Why Do You Catfish ?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Pip, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    What gets you chasing the cats? Is it the pursuit of that once-in-a-lifetime catch? Is it just getting out of the house? Maybe it's the time spent with the kids and family and friends. It might even be to get away from the family and get some peace and quiet for a little bit. Maybe you tourney fish and it brings out the competitive side in you. Most people have there reasons for continually hitting the waters and targeting the cats. Maybe it's the comraderie with others that share a common interest. It could even be to put fod on the table.

When I was young, it was the getting out on the water in the summer. getting some bait and fishing from dawn to dusk. It was that chance of hooking up with something that could rip the rod right out of the boat. I'd get my tube and walk up to the dam and drift with the currect and just have a blast. Every once in a while hooking up with bubba and having him pull me around on that tube. Going through a couple dozen minnows or crawfish. Coming home already thinking about heading back out the next day to do it all again.

Since I've gotten older, I still have the passion as I did when I was just a kid. only now I look forward to taking people out for a day on the water who might not have a chance to normally experience the cats. I enjoy getting with the wounded warriors and getting them some time away from the hospital for a day, their problems there facing, Getting them something to look forward when it's time for them to take that next step. It's a humbling experience yet rewarding. Some of these guys have lived a lifetime in a matter of a couple years. Having to deal with more then the average person. One guy I took out said it was the best day he had in quite a long time and to see him smile, well it was priceless.

I enjoy getting the kids out and getting them hooked up with a big ole blue. Seeing that smile and hearing the hoops and hollers when that cat comes up to the side of the boat. When you can introduce a youngster to something so simple, yet rewarding. Thats a good thing for the future of fishing. Helping to keep that young one off the streets and out of trouble. Giving them a path to look forward to going down. Thats what fishing for the cats is about, at least to me.Fishing is like paying it forward, passing on what I was taught as a youngster.

2. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I like to fish period. Around here if you ever hope to catch a big fish you have to fish for catfish. I love the peace and quiet you can only find at a lake at 2 in the morning. Welcome to the boc.

3. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Knowing that the next time I set a hook on a fish, it might try to pull me in with him:cool2:.

Other reasons include:
    1. They are the biggest fish in the river.
    2. They are bank accessible. Not everyone has a boat.
    3. You don't need fancy lures, trout vest, or waders.
    4. Last reason is the best, it's very relaxing to sit quietly on a riverbank
    waiting for The One.

4. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    There are several reasons I fish for cats. The first is because I enjoy getting away from the hustle and bustle of life. Aint no fancy equipment required to catchem. Next is you never know if you got a 2lb cat or a 25 lb cat on the line when you set the hook. Aint nothing like being on the bank all set up at 2am were its just dead calm and quiet. And last but not least is the fact that they tend to eat so good. These are just but a few of my reasons why I fish for kitties, Heck I could go on and on.

5. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    #1 reason is stress release #2 friendship with fishing buddies # 3 you just never know what you'll catch oh hell i could go on and on :smile2:

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    There are to many reasons to list why I love fishing. It is an itch I can't scratch.

7. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I been catfishing all my life. I like the hunt of that elusive big cat. I like getting away and just enjoy the outdoors. I like fishing with my brothers. Heck, Catfishing is a way of life.....To me:wink:

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "....What gets you chasing the cats?..."

I like the sunrise.

I like the sunset.

I like the pull of a big fish.

I like the action of catching a lot of fish.

I like the challenge of finding fish when the bite is slow.

I like the reward of finding biting fish.

I like the seasonal changes and how it moves fish.

I like not having to cast 1200 times in a day to catch a two pounder.

I like talking with friends about where they are, and where they might be.

Most of all I like knowing that I am fishing for the biggest fish in the lakes that I fish in, and if I catch it I will never forget the moment.

:wink:

9. Buckedup

Buckedup New Member

State:
    NC
    Because the little voices in my head tell me to.

10. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    I catfish for the peace and tranquility it provides for me. I also love the challenge of chasin' that next big fish. It gives me that added time to spend with the ol'lady, my brother, or friends.

11. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I was raised fishing ive been doin it as long as i can remember,always went with my dad and grandfather.I was so young my dad or grandfather would have to hold on the back of my belt if i caught a good cat or carp so i wouldnt get pulled in lol man those were good times.
    I just love trying to catch a big one and being outdoors where i can get away from everything and just relax and enjoy the thrill of the catch,i love to fight them cats.I guess its my therapy.

12. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    ILike the Hope I get when I cast my riggin' into the water.. Could be the Big One!!

I like the feeling I have when I get the hook set and there's some big power on the other end!!! Like I don't want to screw it up, want to see the thing...

Like seeing other folks tugging on a pole that's trying to get tugged into the water...Seeing the excitement and anticipation on their face..

Like fishing for the nastiest predator swimming in fresh water...

Like the way they taste!!

13. ozzyso44

ozzyso44 New Member

State:
    Smithville, Missouri
    Not knowing what is lurking underneath the surface.

Being out when everyone else is in bed.

Pulling the boat onto shore and making a campfire.

My dogs.

Being alone, and being with friends.

Strange sounds in the night.

Pulling the boat out of the water when people are putting in.

My grandpa - bless his soul - was a good man and he liked catfishing.

14. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Recon I just love to fish and everything that goes with it.
    Can't say I truely target a specific fish at any given time. Generally I just fish for "a while" and use all types of different tactics just for the fun of it. If some monster decides to drag my boat up river, I'm surely gonna enjoy the ride, but I really don't care that much what bites the hook because I release 'em anyway.

15. musky_D

musky_D New Member

State:
    Plano, TX
    They can eat anything else in the lake.

16. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Catfshin is a way of life for me. If had a choice, a week in Las Vegas or
    a week on the river, I would chose the week on the river sleeping all
    day and catfishin all night. I can relax on the river. My mind wonders
    and I remember the good things in life. Sometimes when I bait up and
    it looks extra enticing I chuckle when I think of my grandpa when he
    made good lookin bait he would hold his rod up for you to see and say
    " If that don't catch the biggest catfish in the river there ain't a cow in
    Texas."

17. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    I catfish for many of the same reasons as most have already said. The main reason is that I enjoy it. When I go fishing, it takes me far away from the issues and stress in everyday life. When I go fishing, i'm just another guy that's out there trying to land a big one. I'm not the person that just fired one of his employees for insubordination, I'm they guy that's sitting on the bank in an easy chair with a beer in hand. When I go fishing i'm not the person that has to listen to a complaint of why one of his employees told someone to go F@#$ themselves, i'm the guy that has 4 or five lines in the water hoping to hear the scream of that reel. I'm not they guy who has han employee who didn't show up for work for two days without a phone call, I'm the guy that is anchored next to a large tree who's asleep.

I go fishing because I want to. I go fishing to be the guy that's fishing.

18. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

It keeps me outta trouble.

19. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I hadn't fished for quite a few years, but I was laid off, it was opening day and I was bored. I had left my fishing stuff far away, so I got a cheap pole and stuff, I went fishing for a day. I got a few crappies and a northern. Next time I went I got a catfish. Thats more of a thrill than crappies and bass.

I was working off and on, so I fished everyday I didn't work, getting up early like I was working, so I wouldn't get lazy. I been enjoyin it, and it gives me something to do. I like to eat em, and fishing is one thing I can do that don't take much effort. Catfishing is really good, I just put the bait out there and wait. Not much effort at all.

20. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I catfish because some blues weigh over 100# and I absolutely love sitting on the river bank watching the Mississippi, you never know what might happen.