Why do we give gifts at Christmas

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by whisker maniac, Dec 23, 2008.

1. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    just wondering what some of ya'll answers will be.

2. rythymroach

rythymroach New Member

State:
    United States
    originally back in the 18th century there was a man named nicholas who ran an orphanage in russia, he gave the children penny candies all the time when he interacted with them. As a result he was sainted and became st nick from whence America got santa klaus via kris kringle from europe.
    give the gifts because in the great scheme of things you will only keep that which you freely are willing to give.
    Nothing is more powerful than an unsolicited gift to an unexpectant person.

the magic comes not from the gift but the art of giving.

3. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    For the Christian, gift giving is supposed to be symbolic of the Magi bringing their gifts to the Christ child. There IS a reason for the season! That's my story and I'm stickin to it!

4. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    That is the best reason I was ever taught

5. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    This is what I teach my children......

Christ gave , gave his life , and to me , it was the biggest gift of all . Besides the traditional reasons , I've always in the back of my mind looked at it this way . And now when I give at Christmas I do it in the giving way , like Jesus did . It's what he wants us to do .

Traditions and stories etc are always confusing and at times not very believable . A lot of my religious thinking just comes from the heart so to say, not by teachings . So in a way I don't look at it is giving b-day gifts to people I look at it as giving in Christ's image.

Kinda confusing to yas I guess, especially if that sounds like a cross between X-Mas and Easter . Honestly , I think presents should be given at Easter....not candy, LOL.

Oh, and by the way Merry Christmas ; )

-Jim-

6. rythymroach

rythymroach New Member

State:
    United States
    Not to alienate myself from any I realize Jesus was born in the summer months and not in december, our traditional christmas is wrapped with lots of mystique.

somethings I am sure of is Christmas may stand for christ day, but it has no real links to Jesus himself.
    Our holiday is basically bogus in that regard although many will say differently.

Now however you choose to recognize it is totally up to the individual, most stories tellof three wise men, but the bible itself never mentions how many wise men visited Jesus at his birth, aall we know is they brought three gifts, which were gold frankincense and myrrh. some believe three gifts equal three men but there's no way to be sure since the bible does not tell us.

I chose when my children were little to tell them there was no such person as Santa Claus, I explained how the myth was born, explained that Mom and Dad were basically Santa, because I refuse to lie to mykids and make them believe in things that are not true. Yeah I have caught a lot of flack for it, but the bottom line is my kids trust me and that's all that matter's.
    I did explain the birth of Jesus and the traditional christmas story to them and shared with them that just like Jesus the love required to give an unsolicited gift is truly the meaning of christmas.
    we never asked Jesus to die for us but he did. I'm glad I was not around in that day because as it was the religious people are the ones who crucified him, not the romans.
    truth be told if we all lived in that era under the current religiosity of the day how many of us would have yelled crucify him,instead of something else.
    It's true His sacrifce was to our greater good, it's true his kingdom will reign forever because it was founded on love, and it's true that Jesus is the bomb.
    as far as santa and dec25th that's all just make believe.
    imho

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I guess to Easter bunny and the tooth fairy are out of luck too eh ? LOL

8. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    a long time ago before there was a santa and there was more pagans than christians the pagans had a big party on dec.25th so the christians decided to celibrate christ birthday at the same time.thats why we celibrate christ b day in december.the giving and receiving of gifts was to mimic the wize men.

9. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well all in all its celebrating the life of Jesus.