Why do shad hate me?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Grimpuppy, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Just feel like rambling. After about 2 weeks of good luck netting shad they have disappeared on me again. Headed to the lake after work Friday night. Spent four glorious hours throwing the net all over the lake without catching one shad. Loaded up and camped for the night. Spent 3 more hours this morning throwing the net with no luck. Finally gave in and headed to the bait shop. Bought a dozen XL minnows. They were about 3 inches long. I thought this might work. Loaded poles with them whole and cut. Drifted and anchor fished another 3 hours without a bite. Drifted the causeway with nightcrawlers and bobber with no luck. It was now 1:00 pm and I had a wedding I had to attend at 5:30. I reel everything in and decide to throw the net once before heading back to the dock. I get an 11" goldeye in the one throw. I recalculate time. I can wait one more hour and still make it to the wedding on time. Head strait back to a spot that I was anchored in ealier. Bam Bam Bam three blues in 20 minutes. Pushed the time table far enough and head back to the dock. Get the boat out of the water secure everything and break out the vacuum sealer (I love having an inverter in the ambulance). This is how desperate I am for shad.... I vacumm seal the half of the goldeye I didn't use, the head, AND the four pieces I took off my hooks when I reeled in. Strait to the cooler with it. At least I know I can fish tomorrow instead of spending all day throwing the dang net. It is getting pretty bad when catching cats is easier than catching the stupid bait.....

2. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Jay, Ive got a spot in the Metro area where you can get all you want right now. I know its a heck of a drive for you, but well worth it. We got 162 shad in 30 mins a couple nights ago. I ran plum out of vacuum bags and ziplock freezer bags. :smile2:

3. duane kingsbury

duane kingsbury New Member

State:
    kansas
    jay, I hope your luck changes on them shad:embarassed: looking forward to seeing you again in the near future. When are you heading overseas? If I remember it was soon. Thinking about next weekend for a couple of days or maybe just friday nite and saturday because I may have to do the fathers day at home with the family on sunday. Are you going to be there that weekend? see ya soon duane

4. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I can hook up with you Friday night and Saturday Duane. We have our going away party at the local bar Saturday night that I got to head back for. I am going back to the lake Sunday with my buddy and his girls again. Next weekend is my last weekend to fish. We start training the weekend after next for 3 weeks strait then we are gone. We will have a pass for 4th of July weekend, but should probably spend it with family.

5. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    I'm always open to tips/suggestions Keith :smile2:

6. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Cos you put them in cold dark freezers and chop them up and stick hooks in their eyes and up their butts.
    Hell, I would hate someone if they did that to me:wink::wink:
    ...W

7. Dead Red Rick

Dead Red Rick New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Jay mommy said there would days like that hang in there.

8. duane kingsbury

State:
    kansas
    hey jay,
    I will be at the lake about three friday. Where do you want me to meet you? Sounds like alot of fun.:big_smile:

9. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    It will probably be around 7:00 Friday night before I get there. Just let me know where you are staying and we can hook up. I got your number now, so we shouldn't have any trouble finding each other. Looks like Bryan will also be at the lake and Tom might make it out also. Would be our own little mini - mini gathering :cool2:.

10. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Jay and Duane, let me know when and where too. I'd like to visit with you again to Jay before you leave. Sorry I didn't get to visit with you last weekend. :sad2:

11. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Definitely will do Jim.

12. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    I am making a day trip tomorrow, but will head back Sat early if you all are there.

13. duane kingsbury

State:
    kansas
    Hi Jay,
    I will probably just sleep in my car for a few winks, so I will fish along or close to the boat ramp. Do you know which one you will be docking at? Most likely the Wakefield ramp is where I will have the best luck, unless I hook up with Jim and we go wet a line. Give me a ring on your way down and I will meet you. It would be good to see Bryan,Tom, and Jim our own mini-mini.:big_smile::big_smile:
    Duane

14. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    If everthing goes as plan Rick,Keith & me will be there on Sat early morning.

Most likely will be putting in at the state Ramp and then meeting up with you guys on the lake..

Remember Keith has fresh Shad!!!!!!:wink::roll_eyes::tounge_out:

Will keep everyone posted if we are coming or not.Should know by Thursday.

15. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I will be camping at timber creek and putting in at military cove. That ramp and area is 100 times nicer than Wakefield. It is also much easier to load a boat by yourself if there is any wind. They still have not come around one time to collect campsite money yet. They complain that they are always short on funds, but never collect any money :confused2:. I will give you a call Duane when I get close.

I won't be leaving Saturday night to come home like I had planned. So I will be there Friday night, Saturday and Sunday. Larry hasn't decided if he will come down Saturday afternoon for a while or not.

When we drifted over the spot Sunday that I caught all the blues on 3 weeks ago, we got three blues at once. When we drifted that line again, we got a double in that same spot. I am dying to get over it at night again. :wink:

Tom - will meet you guys on the water Saturday if you make it out here. And fresh shad to boot... my arm thanks you Keith :smile2:.

You going to be fishing out of your boat tomorrow Bryan?

16. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Fellas Ill be out Fri. evening to get shad. Im hoping they are still stacked in the honey hole. Its been a week since we hit the mother load. This time of year they are usually in there thick. If so, Ill have a whole cooler full, and Ill keep them on ice. :wink:

17. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Jay do you think it would be a fair trade (fresh shad for you GPS loctions)???:big_smile::big_smile::smile2::wink::cool2::tounge_out:

18. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    DEAL!! :smile2::wink::cool2:

19. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Should know tomorrow if we are coming.
    If we make it we hope to be on the water around 5am Sat.

Hope to see you soon..

TD

20. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Jay those shad are elusive:wink::tounge_out: it's that way here too...I have learned they will move when..the lake turns over....the oxygen level changes..they gotta spawn:smile2: I would hit that lake at night with a super spot light drive slow with it on the water they will jump in the boat:wink: race ya....all kinds of stuff...they may be suspended....plus if i remember right when me & johnny talked to ya at the tourney there is a river on the upper end seems like we caught some there:wink: Hate to see ya go overseas be carefull!!:wink: