Why I CPR

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Oct 17, 2009.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have gotten into alot of arguments on here on why I favor CPR.

I have nothing aginst someone taking a few fish home to eat, but when I see catches of 500 to 700lbs kept I cant help but say something.

To better understand my views here is what makes me tick, and some things I have seen first hand.

When I catch a big flathead, it is such a thrill, and sense of satisfatction and pride, that knowing all the hard work I put into it paied off.
    No way could I kill that big fish knowing what joy it gave me, I realese it quick hoping it spawns and spreads the gene pool to make more big fish for me, my kids and other to catch. I want to see this sport around along time.

Now some of the things I have personally seen.

40-lb flatheads laying dead in a dumpster at a bait shop after a picture was taken.

Several times I have come across several big flatheads tied to a rope, and left rotting in the river.

I have seen people catch big flathead and bash there heads in with a big rock and leave them on the bank to rot.

I have come across trotliners camped on the bank drunk, and they have told me and I quote, " we are after big shovel heads to sell to paylakes to make beer money.

I have seen trotliners pull into the boat ramp and unload hundred of pound of flatheads into holding takes, and heard them brag about how much money they were gonna make buy selling them.

And the tihing that bothers me the most is that the laws wont stop them.

I personally realease every catfish I catch big or small, the big ones to spawn, and the little ones to grow big.

Cpr and trying to somehow protect our trophy flatheead population is something that I just cant change about myself, and I would not have it any other way.

trophy catcfishing is growing in leaps and bounds, everyone is out after them, and if we cant educate people on the importance of realeasing these big fish, I can see these fish going the way of the buffalo.

Now I cant speak for other states, maybe in other states flatheads are as plentifull as bluegill? But here in Ohio they are not, and if we aint carefull our children are not going to be able to enjoy this sport as we do now.

And we will only have ourselfs to blame.

We will be able to show our kids pictures of big flatheads we caught, only to hear them say daddy take me fishing I want to catch one, our answer will be sorry son, or daughter, they were over fished and there aint anymore to catch.

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I CPR so they can be caught and sold to pay lakes. LOL! :crazy:

3. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    i am a cpr guy occ. i will eat a few farm pond chanells man those are good never ate a flat cat any big fish deserves to swim another day

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I hear ya Jack, I totally agree. Sometimes its frustrating hearing the cry of " I can do what I want with my fish".

If we all just took a few eaters here and there things would be great but people always think their freezer needs filling or the lame excuse of feeding poor families.

Thank goodness that there are a lot of responsible alternative method and r/r folks that do cpr and support it. If it wasn't for folks releasing fish there would be A LOT less fish out there now.The problem is that its gonna take more people to start releasing to have better fisheries.

I also think that most states lack DNR staff and officers that have catfish in their best interest.

All we can do is stick to our guns and keep on releasing them. Hopefully we can make a difference for the next generation of cat smacker ; )

Thanks for the thread and supporting Cpr Jack ; )

-Jim-

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Gee Jack, and all these years I thought you CPR'd cause the pay lake wouldn't let you take those fish home. LOL

I'm only Kidding Jack.

You cpr for the same reasons all the rest of us normal people do.
    "We want to catch them when they're full grown at 80 or 90 pounds or more."

6. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Jack this is a great thread ,i like to keep a few fish at times to eat ,but i have not kept any over about 10 lbs .The one big flat i have caught so far was released in just a couple mins of landing an it spashed me with water when it swam away .

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Gotta let them big ones swim! :wink: Good Post Jack! rollo

8. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    well I would be mad to if I saw some of the crap you have seen....but I look at it a different way....

same as if you were trophy buck hunting...you take the biggest oldest buck that is at the end of his days and NOT breeding anymore...you don't take a trophy buck for it's meat...you take it for the mount

and the whole save em for the kids future is just b/s....any trophy fish you catch and release will be dead with old age before the next generation would get a shot at him....

over fishing will damage a fishery but taking a trophy fish at the end of his days is just fine with me...fish do not spawn there whole life

great post Jack....and I promise to fight fair....no below the belt blows here

9. arizhunter

arizhunter New Member

State:
    Goodyear, Az
    To willfully to let any game animal or game fish to go to waste is just plan wrong!This is what I was taught and believe. I don't know if this is illegal in all the states, but I feel it should be.Where I live its illegal to sell, buy and waste game. I try to aim my angry at the ones who willfully break the law. I trust the AZ game and fish to make the rules and set the limits. I think they know a heck of a lot more about this than I do.Maybe if I live somewhere else my views would change, this I don't know. I feel C.P.R. is great thing to do, but a personal choice. I will respect the views of others on this, as long as respect is shown

10. carolinakid76

carolinakid76 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    let the big ones go.:angry:

11. carolinakid76

carolinakid76 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    to kill any thing for fun is bull crap!:angry: let them big cats live there lifes out!

12. carolinakid76

carolinakid76 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    if you going to kill it you should eat it!:angry:

13. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    hey bro you are taking this personaly....I'm just a messenger of real life info....the good the bad and the ugly....I personaly never kill anything I don't eat.....but that dosn't change the rest of the world of trophy hunters....

14. catdaddychad

catdaddychad New Member

State:
    indiana
    I BELIEVE IN CPR!!! Let the big ones go for some kid to catch.

15. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I can see this thread ending up in the bone yard with the rest of em!:roll_eyes: Good thread going to crap. Been part of many of em myself. I know how Jack feels about this issue, but these topics always end up the same way on here.... Well just have to start another thread and giver a try again :wink::big_smile: rollo

DONT GIVE UP! NEVER GIVE UP! - Jimmy V

16. carolinakid76

carolinakid76 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    its all good. :big_smile: no hard feelings lol:big_smile:

17. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Here's a segment from The Freshwater Anglers Fishing for Catfish:

"Flatheads have relatively low reproductive capacity and are much slower to mature compared to other catfish. A female is usually 4 to 6 years old when mature and produces only about 1,000 eggs per pound of body weight. Channel and blue cats mature in 2 to 3 years and produce 3,000 to 4,000 eggs per pound body weight."

On one one of the few comprehensive flathead surveys conducted on the MN River (In Fisherman's #1 rated trophy flathead river in the U.S.), the fishery workers captured 49 flatheads and 2,200 channel cats.
    http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/publications/fwt/1995/Bigcatfi.pdf

The facts about flatheads are that they are a low population density fish with a low reproductive capability. It is absolutely important for people to release large flatheads--not doing so will impair the fishery. In fact, in the northern regions at least, I would like to see flatheads treated more like sturgeon--strict length limits and a 1 or 2 a year tag for posession--and of course catch and release fishing all year. :wink:

18. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    yea this is a great topic....thats for sure....this stuff needs to be talked about....but we need to keep it clean...

I'm not angry at any cpr guy...to each his own....but I'm not going to lie about what I do with my fish either...

you guys are just a little bit pushy with your cpr thoughts....and no one will ever listen if they are forced to.....try a different approach and maybe more will listen

19. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Life is a funny thing. I do things now i use to think was crazy, like playing golf.:eek:oooh: I use to cuss and raise hell everytime i passed a golf course sayin what a waste of ground. Now i love the game. Wouldn't eat dumplins cause my older brother said he didn't like them and now love em. At one time in my life if i caught it, i eat it. Big small or in between. After joining this site i got to thinking that folks are right. A 30 pound fish spawns more eggs than a fiddler does. I love fish, one of my favorite meals and think if a man wants to eat his catch thats his business. But i also believe that selective harvest is nessicary with any of our resources, be it fish, game, timber or whatever.

20. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    just because its called a trophy doesnt mean that it is at its "end of days" and not spawning. a trophy fish is what i consider to be 40#+. now this may be that way with deer i dont know im not that familiar with deer. but catfish live for a great deal of time if the conditions are right. in fact they can out live humans so for you to say that future kids wouldnt catch that trophy i did is just obtuse on your part. the more the flat weighs the more eggs is produced there for the more that have a chance of survivng. this is why cpr is important for the trophy fish. as for saving small ones for the table all i have to say on that is everyman has the right to put food on the table i have have no problems with that.