Why do 10% of anglers seem to always catch fish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bluehunter, Jul 12, 2009.

1. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Why do 10 percent of anglers seems to always catch fish?

This is a statement and concept that I have been hearing for a number of years. Each lake/river seems to have people that fit into this category be it for catfish, bass, crappie, and bluegill. What are some the characteristics that these people have in common. Why are some of these anglers good at multiple locations? What are some of their secrets? I will talk about some of the aspects of some of these individuals and what they do best in this short right up about - Why do 10 percent of the anglers have all of the success? I do not have all of the answers, but I can share some insight to what I have observed in people that fits into this category. Also keep in mind that their is no magic bait that can help solve a lot of these problems. The key is being on the fish. If you are not on the fish, you will not catch any. Now there are some times that certain baits will out produce others such as certain genres of bait like - stink bait, cut bait, etc. But for the most part you want to be where the fish are. If the fish are not coming to you, then you want to go to the fish.

Persistance and dedication - One thing that a lot of these anglers have in common is persistance and dedication. They payed the cost in the past with many skunkings but stayed with it and learned the body of water that they are fishing. A lot of these anglers talked to those who had success in the past, watched them or even fished with them, or just tried many different spots over a time frame until they learned what areas puts out the best in a body of water. You have to be consistant in your approach when it comes to learning a body of water. Dont get discouraged when you happen to get skunked. Learn from the skunking and come back home and reflect on where you fished and what time of year it was, weather, and also time of day. Keying these things in your mind can help you in the long run. Also remember that you can not learn an area or catch that dream fish if you do not give it a go on a continuous basis. Kind of like how sports figure have to practice to get good in their craft or maintain good condition and readiness, fisherman have to do the same thing in a way. Practice fishing by getting out there and fish.

Try different areas - When learning a new body of water you will want to try different areas. This can be accomplished by instinct, observing where others fish, and also by use of a depth and fishfinder. Don't fish too long in an area that is not producing move on. The rule of thumb for a lot of anglers is the 30-45 minute rule. If not bit in that time frame than time to move on. I tend to give an area 45 minutes. If you are learning a area it is imperative that you move on. You should not stay any longer unless you know that this spot is productive through past experience. Even when observing bass fisherman you see that they tend to fish an area for a short period of time and move on. The same principle can be applied to catfishing almost.

Have an arsenal of bait ready. One mistake that catfish anglers make is lack of assortment of bait in fishing especially when it comes to learning a lake. You have to find out what the fish want. In a lot of lakes its the same thing, but in some it is different. The main catfish bait presentations includes the following: cut bait, shrimp, liver, stink bait, worms and so on. You will find times that there will be days that the catfish will prefer one over the other. A good rule of thumb is to have 3 assortments of bait present when you are catfishing. 9 times out of 10 one of those 3 assortments will get you some catfish when you are fishing.

Maintain a logg or mental note about fishing conditions and situations - keep a writing logg about your fishing experiences or mental note. Remember weather conditions, time of year, and water temp. You will soon find out that there will be a trend with certain conditions you see such as water temperature and weather. This can help tell you where you should fish and where you should not fish. Wether to go shallow or deep can also be established by this note keeping. Patterns can be learned this way and it can be very helpful in your fishing experience.

Have a positive attitude. Have a positive attitude. Keep all drama away and have a good time when fishing. Attitude can go a long way. It can help you make the right decisions. It can also help you in your future fishing adventures and keep you coming back. Jealousy and envy does not belong in fishing. You will wins some and lose some. If you lose some, dust yourself off and rebait and put it back out there. This is also a part of persistance and dedication. If we won every battle, it would be called catching, and not fishing. Enjoy yourself.

Maintain communication with other anglers - communicate with other anglers. Find out what been working lately. Make friends with other fisherman and stay in touch on their fishing experiences. Read fishing reports and articles. These things can help lead us in the right direction as to what is working and what is not working. Fishing forums is an excelent way of accomplishing this.

Learn your fish finder although it is not a lock that this will help catch you fish all the time, it can definitely let you know if there is fish there. This can also give you water temp, depths, bottom structure, and drops offs and other bottom topography than can help tell you fishing holding areas. Over time you can find excellent spots this way. You can also mark these spots on your GPS and find this same spot consistantly. They are a necessary tool when it comes to fishing plus it can let you know if fish are at the bottom or suspended as well.

These are just a few suggestions and characteristics that the 10 percent of anglers share. If we follow some of these basics you will find that you will also be catching fish more consistantly. Hope this helps.

Also if anyone of you have any more suggestions or characteristics that the 10% share by all means share them. I can always use additional info and tips to make my fishing better as well as other people as well.

B

2. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Another great post to ya brother Brian. Reps to ya Blue:wink:

3. Canadiancatman

Canadiancatman New Member

State:
    Manitoba Canada
    Great post Brian!! :cool2:

4. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yep...that's me! Hard to skunk, lol.

5. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    SCIENCE- I believe that you should understand the biology and physiology of fish.Universities are always doing research and studies on fish behavior.Having a knowledge of these studies will definitely help a fisherman..I grew up wanting to be a marine biologist and I have to believe that a lot of my studies have helped me to understand how to catch fish.

6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Reps to ya on a good post brian. I think hunters fall into this same thing. The guy that works at it, uses his head and learns from his mistakes usually has success. I'm not a big believer in luck, we make our own breks usually.

7. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Words to live by. Keep them coming!!!

8. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Excellent post!Seems like some fishermen want to skip the basics and then wonder why they,re not hooking up.:wink:

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Brian thanks for an excellent post of tried and true methods. I agree with all of it and expecially like the comment of carrying several different baits on each trip. Yes the fish will tell you what they prefer.

10. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    great post! and may i add 90% of the fish are in 10% of the water so if you're one of the 10% that finds the 90% you'll be successful 100% of the time.

11. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Great post. I agree with the persistance and dedication section. I believe you will find the 10% doing the catching are the ones going fishing 90% of the time.

12. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    First of all , that is an impressive fish , I will catch one like that in the future. Secondly , you are speaking facts. Facts that I must not only read but , like all other facts I've recieved on this site , apply. Sometimes I go fishing and will fish for hours without so much as a nibble , but I keep going. Recently , I've been fishing a lake up the street from my job in the mornings when leaving work and all I'd catch were these bullheads. After 7 trips with nothing but bullheads , I began to doubt the logic of it all. But I couldnt just give up on the lake - lots of spots show promise. So I kept going , trying several spots until one afternoon while killing time prior to work , it happened ! Finally caught a channel - and a nice one at that! Since then , the ratio of channels to bullheads has skyrocketed! Even caught a tableworthy blue yesterday evening. So , with that said , next time I go , which will be when I get off this morning , I'll take some cutbait and give it a go! If I dont fall asleep , I'll post the results!!

13. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Great post!

One thing I notice that is important is that you need to have a game plan for the fishing trip. Have a technique or two to try before you even leave. Here is the important part, if that technique does not work change no matter how much you want to stick with it or how much research you put in to it, no matter how well it should work theoretically switch to something that IS working!

14. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Thanks guys you all bring up some great points. The game plan is great as well I always seem to put into my mind my plan of attack and where I am going to fish. I call it my A, B, C, and D plans. If A is not producing I move on to plan B and so on.

B

15. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    Wow, what an awesome post. You've articulated what I have been thinking for years, why I can catch all the fish and my buddies who fish do not. Reps to you!