Why I hate Walmart

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by vlparrish, Dec 10, 2005.

1. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    This is why I hate Walmart. My wife and I went to Walmart last night. We were going to pick up a few items and come on home. Out of the ten items that we had in the cart, two of the items was a case of oil and a small produce bag of loose tangerines. According to the price marked on the shelf the case of oil was supposed to be 22.67 or somethingin change over twenty two dollars, I remember because my wife figured out all the oil prices by the ounce and the best buy was the case of oil. Now for the tangerines, according to the price on the shelf the tangerines were supposed to be .48 cents PER POUND. So we go to the checkout with our ten or so items and I set the case of oil up on the conveyer first so that it would be on the bottom of our cart. The cashier runs it across the scanner and it comes up 23 dollars and some change. Mind you out of the 20 or so checkouts that they have there only about five of them are open and everyone of them has at least 3 people waiting in line at them. So, I'm like it's only a dollar, no big deal. I let it slide out of courtesy, more or less for the people in line behind me and I don't like to wait twenty minutes for the manger on duty to correct a pricing problem, when it is only a dollar. So the cashier proceeds to finish ringing up our other items and when she gets to the tangerines, she is counting how many we have put in the bag. So I ask her why she is doing this and her reply is that they are .48 cents a piece. I calmly tell her that the price on the shelf is saying that they are .48 cents a pound. Now at this point, she puts them to the side and turns on her little flashing light. Then she finishes ringing up our other items and the manager still isn't over there. We tell her to keep the tangerines and put our stuff in the cart. On the way out the door, I tell my wife that is a good deal on tangerines and I ask her to take the stuff to the car while I wait back in line and try to get the "price thing" straightened out. You see I really like tangerines, but when it takes at least 4 or5 of them to make a pound that is four or five times the price as if you buy them by each. After a twenty minute bickering until I'm furious and the assistant manager personally changing the label on the shelf to say each instead of pound I still left without my tangerines. But I made sure that I stopped at the grocery store down the road a bought a nice big bag of them on the way home. AND THAT IS WHY I HATE WALMART.

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Timotha, Glad to hear it. Someone got justice on these bad pricing issues. I'm glad it was you, Vern

3. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Your story is the reason that i refuse to shop at walmart . Oh I still go when I have to but not very often. In fact this christmas we made al of my family christmas purchases at places other than walmart.

I hope the people of the USA wake up before it is to late.

4. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Hummmmmmm,

I wonder, does this sort of thing ever happen at any store besides Wal Mart??? I'm just guessing that it does, and just does'nt get brought up...

I certainly don't work for Wal Mart, and NO I don't have any stock there either, I was just kind of curious as to why this (store) seems to always get the negative comment's...

I have had similar things happen to me and my wife, at one of these stores before. There isn't any perfect place to shop as far as I'm concerned...

5. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Does anyone else hear the great vacuum sound from Wally world? When all the jobs are outsourced, not just including manufacturing, and Americans are out of jobs, WHO will shop at Wally world? Probably just the foreign countries that are getting the work. It's a catch 22. People shop there to save money, yet as we do, we put Americans out of jobs. It's getting hard to find anything made in America and if you do it's more expensive because Americans make more money, but don't want to spend it on American goods.????????????? Catch 22!

6. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    K-mart is just as bad, but they never have what you are looking for, LMAO!!!

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    :D :D :D .....LOL

8. little_fiddler

little_fiddler New Member

State:
    Otter Creek, Iowa
    I personally try to avoid shopping a Wally world. I feel this way because of the way they do business. It's fairly well known that when Wally comes to town they do everything they can to undercut any other competiton be it a chain store or the independent. In our town there is no longer any option but Wally world and a Thiesen store, and I'm not sure how much longer Theisen will last. IMHO we need to shop the small independents and bring an economy back to the small local businesses. Sure we will have to pay a little more but maybe some of our money will get spread arround a little bit better and help some of our neighbors make a living too.

9. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    Where else you gonna go? They are the only place you can go and get most everything you need at one stop. If you don't want to have to drive all over town to get your stuff, then you have to go to Walmart.

Everyone hates Walmart, but at this point, there's not much anyone can do but keep on shopping there.

10. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    i only go to wally world when i have no other choice and i mean no other choice. they are trying to bring in a super store into our town. its been voted out etc now wally world is trying to sue the town where i live to put in thier super store. what i dont understand is why cant they get it in thier heads no one in this town wants it. they have caused the closure of 9 stores uptown becasue they cant compete. my experience i had with our wally world is right after my wife and i met. she had bought one of thier batterys for her car it was 6 months old had a 3 year full replacement the cleark tried to charge her 48 bucks for a new battery i said excuse me its a full free replacment. 3 hours later i had her money back and went and got a new battery at a auto parts house. they hire idiots that cant even count. walmart sucks.

11. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

Kinda funny Bud,
    I had just about the same identicial things happen to me and my wife as Vern and Tim.If you look,just about all of us that posted are from different states.I'm sure it happens in different store chains,but something like that happens at our WalMart,99% of the time.We don't shop there unless,it's the only place left,to get what we need.Thought i was one of the only one's that,thought this way about them.I agree with Mutt! :D
    Leakyboat

12. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Oh don't get me started about Wal-Mart. I've been watching how they do things for almost 20 years.

Look out Mom & Pop wal-marts coming to your town soon.

13. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I hated going to wal-mart this evening, I was trying to take back something that I bought first the lady said that the customer service was closed then she said maybe that lady over there will take me, then I stood around for another 20mins before she ran me up, I was about ready to say something to hear then she grabbed my item and rang me up, I told her that the service was redicious and then I got in a huge arguement with her.

Chris

14. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    good luck finding a store that carrys as much content as wally world
    i too like to give mom and pops business when i can but its hard to find everything in one store like a wallyworld super center.
    and good luck finding anyone business that only has american made products
    if you do find one be kind and share the source . again good luck.

in this day and age with the amount of volume these stores have to carry
    ive encountered several problems with advertisement of one product only to be out of that item and have to settle with the next equal or near so item in stock
    that is a big pet peave of mine.
    never fails on those sale ad days they are out of stock. LOL

i still like wally world its just a store to me .

15. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    I hate WalMart also, however it's for a different reson than most. I agree it's not good for small businesses, and you have to wait in long lines, and getting the right price is a hassle if you choose to fight about a price marked one way and then find out at the check-out it's different. If the line is not too long at the return desk (lmao), go up there with your reciept and show them the price difference and they will refund your money.

Now for why I hate WalMart. My wife works there. The best part of that statement is she works in Sporting Goods :D .......... The hours suck, the pay is not so great, and WalMart could give a s--- if your happy or not. Employee or not. It's hard to give good customer service if Management won't help the clerk in time of need (un- happy customer)...... My wife is always upset at something mang. has done or not done. They change her shift to suit those that b---- the loudest instead of who has earned the better shift. No wonder you can't find good help there, everyone's pissed that works there. It's taken her forever to become a Full-Time employee. Many month's worked at 39 1/2 hrs with no benefits cause she was not full time. Hell, now that she is full time, some weeks she doesn't even get 39 1/2 hrs. GO FIGURE THAT OUT !
    She was a full time 911 operater four over 5 years and she tells me WalMart is more stressful then working for the Police / Fire Dept.

16. silver_dollar

silver_dollar New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I really like Walmart and shop there on a regular basis. There have been incidents of defective merchandise, mispriced items and such, but no more than other stores, especially considering the tremendous volume of Walmart.

There are several times I hear Walmart being "bashed", but I have personally never had a problem that was not handled, solved or remedied by personnel at Walmart.

You don't get to be the largest retailer in the world by doing the wrong thing to customers. I suppose that is why Walmart's parking lot is filled all the way to the highway almost anytime you pass by. They must be doing SOMETHING right!

These are my observations....been shopping Walmart for many, many years. Harland

17. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Great Post Sheryl I agree with everything you say.....I do shop there at times because thats about all there is around me.

18. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    I am a firm believer that most of the people that work at places Like Walmart can't get a job anywhere else. They mostly don't have qualifactions good enough to find a good job. I will also say that there are some workers there that work there as a second or temporary job until a job they are qualified for becomes available. Then they leave there fast.

There are a lot that don't know what the word responsibility means and never will. One of the hardest jobs is dealing with the general public.

When a company is trying to stick it everyone they deal with who do you think their employees are going to be rude to ?

19. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    i have to disagree with one statement walmart does not sell ONLY american made items. look at 99% of thier electronics made in japan etc and when i got up this morning i didnt see mention of japan or any other of them countrys being part of the USA lol

20. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    one sad/funny story about a wally world incident
    went there and kids talked me into getting a few fish
    for my large catfishes dining pleasure LOL (NOT INTENTIONALLY)

well this teenaged worker came to the section from another dept.
    and after nearly killing the fishtrying to catch them with wild jabbing
    uncoordinated stabs with the net.
    and a record slowest fish order fill in all petstore history.
    he procedes to fill the bags with water out of the tap
    LOl i thought that was tap water but who am i to tell the
    aquatic pets technition his job?
    well needless to say by the time we got home all but one
    was toes up in the bags LMAO.