Why Do You Go Fishing?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Feb 26, 2008.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Why do you go fishing? Is it the pure passion for the sport? Is it the enjoyment of the outdoors? Do you go to get away from your spouse? lol.. I go for all them questions asked and more. I go fishing to relieve myself of the day to day stresses that are caused. I go fishing to challenge myself. I go fishing to meet new people at the ramp. I go fishing take someone else, like someone did for me. I go fishing to remember good times, either with family or friends on the water. I go fishing to get rid of my farmers tan! I go fishing to see the others catch fish and smile. I go fishing to enjoy the sound of summer bugs! I go fishing mostly because I love to just be fishing! It really doesn't matter what I'm fishing for....as long as I'm fishing!!!....rollo

2. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yup, that bout sums it up! I also enjoy the unexpected that goes with fishin. Never know what might happen.:wink:

3. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I must agree with you rollo and back-up what wabash said, you summed it up pretty much. I enjoy fishing because I love to fish!:big_smile:

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I fish cause huntin season ain't always in. Seriously I fish cause i love the outdoors and people who share the same interest. It doesn't have to be a big money bass tourney, i can have a blast watchin a kid on a pond bank.

5. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    i love to go fishing first just to be outdoors, any time it is warm out i hate to be in the house, day or night lol, getting away from the spouse is part of it too i suppose, but just to be out enjoying nature it doesnt matter if i catch fish or not just being out is enough for me :big_smile:

6. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I guess the answer for me goes back to my childhood. As long as I can remember I would never want to leave the water. Anytime we had to leave Regardless of who I was with, I would get mad when it was time to pack up and go home. I just loved being on or near the water. Catching fish was not always a high priority for some I would go fishing with. For me it was the purpose for the late nights and early mornings. That tug on the pole, that feeling of not knowing what was on the end of the line. As a kid I had not clue what i was fishing for i just knew i was going to catch something, it truly did not matter what. Bluegill, bass, trout, crappie, catfish, carp, striper, hybrids, red eyes, creek chubs, etc. If it would pull on my line i was happy. I would hit the creeks after school with a slice of cheese, and what ever I could come up with for tackle.

I still have the same feeling when I am fishing. i love the whole aspect of fishing. I can't give on thing over another that makes it special for me. I enjoy it all from catching bait, to the big ones, and everything in between. I have friends that will through a fit if they catch a small cat. Not me, i enjoy all of them, no matter the size. A trip without fish is still a success for me.
    As far as getting away from the spouse. Not the case for me. Heck, she is the best fishing buddy i have. Only thing is trying to get her to split the gas cost. :smile2: She says i paid for everything while we were dating why should it be any different now. :smile2: Just joking around on that. We don't have a system of that is mine and that is hers, it is all ours.

I would rather fish than eat and that is a big statement coming from me. :big_smile:
    Some of the best things in life are the hardest to explain.

Thanks
    David

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I go for one reason, and that is to feel a big flathead on my line, plus watching my rod load up 'CIRCLE HOOKS" Really gets my heart going.

I dont really go for the relaxation, if I want to relax I will lay on the couch.

I am not one of these people who have a good time even if the fish aint biting.

If I am not catching fish the trip sucks and has been a waste of time...I waste alot of time:smile2:

8. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    i think the same word for word thanks you saved me alotu typin:smile2:

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

That pretty much sums it up for me Rollo. Especially to try to forget about all the stresses and stuff thats going on. I Love Fishing!!!:wink::big_smile:

10. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Rollo i go fishing also for all the same reasons but mostly to get out and enjoy the outdoors and forget about the stressful things that might be going on in my life at the time and if the fish are biting the better.

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I fish to get outdoors ,have comradery with whoever I fish with get a little store for the freezer and cause ,even if I dont get anything,I'm too stubborn to ever quit!!:wink:

12. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    I have two main reasons.One,just for the fun and relaxation.But,I think my main reason is,it's a good time to connect with my dad.He's 81 and retired.I'm 48 and constantly busy.But,at least once a week,his truck hauls my boat to the river just to have fun and talk.Even catching fish comes second to that.He took me when was a kid,now I take him in our boat.Those are my main reasons.

13. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks for the difficult question buddy-Now I aint gonna be any good the rest of the day(LOL)-Cabin fever,fresh snow........oh and you ask this(LOL)
    Get away from her nope she has gotstee be with me-I go cause I get that adreniline rush when I see them whiskers break water and the bigger the better....I fish for food and pleasure...I am river junkey I cant get enough when the weather is warm.I find alot of solitude on them quiet nights out on the river ,piece of mind....the experience is everything.......Yes and I am ready to go as soon as it stops snowing-sleeting /freezing .....

14. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    you said it best Rollo

15. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I go fishing because I love to fish. I like to be outdoors instead of staying in the house. I like to get away from all the worries of this world...fishing is very relaxing to me. Whether or not I'm catching anything it is still relaxing and never a waste of time. I do prefer to catch fish...especially big ones.:smile2:

16. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    I go out of necessity. If I dont get to go fishing often I begin to have withdrawals which include mood swings and loss of concentration! I became addicted when I was a young child. As far as I know, there is no known cure.

17. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Ahh but Chris there is a cure and you alreay know it-go:wink:

18. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana

that about sums it up + fillets!

19. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Until recently I shares some of those feelings, but towards the end of last eyar something hit me and made me realize that if I didn't change my feelings, I would prob soon stop catfishing. I've came to look at things much differently over the last several months. My goal now is only to enjoy the times that I am able to get out. I'm going to try to do more panfishing (crappie, gills, etc) this year plus I'm going to try and get back up to the UP of Michigan to hit some pike and muskie. I'm hoping to go into 2008 with a different frame of mind. After thinking about how stressfull work is, how hectic weekends are I want to change my whole outlook on fishing. Wheter I catch a 5 inch crappie or a 30# Flathead, I want to have fun doing it and enjoy as much time as I can.

Don't get me wrong, I still want to break the 40# mark this year and fish my share of tourneys, but I'm not going to be as stressed out and worry about chasing trophies as much as I was last year.

*I dont even want to think about how miserable life would be if I didnt enjoy my time out, espically w/ the rumor of $4/gallon gas in the spring/summer.

20. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    mellon, don't get me wrong. I'm a trophy chaser, and a weekend tourney fisher! But, i realized along time ago that if you aren't enjoying the sport for what it is, then you are out there for the wrong reasons. A person can burn himself out on it if he is soley going to catch monster fish! Trust me I have been there! I used to fish 5 nights or more a week and get bent out of shape, when the big boys weren't showing up! I know now that you appreciate the big ones, because you never know when you will catch another. And I try not to put that pressure on me anymore to do so. I think since I have taken a different aspect to it, not only have I enjoyed it more, but I have been able to fish more methodical, not overfishing or overthinking! That can get you into trouble...good post bro... rollo