Why fish for carp?

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by lifesaver_37887, May 16, 2007.

1. lifesaver_37887

lifesaver_37887 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    What is the reason for fishing for carp other than cut bait and for fun? I have heard of people eating them.

2. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Fishing for carp anywhere else in the world is concidered a gentlemans sport. They are also concidered a delicacy everywhere else but in the USA. I love to catch them on ultralight tackle, and I usually have some friends and family that enjoy eating them.

Aaron

TA2D

3. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    If you ever hook into one in the 25 to 30lb range plus fighting a current, you'll know why :cool2:

I don't care to eat it, but, I had some an "ol timer" fixed up for me and my buddy last year and I couldn't get it in my mouth fast enough.. My goodness that stuff was good....He said its all in the way you clean, score, and fix it... No idea what he did, man that stuff was good....

4. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i'll be honest with ya if the cats ain't bitting i always try and find some carp to catch..just for fun. i like to use something lite and try my best to get them in. even the small ones will give you a work out.

5. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Why fish for anything? They can be eaten, although I have not ate them. The reason I do so is they are numerous and large. Some enjoy the thrill of a 5lb bass, give me a 20lb carp. Fishing in a current against a 15lb carp is one of the hardest fights I have had. The 30lb flat in my avatar does not hold a candle to a 22lb 6 oz carp I had earlier this year, or the 27lber last year. I can catch many carp in one day, and an do so on topwater, which is my favorite way. I walk the bank free lining bread and look for the big ones. Sheer numbers, tons of fight, and a good way to get kids into fishing. Plus carp in pressured waters can get smart and wary. More so than any catfish I have caught. It is even harder to weed out smalle rones and only catch large ones. Tons of challenge in this so called trash fish.

6. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    Carp are one of the toughest fighting fish and in my opinion the roughest fighting freshwater fish. Last year I caught and 8lb cat in current and the other day I caught a 5lb carp and that was a harder fight than the cat. I fish for them b/c i enjoy the catch. And I enjoy releasing them unharmed to fish for another day. They are a challenge to catch. You have to find them and this might be hard to do on a big water. Thats one of the best parts of carping. Searching for the fish and finding the motherload! The next best part is catching those carp. The third part thats also enjoyable is releasing the carp to get bigger.

Hope this helps you understand why they are so great to fish for!

If you have any other questions shoot me a Pm

Tom

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I like catching carp, but don't care for the taste of them; they don't taste bad, they just don't taste good. But, I'll be the first to admit that preparation has a lot to do with the way they taste. Maybe I just haven't tried it with the right recipe.

8. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    I will say they are a strong fighting fish, slimy, but a whole lot of fun.
    They will put up a fight as good if not stronger the a cat.
    TRY IT YOU WILL LIKE IT
    elwood

9. bigcat_chaser

bigcat_chaser New Member

State:
    Cincy, Ohio
    Man, I'll fish for anything the whole key too it is just to be fishing and you can bet that when I finally get out of this old desert I'm a going fishing and dont care whats biting .:big_smile:

10. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    They are Great fish and are not the Trash Fish that it has been labeled. They are Strong and will fight you all the way to the net or shore. It is addictive once you have one on any tackle, you will want to feel the rush of this fight again. For average ANGLER/FISHERPERSON this is a fish for the fun of it DEAL. As was stated earlier, they are eaten by many European countries and are also placed on pedistols by the English. This is a fish of many faces and sizes. They are a Sport Fish and should be given that position!!!! JMHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOPPY4

11. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Carp are always fun to catch. I like going down to the river or the creek during the summer, building a fire, and catching a crap load of carp with a buddy or two. Its always fun, because you always catch something, and they fight sooooo well. Also, you can keep one every now and then for cutbait if you want to! I enjoy fishing for carp, and hate to see it when people catch a big carp, and throw it up on the bank to die. It's such a waste to see.

12. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    If you can, find out how he prepared the carp, I'd be really interested in learning about that!:cool2:

13. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    cut bait and fun are why i fish for them, haha. i have been catching them on a fly rod lately, and it is hilarious! if the cats aren't biting, you can still get a workout on carp. never again will i throw one on the bank to die. if i don't make bait out of them, they go back in the water.