Why do you fish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by godsglad8tor, Jul 9, 2007.

1. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    alright, we all know we love catfishing, or even fishing in general... my gf the other day caught me off guard and flat out asked me why i like fishing so much, i was lost for words.... btw she does fish but dosnt like it like i do.... i feel there is something that calls me withing myself to go, i do love catfishing as well as any other type of fishing too... i think it just love it because i used to go with my grandpa and well i guess you can kinda say carrying out tradition, i also love fish frys

so my question is to you, why do you fish, love it, food or even forced maybe?

and if you have an other half, what does he or she think about it?

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Fishing is a hobby for me I really enjoy doing it.

3. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Great question. I guess I fish for several reasons, stress relief of just being out on the water. I've always been fasinated with big rivers or any body of water for that matter. My wife does not fish at all, but she totally understands my addiction to it and I'm "allowed" to go any time I want. When she can tell I'm really stressed out she even encourages it. On occasion she will go if I take the big boat, she does like being out on it.:big_smile:
    Chip

4. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Fishing for me is very relaxing.I fish to unwind after a hard days,or weeks work.AAAAAHHHHHH!!!:dribble:

5. Ed1

Ed1 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    sometimes I fish to relax and unwind other time I am chaseing dreams.

6. boozer

boozer New Member

State:
    kansas
    Fishing for me is a get away, my wife works 1st shift and i work 2nd my trucks not big enough for two carseats so im either stuck at home or work that gets old,I've been going fishing for many years and that never gets old. My wife dont understand how someone can just sit there all night and not catch any fish but everyone knows that one bite starts the night all over again gets the heart pumping hoping it'll be the one to lay your pole on the ground and the fight is on. Great, now i want to go fishing (LOL) but got to get up with the kids at 6:30 have to wait till the weekend. :ah: GOOD (CATCHING) TOO ALL!!!!:0a23:

7. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    My grandfather taught me to fish to feed people. We would catch alot of carp, and my grandma would cook them up and feed 12-18 people at one sitting. I was Blessed to have a Christian family and upbringing.

I fish now to get away from the city, to get back to nature and occasionally feed myself or someone else less fortuante than I am. I totally beleive and practice CPR, but sometimes I help someone and catcha few or gut hook a nice feeder now and then and take it home LEGALLY and clean it and give it to someone that will not let it go to waste.

Fishing to me, is kind of sacred. I could take almost anybody once, and how they behave and respect the land, waters and fish, I may take them again.

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I got hooked on all the outdoors back when I was a fingerlin, and My hero ,my granddad passed when I was around 9 or so . I have had it in my blood ever since I guess being outdoors lets me get close to him in a way.

9. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    For me i like the challenge. The fresh air, nature, and quiet enviroment is very relaxing. Hey mickey you know what? my girlfriend asked me that same question. only answer i had was "just do"

10. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    AMEN BRO!!!! and i like to eat them!!

11. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i dont have any habits but fishing,hunting and watching my pigeons fly.why do i fish.cause i can.

12. whiskerlover

whiskerlover New Member

State:
    St. joseph Missouri
    This is a tough question to answer because I have never really thought about it. I love the relaxation of it, getting away from a crappy boss. and there is always the challenge and the thrill when you catch fish and realize that all of your preperations and work are paying off.

13. Klag

Klag New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Well said, and I know whatcha mean. I don't eat fish, and never keep fish. But I am totally addicted to fishing! Something calls me from within - just like the original poster said.

I ask myself this question all the time since I don't like to harm the fish, and I can't think of any real answer - I have no kids, nobody to fish with, and I don't really even take pictures that often. Just catch, appreciate them, and release. I really have no other answer other then somehing that calls me within myself to fish - and I love it!!

14. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    1) I love to eat fish. I could eat it every day if I could?

2) I like relaxing out near the water. It doesn't matter if the fish are biting or not, just being out there.

3) I love watching my kid's catch a fish.

4) The thrill of not knowing what the next bite will bring? :006:

Ken

15. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

1.I'm addicted (I think about fishing everyday and how I can improve my skills ....)
    2.Never No Watcha gunna get
    3.Relaxing
    4.Sometimes to spend time with friends and family
    5.Sometimes to catch food.
    6.Sometimes to cure my cabin fever
    7.Sometimes to teach someone something new
    8.And the big one, to keep me out of trouble :big_smile:

16. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    i've been asked this question numerous times with fishing and with hunting. for me more than anything, its the "me" time i get to spend. just sitting and relaxing. things that have been bugging me all day or all week i usually get straight in my head while waiting for a pole to twitch or just sitting there watching the sun come up.
    i'm sure you'll get a wide variety of answers to this one, but the simplest one is, "If you haven't done it, you have no idea."
    my wife never understood till i took her, now she's "hooked" (pun intended)

17. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I guess for me there's a few reasons too. Sometimes I keep what I catch for food, sometimes I dont, but my kids and I like to eat em'. My job stresses me out a lot so it's really a nice "wind down" time after working six or seven days a week. What's better than the outdoors? That's why I live in the country. Also, I'm constantly trying to break my own goals, as far as the weight goes. My wife didn't used to go with me but every time I have been this year she has gone too. That's nice. And I do it for my kids also. I want them to look back some day and think about the good times we had on the water, as a family, and smile. Mostly though because I love it, it's all I think about most of the time. That, and checkin' out the BOC online!!:smile2:

18. catman73

catman73 New Member

State:
    Lawrence Kansas
    And I do it for my kids also. I want them to look back some day and think about the good times we had on the water, as a family, and smile.

I would have to agree with this the most. I have many fond memories of my grandad and I out on the water (or in the water) sometimes. It has shown me to appreciate the time with family and appreciate the things that we have. Its not if I catch anything, just being able to be there and relax is so nice. Now that I have a son of my own I am working on getting him many of those memories that I have too. Time with kids is something that you can never get back, so make it the best you can.

19. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Fished and hunted all my life, but until now always had job and family and bills on my brain and really couldn't enjoy it.
    Now a little crippled up and retired I can enjoy it as I have never been able to do. I am a loner. At this stage of my life, after dealing with 10's of thousands of people, I just don't like to be around them anymore. Fishing is perfect. I live in an area that has excellent and abundant resources. I always fish alone or with my wife and during the day. I don't fish at night because I would have to have someone with me. When I get a wild hair I can be in my truck and fishing in 5 minutes. If someone is on the trout stream or river, I simply go another couple of miles and find another spot. Something I have always loved I can now really enjoy.

20. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    double amen brotha