Why did you choose the 6500/7000

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by LMHart, Aug 6, 2009.

1. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    As many of us started catfish we quickly found out that our current equipment was not suited for the situation. So we started researching what would be the best. We purchased longer bigger rods and then chose a reel. As you may have noticed the 6500/7000 are very popular, but why is that? I chose mine because when I was reading Channel Catfish Fever he mentioned that it was suited for the situation. Enough for me so I headed to the store and became a proud owner of a 6501 for $65.00. I have since added another. I ask because as I do more research I have seen that the Penn 9M is very similar to the abilities of the 6500 and holds more line.

2. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    In my case I have owned many Penn reels mostly for Saltwater fishing,but
    Abus for the most part cast much better and are more suited for me bank fishing.That being said I am gonna get me a 309 at some point for a long rod.You can get better distance with them on a 10ft + rod,prefer 12 ft or so.They are workhorse reels for sure.Comparing a 309 to 9000 or
    10000 ABU.......you couldnt lose either way.The Abus would get a little more distance from the bank maybe,but other than that...good either way.Penns like the older Abus last forever....
    I never owned a 9m reel so I cant speak for that reel,but I bet the 6500 is a better caster as well.

3. Madtownangler

Madtownangler New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I bought a 6500 because Doug Stange told me to.......even though they used mostly Quantum reels on the early In-Fisherman videos.

4. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    You make a very valid point. My 209 does not cast near as well as my 6500. I admit that I am an Abu snob. I really like my 6500's. I am just wondering if the Penn's had been more popular among freshwater fishermen if we all would be praising Penns instead.

I think that is the guy in the book I read. :smile2:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I choice Abu because they are good reels.

6. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    I haven't yet. I still have a pair of 5601C4's. But I plan to soon. When I do, it will be because of peer pressure.

Oh, and added line capacity.

7. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've been using Abu's for years so it was just the natural progression to keep moving up and I've never been disappointed. Stay safe and stick a pig!!!:wink:

8. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Since I only bank fish the river, I need casting distance. I use 12' rods and Abu 6500 and 7000 Pro Rockets with #65 Power Pro. In my opinion this combination gives me the best chance. If I only fished from a boat, obviously the equipment would be different. I would probably use Penn reels on much shorter and stouter rods.

9. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    When I decided to switch to baitcasters it was almost assumed I would get an ambassador. LOL it was the only baitcaster I had ever really seen people use for catfishing. I tried a few sizes and the 6500 has been best for me. When I fish I like to use the smallest equipment I can to get the job done that won't let me down either. I think sometimes we catfishmen go overboard with equipment. You see catfishermen routinely use bigger rods, hooks, line, leaders etc than saltwater fishermen that target species twice as big.

10. trctrdr

trctrdr New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I went on a couple of charter fishing trips for stripers and blues, both in Tenn. with different captains, both used 6500's exclusively, I figured they worked well for the pros, so I now have four,,no regrets. great reels.

11. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    ABU reels are workhorses and well made. Last forever if you take care of them. I have two in the 6000 line and like the extra line capacity along with a little more beef than the smaller models. Never know when that big guy might grab and run with your bait.
    Hopefully SOON! :dribble:

12. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    I just recently bought one and I chose it simply because of the casting distance. I have a few friends that own them and another friend who is a die hard penn reel man. I've casted both of theirs and the abu outcasted the penn easily

13. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I cose the 6500 because of the casting distance.

When I first started using a biat caster I tried a penn 209, andd found that it was not a good reel to learn with.

14. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    They're lightweight and cast good

15. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    I own both reels and believe they have a time and a place where they shine . We won't go into which is best we all have our opinions , so moving right along with mine I feel that penns ounce for ounce have the muscle hence saltwater designations and that has to be comfohting to trophy hunters but I would also like to introduce my new personal favorite the Daiwa 27H , got mine in a grab bag garage sale and love it

16. ProRocketJP

ProRocketJP New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well if you can't tell by the name ProRocket I am all about the Abu 6500's got 6 of them in differing styles the rockets have the double spool brakes that are nice when the current is ripping, other than that they cast so well when i first got the rockets I let a guy cast it to see how smooth it was and all i have to say is he still hasn't made good on the 150 yrds of 65lb power-pro he threw off....ripped the blood knot to the mono backing clean in half....its really about what you like.

17. LazyBum

LazyBum New Member

State:
    East Tulsa, Okl
    I chose my 7000 due to some research and was recomended by a couple of friends. I don't think you can be the 7000. I also have a 10000ct, and love it too