Why hang 'em????

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Fishking, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Fishking

Fishking Member

State:
    KC, MO
    Name:
    Andrew
    I have seen a lot of CPR’ed big fish over the years that are impaled on a scale or rope so they can be weighed. I have read many times about the stress this causes fish physically. With the fish being accustomed to gravity in the water etc. I would assume just taking a fish out of the water would be detrimental to it, then to hang the fish vertically on a scale would seem to cause significantly more damage. I’m a 110% CPR guy, but I wonder if these CPR’ed fish are being subjected to unnecessary trauma.

I have been guilty of doing this in my younger years plenty. I try to take great care of the fish to the best of my ability now. Sure big catfish aren’t the most easily handled fish once you get them in. But, why don’t more people weigh them in the net? They are easily supported in a net and are actually easier to handle when trying to get a weight. A Coffey County Scale has a tare function and knowing how much your wet net weighs isn’t that hard. I find it funny that a lot people talk about sharpening the hooks on the scales so they can easily jab the fishes jaw to get a weight, then CPR the fish. It doesn’t really make sense to me, when one causes unnecessary harm to a fish. I have noticed a lot of the St. Louis guy’s pics showing the hanging of catfish and some that fish the Missouri river doing the same thing. Please, any thoughts, suggestions and ideas are welcome on this thread. It is all about optimal survival with CPR.

2. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    I know that I have been guilty of it and this post has really made me think. I just got a net and have a coffey scale. Thanks for the eye opener and I will start to use the net for more than just landing the fish. I can see where a heavy fish hanging vertically would damage his internal organs.

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    if i plan to release a fish. no. i will not poke holes in its lips. i hook it under its jaw bone. if its to big for that i have a net bag in the boat.:wink:

4. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    :cool2: you make a verry good point brother i never thout of it that way and even if you dont have a scale that you was talking about you can always waigh the wet net one time then do the math a oz. eather way is not going to matter any way i will waigh my fish in a net from now own!!!!!!!:wink:

5. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    PS. that is if i ever catch one worth waighing agen lol:eek:oooh::wink::cool2:

6. Fishking

Fishking Member

State:
    KC, MO
    Name:
    Andrew

Excellent idea, a net bag would work flawlessly to.

7. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I agree 100%. Poking additional holes is an invitation to infection. Also flopping around on carpet or grass removes the protective barrier we refer to as slime. I know from being raised on a minnow and catfish farm, the less you handle fish, the greater their chance of survival are.

8. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Great point Andrew! I don't know how a fish could survive flopping around on the ground and then hanging from a tree. The fish would not have much of a chance of survival after being handled like that.

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Why the need to even take the fish out of water?
    Why not release it boat side?

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Great post and Question Andrew. I've been guilty myself. I agree with your theory. Thanks.

11. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Unfortunately we did just that in last Saturday's tournament - twice :sad2:

12. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Great Post and Subject!

I have to admit that I have weighed smaller fish by hanging them vertically by the jaw, however the larger fish I do try to weigh while they are in the net, I make it a point to get the weight and the pics very quickly to make sure that I am able to get the fish back into the water in a very timely manner!

Excellent subject, reps to ya.

13. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    river rat-whats the size cut of fish you get into over there? IM DYING FOR A 10# OR BETTER MORE LIKE 20# LOL "wishful thinking"

I think the makers of jaw hook scales lost about 25% of there quarterly just on your completely correct analyzation... I agree though I have only boated a fat 8# or so it makes complete sense to just weigh them in the net great post

14. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    You all have been talking about this " coffey scale" and I have never heard of it, besides on here. Where do you find them? and What makes them special?

15. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Jess I also have never heard of a coffee scale. I am Curious to see what it is.

Tom

16. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Jordan, look at Rat's avitar. Now, look at it again, knowing he is picks up pickup trucks for fun and holds weightlifting titles in both MO & IL. I am 40 lb's overweight for my age & height, Rat is twice my size and then some. See that fish he is holding? That aint no minnow!!! LOL

17. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I'm sitting here looking at my new "Coffee Scale" at this very moment. Other than it isn't waterproof, I love it. They are sponsors here on the BOC.

18. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    LMAO!!! Thanks for the compliment Kutter!!! I have been trying to slim down for my up coming nuptials and am down to a svelt and slender 363! :smile2::smile2::smile2:

The crappy thing about being this big though is this, trying to find a tux jacket that actually fits! My jacket size is a slim 64 while my waist is a 40-42.

I'm also a little nervous, all this heavy lifting has taken it's toll, I am having surgery the 28th of this month to fix my wrist (nerve damage) and again in December (torn rotator cuff). I have never been "cut" on before and am a wee bit scared!:sad2: The one at the end of this month shouldn't be to bad, a week off of work, the december one I'll be in a sling for six weeks!! :eek:oooh::sad2:

19. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Great post, Andrew. Over the past couple of years, I have been using the net to weigh more fish. It's easier on the overall well being of the fish, and easier on the person weighing the fish. Just like last year, when Branden's son Eric caught the 72, we weighed him and Branden's 44 in the net. All the fish that were caught Saturday were weighed in the net also. That brings up another point, boga's. When I caught my 65 last year, there wasn't a net in the boat, so we used boga's to land him, which is pretty much the same as hanging them. Needless to say, I always carry a large net in the boat everytime I go out now. I want to continue to catch these great fish, and will do anything I can to protect their well being.:wink:

20. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    My channel cat net weighs 1.1 lbs the big one 2.2. I always weigh 'em in the net and then release them. I don't even net them unless they are over 10 lbs.I get in too big of a hurry sometimes. Last year I tried to swing in a big male channel cat and snapped my $80 salmon rod right in the middle.It turned out to be 8.8 lbs.Now I grab the line and swing 'em in.I try not to even use the net if I don't have to. I do get line cuts on my hands every once in a while.:roll_eyes: