Why Dull a Good Hook?

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by FishOnChuck, May 23, 2008.

1. FishOnChuck

FishOnChuck New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Took my daughter catfishing at Ft. Gibson Lake last Sunday morning. After catching shad at the back of a cove at daylight, I decided to put out a few rods there as quite a few fish were feeding in the area. After throwing out the first rod and putting it in the rod holder, I went to bait up a second. My daughter started hollering, tried to get the rod out of the holder, and the fight was on. I went to the back of the boat to get the net and heard her holler "What is that?!" when the fish came up to look around. After a few strong runs, she finally got the fish back near the boat. When it rolled, I saw it was a paddlefish with the line wrapped around its middle and the hook lying along its side (unhooked). It looked like someone had wrapped it up and tied it neatly like a package. I thought there was no way this would hold long, but after several more runs and unsuccessful netting attempts, we finally got it in the boat. A picture is attached. Only thing I can guess is that it swam into the line, wrapped itself up, and the tying job held. My daughter was quite excited and had never seen a paddlefish. I explained that the chances of that happening again were about one-in-a-million. In all the excitement of taking pictures and trying to get the fish back safely in the lake, I forgot to weigh it. Any of you more experienced snaggers have a guess on weight? We went on to catch quite a few eater-sized blues, so it was a good day. While the biggest fish of the day was never hooked, my daughter now is. :smile2:

Attached Files:

2. leupy

leupy New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have never seen one either. Very nice story and one you both will remember forever.

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I wouldn't guess the weight but thanks for pic and congrats on the memory for ya'll.

4. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    That thing is huge, I dont believe I could guess the weight but thats a humungous spoon bill, thats the biggest one I have ever seen, I say it probably would go at least good 50 pounds or more thanks for sharing the picture with us, and good luck to you from here on out on the rest of your fishing trips.

5. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma
    Steve that is a great story and o0ne that I am sure the two of you will tell for years to come. Thanks for sharing it with us.

On the weight it is hard to say because the lower 1/3 or so of the fish is out of the picture. But I feel safe in saying it looks like an easy 30 pounder to me. The thing about judging weight on a spoon is forcing yourself to overlook those huge gill plates and long paddle.

Congrats Steve's daughter!

Larry

6. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    Nice looking fish and a great story!

7. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Steve, that's a huge spoonbill. Congrats to your daughter! Wish we could add those points to the "Fish Off". It is a hige fish and thanks for the report!

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    The weight is not important. Tell your daughter congrats on a nice fish. She will always remember it.:smile2:

9. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    By looking at the size of the bill and mouth with what I can see of the body, It looks like the ones we snag on the wall that go between 45 to 50lbs. Tell her congrats on the great catch. Now she'll want you to rig her up and take her snagging.

10. lonnie84

lonnie84 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Congrats' to your daughter and you. :big_smile: