Why do people fish for carp?

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by whiskerchaser, Jun 17, 2006.

1. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Hey guys I was wondering why do people fish for carp I know they fight hard and are good cut bait but u cant eat them can u? I was taught that they arent good tasting at all and u couldnt eat them. Also do u guys have some good carp recipes that catch huge ones? post them all.

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    People fish for carp for the sport, big carp are hard to catch..Most people I know who fish for carp release them..I fish for catfish and I dont eat them, so I dont see much difference.

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I like to fish for fun, not for food. Don't get me wrong, I love some fried Catfish, or just about any fish. But that's not why I fish, I love the challenge and fun times had when fishing. Carp are excellent fighters, that's why people fish for them.:smile2:

4. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Caught A 5# Carp Today While Fishing For Catfish, But I Hate Carp ,I'd Rather Not Catch Anything, Than A Nasty Carp.

5. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Its kind of like bass fishing I dont know many people that eat bass cause there isn't much meat. I also heard you can pressure cook carp and eat them bones and all.

6. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    although i've never seen a carp on anyones wall.:lol:

7. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Yeah, you can eat carp. I got one in the freezer right now. But they're extremely bony. I usually catch all mine while catfishin', but I did read a carp recipe stinkbait. I tried to make it once, (but I'm not known for bein' much of a cook :big_smile: ) And it actually smelled good enough to eat. I didn't get it even close to right, but I had all the ingredients in it. I took it out anyways, just to see if it worked. Didn't catch a carp off it, but I did catch a channel cat or two. But if you got it right, and there was carp somewhere in the vicinity, then I'm almost possitive you'd catch 'em off this bait. I'll post the recipe once I find the magazine its in, tomarrow. Hope it'll help.

-Red

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

yep you were right you can eat em though I don't I had a guy in my home town that loved em. he'd gut scale and pressure cook em and eat em like locks are make carp patties like salmon patties out of em.

9. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    i know of a good carp bait. get a box of wheaties cereal smash it up real good almost to powder and mix in strawberry pop until you get it to a dough. then pack it on a small treble hook.

10. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    You can eat them if you score them correctly, the bones will cook right up, but it must be done right. They aren't cat but but in a river with current they are a blast to catch!

11. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    You wont ever see me eat a carp thats just plain nasty in my book. I dont and wont fish for carp> have no use for carp and in my opinion they are good for one thing fertalizer. I also dont eat cat I do fish for cats once in a while. I rarely eat bass and I fish for them a lot. about the only fish I do eat are trout salmon and a bit of sturgeon once in a blue moon.

12. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :confused2: Why does everyone keep putting down the poor ole carp. I used to eat a lot of them when a kid and up till into the early 80's. If deboned right and fried right they make a darn good sandwhich.Any thing over 5# i just scrape off the scales slice them off off the backboneand all you have left is a slab of meat.that way you done even have to mess with thier insides.slice them into slabs put cornmeal on the ,put in hot grease and fry till golden brown. now thats good eatin.Don't knock it till you try it.Some of you might be surprised. granted it's not as good as cat. but not bad.

13. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    We have a small pond at the egde of town and it's actually in the city limits. We fish it for carp at least once a week. (Private owned) It is unusual to catch a carp UNDER 10 lbs. It's loaded with big ones. Biggest was a 33 lber. caught by a friend. They are all released for someone else to catch. You may see 5 to a dozen or more kids fishing there in the afternoon. This pond also has some nice channels and have caught them up to 12 lbs. They are released too. We use ultralite rigs when carp fishing and they fight really hard. Going to try using a fly rod outfit soon. Got a fishing derby there on June 24 and you ought to see the look on the kids face when they get ahold of one of them. We have had as many as 80 kids on a afternoon out fishing. It's a blast.

14. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i enjoy catching carp to me they are just plain old fun to catch and they always seem to be hungry.i do cpr them and if i can get this scanner to work i'll put a few pics up but i think the thing is smarter then i am:confused2:

15. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    thanks guys I thought it was mainly sport I guess I am partly right and I will have to try and eat one, one of these days. But I will have to wait till i catch one well thanks for your opinion guys.

16. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I often see these guys from Russia and they target them and eat them. I'll have to find out how they prepare it! My dad use to bake it with onions and tomatoes and the meat just fell off the bone! Besides I grew up putting fried (any fish) fish in a piece a bread, eat it and spit out the bones, no big deal! I learned to filet later! I enjoy hanging into one anytime he wants to try me out! He is a fighter and will destroy a cheap reel! Cpr if I dont eat it!

17. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    I fish about a 130 foot long, 30 foot wide pond that is infested with carp of all species. It has some bullheads and bluegill in it too but thats it. I fish these carp primarily for cut bait. The carp that i catch are all between 8 and 20 pounds so it lasts for a long time. Plus its a lot of fun to catch them and see them jump and make big splashes.

18. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    not alot of fish burn drag like a good carp once it realizes its been hooked.

19. Boss Hogg

Boss Hogg New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    Dont they have a large mudvein in them? I heard they tasted like poo.

20. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I fish for them because they fight hard and are hard to fool. When I miss my workout days at the gym, I just grab a small spinning outfit and go carp fishing lol.