Why Do Catfish Move Deeper As The Water Cools???

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Oct 29, 2009.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    :cool2: First good response gets reps . If not, they are free to give on ...rollo

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I believe that the water temps stays a little warmer in the deeper depths as the seasons change. While in the summer it has just the opposite effect, surface temps being warmer that the deeper waters...Just my .02!!:smile2:

3. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    could be the water is sightly warmer deeper in winter, deep holes have less current so they use less energy to stay there in rivers and hydro lakes during low food stages in winter and last they are less apt to be picked off by warm blooded fish eaters like birds and otters.

4. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    The same reason we turn on the furnace in the winter.:smile2:

We have a comfort zone(as do fish), and when it gets disturbed, we do something to solve the problem.

5. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    They move deep to reach the thermocline where the temps are warmer than the upper and lower levels. There may also be other factors , but this is the most prominent I've heard.

6. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    once the surface temps hit 50 degrees the fish fall asleep and fall to the bottom for the winter....LMAO!!!!:smile2::smile2::eek:oooh:

7. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I liked your other thought better:wink::crazy: Making me wonder why I give reps tp other post now.:crazy::confused2:

8. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    the water turns over and the warmer water drops down.....did i win:smile2:

9. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    I always thought that hot raised and cold dropped. Wouldn't the make it warmer at the surface?:big_smile:

10. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    perfect answer here....as with all water, water takes the longest to heat up and the longest to cool down. so over the summer the water will start to heat up a lot faster the shallower it is and the deeper water will heat up slower. but over the course of the summer the deeper water will heat up. in the winter the shallow water will cool down quicker than what the deep water will. all these facts will also determin where the thermocline will form over the summer and winter..which also is where you can find a lot of fish at.

11. All I know is this. A hot beer, thrown into a bucket of ice, will chill faster than a cool beer thrown into a bucket of ice.:big_smile::wink:

12. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    As the water cools down the deeper water is warmer so the bait goes deep and the fish follow their food.

13. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    They do it because they want someone to ask the question why. And they are as curious to how many different answers they will get. And in the end they are like HA! i know the real reason why! :smile2:

14. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    More oxygen/warmth in deeper water in the winter.

15. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    actually colder water holds oxygen better than warm water does if my memory serves me correctly.

16. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Believe it or not, like saltwater the water temperature at the bottom in the wintertime is warmer at the bottom than the surface.

17. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Cold water holds oxygen better . This is the reason ice floats. But fish can't use the oxygen in the ice. Neither do they stay just under the ice because there is more oxygen there??:wink:

18. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I've caught channel cats through the ice in 5 foot of water with 30 and 40 foot holes close by,explain that!

Everybody knows they go deep for a period of catfish meditation and to have their gathering to talk about all the crazy crap the catfishermen threw at them over the summer,they have some food and drink and tell lies about the fishermen they let get away!

19. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Uhhhhhh no, now Im going to speak technical and Im not saying that this is the reason but it may explain something about water (I was a SONAR Tech and studied it) Im no expert but this is completely wrong.

There are multiple types of gradients for water:

Isothermal which the temperature from surface to bottom is the same or very close.

Positive gradient where the bottom is actually warmer than the surface and

A negative gradient where the bottom is colder than the surface.

Now depending on salinity content in the ocean and current and depth is how this is affected and where you are at in the world as far as saltwater is affected.

Now for fresh water you can pretty much count out the salt content altho there is a little bit there but not enough to affect the temperature. But what will affect the temperature it the current that runs through it, depth and clarity of the water i.e. is it muddy or clear and how far down does that go.

Buckeye is a shallow lake so it is probably Isothermal and the fish probably go down the bottom, the deeper the lake the less the bottom will be affected by the sunlight to warm it up, however if there is a current that is taking the warm shallow water to the bottom then it will affect it.

The wind will normally only affect the top layer of the water (as far as mixing temperatures) but if its not that deep then it will affect the whole water column.

Edited to add this linky

http://waterontheweb.org/under/lakeecology/05_stratification.html

20. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    I'll probably get slammed for this, but I'm not sure I can answer this the way it's asked, but I guess it's a theory that has put me on fish at least the Channels and Blues in the colder months. An old quote, but a lot of truth to it. ""Find the bait, you'll find the fish"". The bait fish will go deeper as the waters get colder, where you find bait, you will find the cats. In the Fall and winter, when the water temps are cold, If the sun is out heating up the surface water, I'll find the baitfish up in the shallows, talking 6' and less. When the bait is up shallow, the cats will be too. Winter time fishing for the blues and channels, I'll fish the shallows on sunny days. Cloudy days, if the bait is deep I'm fishing deep.

I think to an extent, the baitfish dictate where the cats will be. My feeling is the baitfish will go deeper for warmer water temps, with the cats in tow for a meal.