Why do you smoke?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by olefin, Apr 10, 2006.

Why do people smoke

1. 1. Because I like the taste and feel of smoking!

2. 2. Because I don't have the will power or self discipline to break the habit.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I started smoking "roll your own", Prince Albert at age 13 because the older guys and adults smoked. Back then it was the thing to do. I quit smoking the first time I tried at age 28.
    It's a terrible waste of money, causes fires and most important it is bad for everyones health. So why does people smoke?

2. dgde4x4man

dgde4x4man New Member

State:
    La Moille, Illinois
    I decided on December fourth of 2004 to quit. I got it licked without a drag until Oct. 13th 2005. That is when my world came to a screeching hault. I thought I needed a smoke and bought a pack and I'm still smoking and not sure if I can quit again. I hope to someday again.

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Dayton I really didnt start until I was active duty Navy and was bored so I started smoking, also went well with Beer LOL. At this point I think I have the will power to stop I want to stop but setting the day to do it is what gets me. before this year is over I vow that I will have quit tho.

4. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    I dont really remember why I smoked think it was because my parents did. I quit april 3rd 1977 never made a better decision in my life. A person will not quit smokeing till they decide they want to and really want to been there done that myself for a long time till I said enough is enough. On the ones wanting to quit good luck I wish you the best.

5. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Dunno why I started, but its hard to quit. Going to quit may 2 2008 day before i turn 30

6. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    2 reasons to start, for the most part. 1-peer pressure. 2-example set before you.

i started because of #1. quit because it was unhealthy, expensive, and overall an unclean habit. i quit 3 times for a year or more before i laid them down for good some 15 years ago.

good luck and success to all those wanting to quit.

7. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Hey Phil I can add one more reason as to why some start smoking. My X-wife has asthma real bad and after we divorced 21 years ago she started smoking about 3 years after the divorce so now she takes a drag off her cig then a puff on her inhaler she says she looks cool smoking I say she looks stupid myself so add stupidity to the list too. I myself dont care if a person smokes or not that is thier business thier money thier health. I smoked for many years till I got smart. I never smoked in resturants nor in others homes or cars when I was a smoker. At my home I dont allow smoking in it nor in our cars and if a person comes over that does smoke they can outside as long as they use a ash tray and dont flip thier butts into my yard when that happens wont be any more smoking allowed outside at my house either. I feel I shouldnt have to pick up thier mess. Just my opinions and how I feel about it. Even on my boat if a smoker goes with me fishing they have to use a soda can to put thier butts in I dont like seeing them flipped out into the lakes or rivers.

8. APD1146

APD1146 New Member

State:
    New York
    Let me tell you. I started smoking more years ago then I want to admit. Back then you could smoke even on public transportation. I did it because every one else did. I can still remember all these years later that first real inhale. That was my downfall. I felt light headed and thought I was floating.
    I have worked in a field where I have seen what drugs can do to people for 30+ years. Get one thing straight right now. Nicotine is a drugs. No other way around it. People really smoke for the same reason other drug users use drugs. It gives you that feeling of calmness that those who smoke grass get from doing so. You feel you need it in situations where stress come into your life. I don't use other drugs beside cigarettes as they are bad enough for anyone. I have quit 7 times and hope to again. I have asked the doc, why don't they put as much money into this addiction of nicotine as they do all the other drug programs in this country. Why?, because the same reason drug dealer push drugs. There is big money in it. Enough said.
    The pulpit is closed for this Sunday.

Keep your lines wet and tight.

9. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I didn't vote because as much as i think it is number one, it may very well be #2 and I am lying to myself.

I started when I was 17 working as a dishwasher in a restaurant. The servers would come back and smoke, as well as the GM. If i took a break he'd tell me to get back to work. I discovered if I held a servers cigarette for them, I wouldn't get yelled at. Went from there. When my daughter was born after smoking 15 years I quit cold turkey for 6 years. Then stupidity raised it's ugly head and I've smoked for three more. we have our third child do in November. I have every intention of kicking it forever on or before that day. I do enjoy smoking, but I think I'd rather live to see my last child graduate and realize how that may not be a certainty if I continue along this path.

10. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I think there should be a third option as both, because it does taste good after 30 yrs of smoking and is calming, and I don't have or want to have the will power don't know which. I gave up drinking and hard drugs many years ago but for some reason I just cant put the smokepoles down like I did everything else. But I will I keep telling myself.

11. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    funest bad habit I ever had. waiting for the bite and cold ones went good together. I stopped 5 time before being successful haven't smoked for 4 years. The patch really helped me quit i have 2 boy and want to be around as long as possible. my grandma died of lung cancer and was a smoker but she quit about 10 years be fore she died at 79. you have to be ready to quite. my failures were due to the fact that I wasn't really ready but knew I should quite. the patch takes away the physical part then you only have the mental part. slowly work your way down to the small patch then no patch. when cravings come very deep breaths about 5 time helps a lot. I love not smoking, no cravings no bad smell and I will live longer. I beat it. Good luck, if you fail try again and you will hit it right and beat it too.

12. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    Good luck to everyone trying to quit. It's tough. They say that nicotine is more addictive than heroin and I can believe it. I urge anybody on here that smokes to quit or to seriously think about the consequences of what their doing. Even if you don't care about your own health, think about your children and their children. I've lost both my father and grandfather to smoking related illnesses. My earliest memories of grandpa were of him bedridden and with a breathing tube down his throat. He passed away when I was very young. My father smoked his whole life and passed away from a stroke last year. He was only 45. Grandpa never got a chance to take me fishing, and dad took me a lot, but, thinking back, it wasn't nearly enough. Dad and grandpa are the two reasons why I'll never smoke, and why I hope that everyone of you on here that does smoke gives it a second thought.

13. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    well i been smoking since i was 12 ,i'm 33 now so i guess i been doing for about oh'......well you do the math....lol...
    but i stopped for about two and had a couple of packs left so i finished them off and as of 10:00 this i am done smoking for good(i hope) we'll find out this weekend after my first beer....lmao
    i don't why i started in the first place i guess because it was cool to smoke back then.....:cool:

14. Cyclops01

Cyclops01 New Member

State:
    Eden, NC.
    As Slick Willie said, when asked why he did his thing with Monica... "because I can".

15. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    mike, but he didn't inhale......:rolleyes:

16. Cyclops01

Cyclops01 New Member

State:
    Eden, NC.
    Let me ask you this. Why do you feel it is incumbent on you to dictate how others should have to live?

17. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    I am trying to figure how this relates to the question/topic of the thread which is why do you smoke? but since you posted that question why do smokers think they have the right to shove thier smoke down a nonsmokers throat? as i have said in the other thread i dont care two hoots about them bans dont affect me either way. but since this smoking debate has started i was sent a pm telling me that if this person came to my house they would smoke inside my house weather i liked it or not and for me to stop them is infrigning on thier rights. well no one that vists my home property or vehicles have any rights except not to come over if they do not like my none smoking rules. when i smoked i had lots of friends that didnt smoke and i never infrigned on thier rights to not have smokeing around them its called respect tween both partys smokers and non smokers.

18. cannady4

cannady4 New Member

State:
    il
    I am 26 years old and I started when I was 7 yrs old. While at the bus stop before school, Two of my older brothers smoked and told me and another brother to smoke one so we could not tell on them. LOL. After awhile I just got used to it. It is not there fault. I should of said no, but there were my "BIG BROTHERS" and I really did't want the beating that I would get if I told them no. Me and the woman in my life are going to quit when this carton if cigs is gone. It is harder to quit when people around you smoke.

19. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    couldn't vote either way,since i gave the stupid thing up back in Dec.
    hopefully i can have the willpower to stay off them. just for the RECORD if i can quit anyone can quit. I probably have less willpower than anyone else. IF A PERSON WANTS TO QUIT THEY'LL QUIT. But you have to want to do it yourself(not because someone else wants you to.) THAT JUST DON'T WORK. OK DIDN'T MEAN TO PREACH SORRY ABOUT THAT.

20. Cyclops01

Cyclops01 New Member

State:
    Eden, NC.
    Merle,

My question was a direct response to the opening post of this thread. At least in my mind's eye, Dayton made it very clear... he quit and thinks everyone must. I am asking why.

As for the person who sent you the P/M you mentioned, joke or not, (and I assume from your description it wasn't a joke) if that person were a guest in my home and popped off to me in that manner, he or she would be smoking their next cigarette through a small opening in a full body cast. And further, I don't approve of that P/M tactic.

Mike