Why does no one talk about the Oklahoma City Lakes???

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by SkipEye, Feb 10, 2008.

1. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Are they that bad??????

Finally found a game and fish article that states Blue Cats are indeed in all of the city lakes, yet no one talks about them much?

Flatheads would be tough this time of year but the Blues should bite.

I am in town for another month and a half with a boat, so advice, tips would be good. Gonna check out Draper this afternoon. Never hear of anyone doing good there but it is close to where I am.

Phil Washburn, don't hear much out of you lately but we gotta go fishing. Have my boat stored a few miles east of Moore this time and I am staying in Moore so I am a little closer to mutual lakes this time.

Any other locals want to give it a try just shoot me a PM.

Thanks folks!

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Ol' Skip, they just don't want to give up the honey holes afraid you'll catch all the big ones. I know you CPR but maybe they don't wanna be shown up on their own turf...:wink::smile2:

3. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    LMAO!!!! I don't know about that John.:smile2:

Although we all caught fish at Kerr Lake yesterday, Johnny 777 was putting a hurt on me fishing out of the same boat with the same bait!:eek:oooh:

4. oh_darn

oh_darn New Member

State:
    Nixa, MO
    Draper's not too bad. I've caught a few out there out by point 6. live perch seem to work pretty good.

5. catfisherokie

catfisherokie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Fort Cobb was good yesterday at the tournament. 98 lbs took first with 7 fish. You might give that lake a try. It is an hour or so west of Moore.

6. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i would give thunderbird a try, or if you had time on a weekend run down to texoma, what are you doing in the city, if you don't mind me asking, construction??

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Yep, they are that bad. They are holding tanks for water that fish accidentally live in. And thats just about it. LOL

8. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Well, I tried Draper yesterday. I did mark a bunch of fish holding tight to the bottom at mostly 25 ft., but nothing came of it. Tried shallow to 2 ft deep, tried medium depth and deep also. ZIP! LOL!!!!!

Still had fun on the water. Funny, had the whole lake to myself except for one or two recreational boaters.

Even beached the boat, threw my lines out and spent some time trying to find som eRose Rocks and got skunked in that endeavor also.

Thinking about trying Texoma for the holiday weekend.

Awshucks, thanks for your optimism.:smile2: LMAO!!! (or honesty, whichever the case)

9. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    2 words sum it all up

RED CLAY

LMAO, I just couldn't resist that, sorry :big_smile:

10. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    Darryl, i am still up for some evening fishing at konawa, or some evening/night fishing at T-Bird...i have a few jugs.
    we should be able to pick up some blues at T-Bird in the channel....give me a call buddy

11. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Why does no one talk about the Oklahoma City Lakes???

Thems of us that do don't want everyone else to know our secret spots... as if there can be a secret spot in a bathtub.

Hefner comes to mind as a great big bathtub with a soft mud bottom and very little structure. There have been some HUGE catfish caught out of it, and I personally know of one that was so big I couldn't lift it off the bottom.

Overholser is another bathtub with a mean depth of about 8 feet, almost totally silted in. There are nice fish in it and those that's in the know has done figgered out where they are.

Thunderbird (I calls it Dirtybird) is the newest of the OKC lakes having been filled around 1965. It started out a great sandbass fishery, then crappie. The flathead grew large eating all that stunted crappie... then the lake matured, losing most of it's structure when the trees rotted away. Now, there are blues, flats and channels all competing with the saugeye and bass for the overused shad base. The fish of size are hard to catch, but who can fish with a moroncycle (jerkbike) washing it's wake into the stern of your anchored boat.

Draper is a quieter version of Dirtybird... not quite so much traffic, but even fewer fish too. Those who work at it discover the secrets of the lake and often produce some nice fish... but not for the casual fisherman with a 6-pak on his mind.

It's best for the OKC area fisherman to consign himself to a trip of an hour or more to access the great fishing available in any of the lakes along the Arkansas River. The best lakes are the tiny rural city water supplies around the state. Most are great fisheries and some have produced record book fish.

Y'all have fun, y'heah!

12. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    I recently spoke to a guy who does pretty good at Overholser. I agree that there are some guys who are in the know, but I'm not one of them! He talked about fishing with punch bait off of a slip bobber near the dam. If that helps!

13. zimzam

zimzam New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    I'm from the area and fish all the local lakes. Most of the lakes are stained from the red clay. Hefner is a good deep lake for walleye and stripper hybrids, and crappie. Thunderbird for crappie, sand bass, Saugeye, and cats. Draper for the cats, crappie, saugeye. Other lakes in the area are Arcadia in edmore (pricey to fish there), Hefner, draper are close to home lakes and require a fee to fish, Thunderbird is free to fish.

14. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    man o man o man. Guess I need to get over to Hefner so I can check out some Stripper hybrids!!! Now THAT is my idea of "fishing"