why goldfish?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by catnbox69, Sep 9, 2009.

1. catnbox69

catnbox69 New Member

State:
    burlington
    why do you want to cut the tail on a gold fish? how much of the tail do you want to cut off? im sure im not the only one wondering about this.:0a34:

2. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    I never cut them and I still catch fish. However the off colored ones have worked best for me, the ones with white or black on them.

3. Brandon829

Brandon829 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'm the same way, I never cut the tails off and still have success. As far as I can tell color doesn't make any difference for me.

4. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    Then they can't swim, they need to be live to catch the flatheads. I'm sure sooner or later if you cut the tails they would die.

5. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    Trimming the Tails and Fins is effective, but makes the bait short lived. Keep them whole, not matter the species, and you'll have better bait. I've only used gold fish a handful of times, but they work. Just seems crazy to me to spend 3 dollars a peice for bait, when you can catch all the sunfish you want with a dozen worms thats cost 1.99 at the Shell station.

6. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    When you cut the tail the bait can still swim effectively just not as fast or accurately. It still presents like natural and doesnt seem to effect the bite for me. I never trim the tail into the meat tho ive seem mbill do it and seems to lure in channel cats on accident. But anyhow i trim the tail only on larger baits...if the bait is 8+inches then i trim the tail so he doesnt make a tangled mess of my fishing line and rig. I run a slip float and it seems every time i run a 12inch sucker or bullhead he makes a mess unless i trim his tail and that seems to help. Everyone has their tried and true methods but i see no benefit to doing this except to keep the bait in once place and not tangling up all your lines.

7. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    I know a lot of folks trim the tail to make the bait work harder at staying upright. I've had better success in trimming off one pectoral fin...it makes the bait unstable and move more to keep its balance. I've also used a floating jig head and hooked it upside down so it tries to turn the fish over...the fish has to keep struggling to keep upright. It works.

8. keepitsimple

keepitsimple New Member

State:
    virginia
    Bought goldfish maybe twice, in my opionion I'd rather by a doz worms and use native bait that works better. I never cut any fins so they live longer. You start cutting fins the bait will wear themselves out faster and die

9. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    Not a gold fish fan! It would have to be last and only resort, kinda like starve to death, or eat a raw buzzard! The best bite latley has been on as lively as you can get in the 6-12in size with out a fin trim, all natural.

10. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    I understand that trimming the tail is supposed to release more scent into the water. How effective this technique really is has already been answered.

I have to join the others who would feel that goldfish as bait is about as sensible as fishing with jumbo shrimp or NY strip steak--people do it, but I wouldn't waste the money!

11. SlightlySeine

SlightlySeine New Member

State:
    Big "R" Town, Va
    Ditto on trimming the pectoral fin, it gives a bait a more erratic swimming pattern, as in "a fish in distress". But with any bait, not just goldfish. As far as price, I've used Goldfish because they were "cheaper" than regular minnows. I'd take a Gill over a Goldfish any day, especially at $3 a piece :wink:

12. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I never cut the tail off, they swim better and stay stronger longer with the tail on.

13. festus

festus New Member

How big is a $3 goldfish exactly? I've never seen them in bait shops any bigger than 3" to 4" around here, at $2 a dozen. They're fancy ones, multicolored. I don't see the ones anymore they used to call Baltimore minnows. Baltimores were the drab, olive colored goldfish, usually about 2" long. They were good crappie baits, well, just about anything else would hit them and they were cheap.