Why do they die?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by bhunt, Jul 24, 2006.

1. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    Receantly when I put catfish in my livewell they die pretty quick. By choice I CPR most of my fish. This may be stupid to ask but do you have to clean your livewell with soap our bleach ever once in a while to keep them clean? I always leave it running so there is plenty of fresh water in there at all times. This use to be no problem at all they would survive all day summer or fall. Thanks for any help.

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    How deep are you fishing??? Strangly enough this is a valid question.
    If you are fishing in water over 35ft deep, they may need to be burped. Is the fishes stomach hard feeling? If it is that is what you will have to do. You can accomplish this by sliding a piece of 1/2"CPVC down their throat till you here the gases pass out the tube. Make sure the edges are not sharp of jagged in any way.
    It also could be that the water temperature on the surface of the body of water that you are fishing is to warm and is lacking in oxygen. This is when you need a good airiation system.

If you CPR most of your fish, why even put them in the live well at all, LOL!!!

3. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    Hay dreadnot here in texas the water is very warm and that could be it. I keep the fish in the livewell so I can take a picture of all the cats at the same time. Some of my friends dont belive me when I tell them I release 2to3 8lb fish in one fishing trip so I have to keep them to prove them wrong. I cant stand someone thinking im not telling the truth.

4. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I can tell you right now soap and bleach will kill them. Once your done using the bleach and soap inside make a mixture of water and baking soda. So that it's slushy. Add little bit of water at a time.

If your are using tap water the crap they but in that don't help.

You might wana to check out your aerator. If you are putting a couple of 8lb blues in a 20 gallon take your gonna need lots of oxygen.

Josh

5. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    yeah i think oxygen is the key ,if you want you can shove a stringer threw their jaw behind the lower lip 15' works well they can go down low enuf to reach cooler water and still get good oxygen you can still release them later without any trouble the wound will heal leave a scar but heal ,iv done this in tourny's too keep fish alive 6 hours and they still swim off after the fact

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Bhunt, the biggest thing you need to do is forget about proving your friends wrong. If they would get off their butts and fish with you then maybe they would catch some fish!

Take a picture. It is a lot less expensive, a lot less trouble, and better for the fish.

7. CFH

CFH New Member

State:
    Alabama
    In hot weather I freeze a couple of gallon plastic jugs of water and put in the live well. They last a good while.

8. ST Lunker

ST Lunker New Member

State:
    VA
    If the only reason you want the picture of them in a group is to prove it to your friends, there are other ways. A lot of cameras now will display the time and date in the bottom corner of the picture, or if all else fails go the old school route and put a clipping of the current paper behind each pic. In any case, if they do die, make sure you give them to someone who will eat 'em!

9. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I think everybody has good points especially about burping them. A fish pulled from deep water will die very quickly, even sometimes when you release them. When I catch crappie in tournements from water deeper than 10-15 feet we have to do real CPR. We take the crappie and blow hard into their mouths to blow up their swim bladder. This is especially vital in warm water. Fish that are pulled up from deeper water need to be burped or resucitated by another method. Also, simple fresh water is not enough in the dead of summer. When surface water temp is at or above 80 all oxygen that gets put in is quickly released. The water does not hold or absorb any excess O2 (thanks 5 semesters of college chem, something useful:smile2: ). A system that actually pumps oxygen, not oxygenated water, is needed.

10. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Cool that water down..the surface temp is 90 degrees right now.....I fill 2 1 gallon jugs from the lake or river i am fishing in and put them in my ice chest then plug the livewell and add lake water then add a little cold water and ciculate all day..:cool2:

11. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Just take a picture with a time/date stamp. Easiest thing to do.

12. dusky

dusky Member

State:
    indiana
    I caught a 13.5" perch this summer from just below the thermocline and was baffled when it refused to swim upright in the 12 hours I kept it in the livewell. At first I thought it just needs time to adjust to the change in temp. Then my brother told me that because I pulled it up so quickly, it's bladder actually burst. It lived and was lively, but it couldn't swim belly down! Apparently fish below the thermocline should be brought up slowly. I don't know if this is the same scenario as you mentioned or not, since the perch lived. (About that perch... it had huge rake marks from some pike or musky... and a largemouth I kept from the same spot had the same marks... yeah, I'll be trolling that edge this fall!) But, yeah, if I had to make a guess, I'd say they're dying from lack of oxygen. Hot water retains less oxygen than cold water.

13. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    i believe they go into shock then have a major cardiac arrest from being caught

14. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    Your livewell takes in water off of the top of the lake. If the fish was jerked out of deep water the temp difference is a big stress. Warm water does not carry oxygen as well but on the flip side water from the lake surface has a lot of diffused oxygen in it. Pressure and temp difference may be the key.