why floats

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Apr 30, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    im no new comer as yall know, whats all this talk about floats latly i fish from the bank on the bottem, why use a float , is it better than bottem rigging, just thought floats were a blue ore channel thing, but all this talk is making me think about triying one, but flats dont come to the top???????????

2. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I dont use floats much either , I have used the light up bobbers a few times . I think when they talk of flatties with floats its using the ones with a stopper just to keep bait a little off bottom .

3. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    I use floats as flats eyes are on top of there head an they look up to see bait plus bluegills swim up and I love watching the bobber take off accrossed the lake.

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Flat heads will feed up off bottom. We used to catch lots of them on jugs. Now our jugs only had 3ft of line out on them. Fishing for the most part 12' or better of water even over 40ft of water.
    We would catch lots of big flat heads doing this. I for one would rather have a float to suspend the bait off bottom a few feet. But theres different methods for each and every fisherman.
    Pete

5. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    Ive caught good flatties on top water...and i mean on top of the water with just a lil splash...they will tear it up :wink: take a look at my avatar..that cat was caught using a float and the bait was on the surface:cool2: don't be afraid to try diff. depths as cats wont do the same thing day in day out...in my opinion

6. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    your telling me flats arnt on bottem alot, , is this a daytime tactic, im asuming you got to have light, on the buber, ive never seen a flat come on tope in deeper water, only in 2 to 5 feet, so im asuming u can use them red light up bobbers at walmart with a gill 2 feet below,, them are hard for a guy to know if its the bait pulling it under,, them slipfloats, i dont know if its a benafit to to use them at night or not, , my typings having a problem, if u see dissjointed sentece, dont know why its doing this, its messed up

7. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Flats, and channels, (no blues around here), can do what they want,,,Especially flats, as they're the Big Dog (pun) in the water.. If it looks good and they want to eat it,, they will.

I've caught them on bait rigs with a nightcrawler,, yea, a Zebco 33 combo with a 15# Flat on it,, make ur hair stand up!!!:wink:

8. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I use a float most of the time for flatheads. I set my depth at 5 ft in any depth of water . I vary seldam fish at night . If I do I have a light stick on the float.

9. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    I agree, last year we hit a dry spell not catching anything, finally out of despiration, i put out a float rig and started catching cats. took a little trial and error to get the right depth, but its a good method.

10. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Jake, I use bobbers a night because I don't fish in the day much because in the day I am tryin to catch bait.

I love the Katbobbers that Pete sells from Wild Wolf products. And he sells glowstick for the bobbers too.

I like the 3" kat bobbers the best for lakes I don't use them in rivers much because I bank fish 90% of the time an the current just don't let me use them much.

Flatheads do swim on the bottom but there eyes are on top of there head and they are pointing up in the water column so IMO flats that bite on the bottom are either really hungery or the fish is moving so much that when he swims on top of him that he feels him.

Nothing better them watching that bobber take off accros the lake with a fish on. Plus with a bobber you can tell when the baitfish is dyin as the bobber slows or quits moving at all.

Here is a link to Petes bobbers and glowstick he also is a sponsor here with the BOC.

http://www.wildwolfproducts.com/katbob.htm

http://www.wildwolfproducts.com/glowstick.htm

11. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    To me the light-up bobbers you get at wal-mart is a waste of money, when it comes to catfishing. You need a bobber big enough to float a 3 to 5" bluegill without it pulling the float under.
    The ones that Wild Wolf products sells are what you need for catfishing. they are big enough you can float a hand size sun fish and enough lead to hold the bait down with no problem, and they have a hole to insert the light stick so you can see them at night.
    Check out the cat-bobber on their web site they are listed in the sponsor section here on the BOC.:wink:

12. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    IF YOU'RE FISHING FROM A BOAT ALONG A RIP RAP AREA I THINK YA SPEND MORE TIME ACTUALLY FISHING WITH A FLOAT THAN ON BOTTOM WITH LIVE BAIT - GET THE WIND BLOWIN INTO THE BANK AND YOU CAN GET A SUNFISH 3FT DEEP IN 5FT OF WATER - I FEEL THIS IS THE IDEAL SITUATION AND YOUR PRESENTATION WILL BE MORE NATURAL AND VERY FEW HANG UPS:wink:

13. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I agree with shellby and Ken. Those fatcat bobbers from wildwolf are really nice and affordable pluss the optiobn to put in a glow stick, you cant beat that. There are very many differnt ways to fish it to. I like holding the fatcat a couple feet from the snags, that works, and let it drift across the hole and most likely the fish will set its self. Where i fish below the dam 2' is exactley in the middle so how can you go wrong, IMO. Good Luck brother

14. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Jake.......fishing a live bluegill on a float is one of the most productive ways to catch big flatheads at night in shallow water brother. I have been doing it for a long time. Several different ways to rig up though. I dont fish rivers so I dont know much about that situation. But if you are fishing lakes and fishing from the bank this will improve your odds greatly in my opinion. I've recently been experimenting with a different way to rig and have come up with what I think is going to be killer!
    Many of the times as I will fish a float at night with live bluegills, I have noticed with any wind at all the float will wash up to the shore and the bait will go under the rocks.....thus reducing my chances of catching a good one. So last week.....I tried this, I ran a 5' leader to a sinker 3 oz. to a 3-way swivel with float above the 3 way then a bobber stop. I am now able to fish a live bluegill in any depth of water and keep the bluegill up on top without the bait being able to hide under rocks or get tangled in log jams. Since I fish for flats at night and they go on the prowl at night looking for an easy meal......the bluegill struggling to get to cover and unable to....keeps trying and causing lots of attention brought to himself. Last week was the first time I tried the sinker leader and at 2:30 am had a great run on a live bluegill on a float. The bait was on top of the water splashing around and the depth of the water was 5' and was 5 or 6 ' from the shore line.....this is optimum conditions in my opinion. So I think that by keeping the bait from being able to hide all night, this will improve my odds of catching more fish.
    I do still fish several rods rigged up on bottom with live baits, but its on a more shallow sandy point.....seems to be working so far. I fish 3 rods with bottom rigs and 3 rods with the float rigs.....I'll let you know how it compares this year versus last year, when I mainly bottom fished except for 1 rod on a float. If your looking for a great catfish bobber....try wild wolfe products. One of our sponsors and use the green glow sticks that insert into the bobbers for night fishing. They work great!:wink:

15. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    I just purchased two sizes of the Wild Wolf Kat bobbers and light sticks to give them a try. They are big compaired to what you see on store shelves but then we aren't fishing with a little worm either.

16. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    id try it but, to me its a hasel, becouse i fisg three polls, one tight lined one with a clicker, ,seems like clickers cut your hookups, by time you get a run you grab the rod and hes gone, howhever tightlining, your eyes are on the rodall night, so i split it up, most of the big ones hamer it lset themlvsd seco , but only half the time, i got a 6 pounde last night, and missed a five second run, but it ran and came back in to me wen i grabed the poll, could of benn big

17. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    how do you think trot lines and jug lines catch flatheads ? they suspend a bait close to a surface and limblines also put a live bait just inch's under the surface and catch huge flatties

18. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky

Jake....you've been commenting on wanting to catch more flatheads and many have given you good solid advice. You think it is a hassle to try one on a float because you fish 3 rods?.....Heck...I fish 6 & 7 rods all night for flatheads.:wink:

19. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    I can only use 3 rods here in KS but have used a bobber on all three poles and had no problems I do use the clickers on my abu's and it seems to help.

20. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I agree with John 100%..I'm:confused2:.listen to what they have said and you'll catch more Flats; As for floats I never fish on bottom dead lined.100% of the time I fish floats and 90% of the time I'm fishing the Bottom.

Lets say finding the thermocline in a lake during the summer months at 9' and your fishing a rock flat at night @9' with a slipfloat rig with a 16-18" leader.

Setting the depth at 10'6" will produce more strikes on BOTTOM ( Why ?) because you cast your bait out past the 9' area, snap your line to get it to sink and pull about 6-10' line off your reel, the line will sink and your float will slowly drift/move back towards you and as the weight hits BOTTOM @ 9' and stops..Now your in the strike zone on top of the rock flat fishing the most productive water .

When you see the float move around the bluegill or whatever live bait you are using is getting nervous,,Now is the time to get up and get ready for the hookset.:wink:

I hope you understand what I just wrote because its a deadly technique on flatheads,,, pretty much on all catfishing when it come to floats. Good Luck.:cool2: