Why do people call fishing rods, fishing poles?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Bill in SC, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Rods were made to accept reels. Poles are not. Poles, whether cane or fiberglass are usually used for pan fish, with the exception to very stout cane poles with short lines used to run a jigger. Am I the only one who thinks like this? BTW: I think it is a geographical location thing, but I do occasionally hear folks here in SC speak of their rods as poles. A rod is NOT a pole.
    Bill in SC

2. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Well no sense in getting up tight over it.:wink:

When I was a kid my dad started us out fishing for sunnys from the shore using a cane pole. There are times I still call my rods poles ex: "my lucky pole".
    I guess it is something that carries over from childhood.

3. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Bill, I am guilty as hell for calling a rod a pole. Growing up in the eastern part of NC we used cane poles and limbs to fish with and we referred to every thing used to cast or place the bait and rig a pole. Even today, I have to catch myself and tell me clients to get the rod and bring the fish in. Occassional I slip up and tell them to get the pole and they get the rod, so no harm done. There is an old saying about 'you can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy or man'.

PS, now that I know you don't like it, I will try harder to call it a rod. Your friend in catfishing, Mac.

4. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Does the term Redneck mean anything to you ???? :wink::smile2::wink:

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    < Well no sense in getting up tight over it.:wink:>

Not uptight, just curious as to the thought process to call rods, poles.

<When I was a kid my dad started us out fishing for sunnys from the shore using a cane pole.>

Yep, those are poles! :smile2:

I don't know, it's kinda like calling everything that is transportation, a car.

<Even today, I have to catch myself >

I occasionally do too, and I started this thread. :)
    Bill in SC

6. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Jerry, whom are you calling a Redneck?:confused2:

I like your bike by the way. Have a good one.

7. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    That's funny, I never actually thought about it, but you're right. While we're on the subject:

Why is any soda, regardless of the actual brand, called a "Coke" or a "Pepsi", depending on where you might be in the country? As in "Get me a Coke" "What Kind?" "A 7 UP":smile2

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    LOL, yeah and another goodie is when folks call fishin' line, STRING! :)
    BB in SC

9. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Well you startedit so who here still calls a refrigeator (spelling) an ice box?

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Technically, a refrigerator IS an ice box, so that would be acceptable. :smile2:
    BB in SC

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    We call a rod a 'pole' for the same reason we call a refrigerator an 'icebox'...that's what they were originally called. A 'pole' was just that, a cane or tree limb. An 'icebox' wasn't electric, it had a place in the top to put a big chunk of ice. And the iceman came by every day or two. He furnished a sign to put in the window that showed him how much ice we wanted. Old names die hard.

12. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <An 'icebox' wasn't electric, it had a place in the top to put a big chunk of ice. And the iceman came by every day or two. He furnished a sign to put in the window that showed him how much ice we wanted.>

Yessirr, I'm familiar with 'em. However, if ya don't have eyes, ya can't be a tator or a fishin' rod. :smile2:
    Bill in SC

13. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Pole can be used synonymously for the word rod, when used as a unit of measurement which is equal to 11 cubits.

A rod is a cylindrical object that's length is greater than it's width.

In the case of a fishing pole, or a fishing rod, the two can be considered synonymous. Just cause it has a reel attached to it does not change a thing.

You are spitting hairs lol. :wink::smile2:

14. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    when im telling someone to get my fishing tackle i use the word rods,like my surf rods or bass rods or perch poles but when im taking them all i just say get my poles.its an old guy thing.

15. mistynadam

mistynadam New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I don't think I've ever used the term "fishing rod", I've always called them poles....That's what my dad's always called them and I learned from him....Does it really matter what we call them?:cool2:

16. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    At least they are not calling it their Fishing Thingy............:smile2::smile2:

17. mistynadam

mistynadam New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Some people probably do:wink:...still serves the same purpose:smile2:

18. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    same reason i say crick instead of creek, and warsh instead of wash, and yall instead of you all.:wink::smile2:

19. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    my grandpa does.:wink:

20. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I never noticed a difference and I've never fished with your definition of a pole. If it's got a reel on it I call the assembly a pole, if there's no reel on it I have a rod. No thought ever went into it at all.