Why Garlic?

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by Ga Fisher, May 25, 2009.

1. Ga Fisher

Ga Fisher New Member

State:
    Camilla,Ga
    :eek:oooh: I have a question...I've read bits and pieces where you use Garlic Powder...I know Catfish love stinky stuff but do they really go crazy with stuff that's been soaked in Garlic?

I have a huge container of chicken livers I am going to freeze should I soak them with Garlic powder before freezing?

Thanks All!!

2. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Hi Lydia!

That all depends on what type of Catfish you are persueing!
    For Channel Cats, I would say go for it and use the added Garlic to the chicken livers. Channels like smelly stuff once in a while. Want something that smells better? Try Vanilla flavoring!! I use this, added to my blood bait. The added sweet smell turns them on!!

Now for blue cats, try some cut bait like shad, bluegills, skipjack, carp and the such. Just make sure it is fresh!!

Flatheads: Go with live bait. Shad, carp, goldfish, small bullheads and the such.

Good luck and go catch that monster!!:big_smile:

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Lydia you will not be disappointed with the results of garlic. I've use it many different ways and had excellent results. It want take long for the fish to tell you how much they like it. Good Luck.

4. sscharlie

sscharlie Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    Hi Lydia, Garlic of some sort will do wonders for the channel bites. I won't use just plain liver for channels unless it has some sort of spice on it. The vanilla is good too and also just plain salt added to it. Don't be afraid to dump it on.
    I have 5 bags of liver in the freezer with different formulas already in it. Do a search of garlic and read everything ya can. It's doesn't have to stink to be a good channel bait plus it makes the air around us a little more pleasant..LOL
    Which would you rather smell, rotten stinky or (vanilla)cookies????

5. Ga Fisher

Ga Fisher New Member

State:
    Camilla,Ga
    Thanks Everyone! I got a few containers of different stuff mixed up..I am going to try them out hopefully this weekend !

I'm not used to the chicken liver..I usually fish with Mullet Guts :eek:oooh: Stinky Junk!

Since everyone around here knows they work good I can rarely get any lately :angry: so I'm going to try up some different mixes for livers

Thanks again everyone!

6. Gotbuck

Gotbuck New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    How are all of you using your chicken livers? I use mine on a treble hook with pantyhose wrapped around. I have caught 3 cats on the same hook and bait before. The wife thought I was crazy asking if I could use her old pantyhose. The look in her eyes was priceless:smile2:. Just cut it in 4" squares and lay it under your hook unattached to your line, bait the hook, then wrap it around the hook and punch it through the hook eye and barbs on the treble. Make a whole bunch and keep them cold while fishing.

7. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    I fished one of the local areas on the river the other night and the only bite I got was a huge bite on chiken livers and panty hose, only problem was I had just loaded my line with braid and I jerk it plum through the mouth, nothing but panty hose and a little liver left in the treble hook! Still learning as I go along!

8. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Okay. channels it will work on. and pretty much any other fish out there. lil blues like it to. but if you want the big fish. you need to use cut bait or live bait.

9. Justyn Catfisherman

Justyn Catfisherman New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Lydia, I love fishing with garlic on any bait i use. I will add it to any stink bait. And i put it on nightwalkers, live bait, cut bait and livers.

I would use it if i were you.

Can someone tell me how to ask a question i am new please just send me a message. THANK YOU.

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I have yet to see a chicken liver swim by me in the boat. I only use bait native to the waters I fish. That said, certainly a few fish can be caught with many different types of meat and/or gimmicks. I know limb liners that bait their hooks with Ivory soap.

Bill in SC