Why do they do that?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Nobody Special, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    Why do they put headlights on riding lawn mowers? Have you ever seen anyone mowing their lawn in the middle of the night? My old Cub Cadet has headlights and tail lights. I don't recall the last time I had the need to go for a ride on it at night.

2. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    lol..well grass seems to cut better of the night ya know it's more crisp..lol you got me

3. Cyclops01

Cyclops01 New Member

State:
    Eden, NC.
    Grumpy,

Since your old Cub had head AND tail lights, all ya had to do was get plates on it to be street legal!!!

4. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    Mark, that reminds me of a good old joke.

The drill sargeant was greeting the new recruits as they got off the bus and quizzing each of them on why they joined the army.
    He came to one big boy, and asked him: Johson, where are you from, boy?
    Wisconsin, sir, replied the recruit. And why, asked the sarge, did you join the army? Well sir, answered Johnson, my pop had a big farm and we farmed that thing from sunup to sundown. i had to get up before school and milk and feed the cows, gather the eggs and feed the chickens. when I got home i had to plow, till, or plant 'til it got to dark to see. I came home from school one day and pop was putting lights on the tractor: that's when I decided to join the army.:D

5. T-man

T-man New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I guess that some people use them at night for something other than mowing, like pulling a trailer or snow blowing, i really dont know............

Good Question!!!

6. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Grumpy, I've had to use the headlights on my mower a couple times. If I happen to get a late evening start mowing in the summer, its got dark on me a couple times. I probably looked silly, but I didn't want to have to finish up the next day.

7. rasimmons

rasimmons Guest

i use mine all the time my grandma lives two houses down and in the summer i just drive my tractor down to her house it is alot cheaper than taking my ford or my dodge

8. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    I"m only guessing, but believe that a riding mower could be considered a motor vehicle (depending on the interpretation of regs/statutes), so the manufacturers equip them with lights (front & rear) to keep their butts out of courts. They don't include turn signals as hand signals can be used. Think about it: some people sometimes drive their mowers short distances on public roads (just like larger motorized equipment), and some law-enforcement types may not ticket them for that, but will issue a ticket for having a vehicle with no lights (regarless of the time of day driven) on the road. Sound plausible?

9. FRANK

FRANK New Member

State:
    Welland,Ontario,Canada
    Mowers with the headlights and taillights are used all the time here, the citizens in the next town drive them to the local bar twice a week.

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    It is for people like my wife.She can go out and finish up her mowing after stopping to fix supper.This a Mrs.Wanda aproved answer.peewee-williams

11. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    ROFL, peewee....i hope for your sake she doesn't read that:blink:

12. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    She read it and aproved.She takes real good care of this old cripple.She does everything.She claims that it is easier than taking me to Wound Care for weeks at a time.It is 74 miles round trip.I have allready gone for 5 weeks this year.peewee-williams

13. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Grumpy, I got the idea to cut the grass at night, one time! The bugs about ate me alive, never tried that again.

14. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    my Spidey sense tells me this must have been done as a result of a lawsuit.

Some drunken sot musta pureed his chihuahua and got a million bucks for pain and suffering.

Im looking over
    my dead dog Rover
    That I hit with the power mower

One leg is missing
    The other is gone
    The thir leg is scattered all over the lawn

No need explaining
    the one leg remaining
    Its part of the grass you seeeeeee

Im looking over
    my dead dog rover
    Who I sent to Eternityyyyyyyyyyy

(sounds of barking/yelping)

Im looking over
    my dead dog rover
    who I hit with the power mower

My dog's not eating
    He no longer barks
    He hit the propeller
    and turned into sparks...

LMAO anyone remember that song?

15. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    you have a keeper there, peewee...'course you already knew that:)

16. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Grumpy,

There have been many times that I have finished mowing in the dark. If I woulda had lights on the riding mower, I would not have had to hold that spot light wired to the battery

17. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    You guys haven't ever seen the old george jones video with him on the lawn tractor with the cops after him??????????????

18. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I think it's a nice feature for a landscape contractor! They often start work at 5 am and often work untill 6 or 7pm. Depending on the tme of year, those lights could be handy!