Why do casting rods have so many eyes?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by catfishing is fun, Jul 7, 2007.

1. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    It is a question I have been wondering about for along time, I just dont understand why casting reels have somany eyes, they have like 1 eye to every foot in lenth, while a spinning reel has about 1 eye to every 1.5 to 2 feet in lenth, why is this??

Thanks for the insight
    Marshall

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    My reels don't have any eyes, but the rods do. :wink: (Sorry, couldn't resist that) Actually, the better rods will usually have more guides than cheaper ones. I'm not a rod builder, but generally speaking that is the case. As for spinning rods, the eyes are larger because of the way the line comes off the reel, of course, and also are on the bottom side of the rod, so the guides aren't quite as critical, perhaps, in keeping the line off the rod under load.
    Someone who is more knowledgeable than I am will surely jump in with a better answer. :smile2:

3. Smuggo

Smuggo New Member

State:
    sc
    I remember a rod with no guides.The line fed out the tip of a hollow rod blank. It was supposed to cut down on friction from the guides for longer, smoother casts.

Can't even remember the brand name...must not have been a good idea...have'nt seen any since

4. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    I think that fewer guides create less friction for better casting. I would like to find a med/hvy rod with solid stainless guides, with no inserts that always seem to come loose.

5. catman73

catman73 New Member

State:
    Lawrence Kansas
    I would say that the above response is correct. Spinning rods dont have as many eyes due to the rod being over the reel and unless you are using it upside down there is little chance of the line touching the rod.

6. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    I don't think it is so much a casting rod verses a spinning rod thing as much as like has already been said it is a quality issue. I have 7 foot spinning rods with 9 guides and 7 foot casting rods with 9 guides. The more guides the better is what I have heard from rodbuilders.
    The rod that had no guides was a Pinnacle. I believe it was on the market for just a year or two. Probably not a bad idea but I can imagine it was a royal pain to feed limp line up through that thing.

Cheez

7. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    The reason for the number of eyes on a rod is to make it cast better and keep the line from touching the rod blank. If the guides are placed properly the only time the line will touch is under maxium load. Also more or less guides does not determine the distance as much as putting the guides in the correct place. every blank is different, if I get 10 blanks in a shipment the guides will be in 10 different places, if put on right. A lot of clients ask for 9 or more guides on a blank and after placement on the blank some of them will work better with 7, some with 8 ect.

8. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    The line isn't supposed to touch the rod blank because......................................................................................................................................................................................................................the line can wear through the finish and wear a groove in the rod and break it or fray the line.

9. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    That is correct, but check all rods on the market and see how many are actually like that.

10. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    not real sure on casting rods, but with spinnin setups the pole is upside down as apposed to a spincast or a bait castet. all the load on the line is spread between the eyes themselves. more eyes equal beter weight distribution along the rod.

11. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    thanks guys for all the info, i guess it is true that you learn something new everyday

12. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Yes! I also learned today that it is still somewhat controversial and still a matter of opinion among rod makers and users for all of my life.I am 62 and people still differ on the number and location of guides just as we differ on what we like in a rod.Were there a perfect rod,we would all be using it.I think that our physical changes and ability's in life often leads to changing views when it comes to choices in rods and reels.I have come to like slow or limber rods now that I am crippled.I find them far more forgiving.They also need far more guides to keep the line off of the rod.Life is full of changes in likes,dislikes and opinions if we keep a open mind."I ain;t got much choice"often comes to mind.I remember a "very old man" of 50 saying this when I was about 12.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

13. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Like they said the casting rods r ultra old in design n when they bend the needed extra guides help keep the line off the rods.

Yes a spinner here....he hee...lol.

:smile2:

14. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL

Not to get off subject, but take a look at the Ugly Stick Tigers.....SS Guides, no inserts....

15. nemad9

nemad9 New Member

State:
    wv
    cabelas still sells a rod with no guides the line goes right through the rod i think its called the inner cast. It comes with a line feeder.

16. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri

Thats the only way I build em unless the client request something different.

17. RandyH

RandyH New Member

State:
    VA
    the reason rods have so may guides
    line and [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-0]Torque[/SIZE][/SIZE] will be distributed evenly through the entire bend if the rod
    less guides more [SIZE=-0]torque keep in mind all rods are different but when you see store bought rods with less guides that is usually because they don't care
    tight lines
    randy
    [/SIZE]