FAST PUNCHES WITH NO POWER BEHIND THEM. JUST A LITTLE TAP, NO KNOCKOUTS AND THATS NOT VERY EXCITING FOR ME!!

16. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    UMMM, Mayweather knocked Hatton out dude.

17. JCOMBS919

JCOMBS919 New Member

State:
    COUNTRY CITY, NC

15TH ROUND TKO AFTER 15 ROUNDS HUGGING AND TAPS HE WAS JUST IN BETTER SHAPE, HATTON GOT TIRED

18. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    I personally prefer MMA all the way to Boxing. I miss the days though when it had less rules, but i guess they had to make it safer. I think that it is a complete skill set that makes a good fighter, not just the stand up or grappling.

19. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    boxing died a long time ago to me. after tyson vs hollyfield, and lennox lewis came in the picture I quit watching heavyweight boxing. then roy jones lost his touch I quit watching boxing all together. I watched some of the big names fights the oscar, manny, etc. sometimes but never paid for them always went to the bar and watched them. I don't like mayweather for what he said about mma, he has no clue of what the sport is about and the comment he made is just absurd. I gaurantee mayweather would not last a full round with a top mma fighter. I know miguel torres want's him and I'd bet my house and all mayweather would lose horribly. MMA is the purest form of fighting there is and ever will be in my opinion. Even roman gladiators had weapons and armour. I wish the UFC would adopt pride rules but I guess we can't get everything we want.

20. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Maybe you like MMA better cause you dont know nothing about boxing. Boxing matches stopped going 15 rounds in the 1980's after Boom Boom Mancini killed Duk Koo Kim in the ring. Anyways, Mayweather knocked Hatten out in the 10th, the fight was scheduled to go 12 rounds.