Why cant I catch the big blue catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by CATDADDY78, Apr 7, 2006.

1. CATDADDY78

CATDADDY78 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    ive been fishing the missouri river for 3 years and only landed a 32 lb. blue but that was 2 years ago. I need some tips on where to fish the missouri and how. I usually fish on the tips of wing dikes, cut banks, and cut out wing dikes . i use 3 peen reels with 8' heavy action rods lined with 85 lb stren super braid rigged carolina style. I use a variety of baits, fresh shad, cut shad, suckers, herring, worms:eek: old deer meat,hot dogs ect. i dont know what im doing wrong not to be catching big blues. i normally go out eary morning or right before dark. am i fishing too close, too far, do i have to have my bait suspended and how?, do i have to have my bait sitting on the down slope of a hole what is it guys please help me i have the fever for the flavor of a big blue.

Thanks good luck to everyone

2. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    When your boat is anchored and you've got all your lines it you have to hold your lips right! lol Just kidding! Seriously use large indigenous bait fish shallow at night on the Missouri. Shallow sand bars between dikes are good. Fish those deep holes in the daytime epecially outside bends. If there are any barges in your area toss some bait under them as well. Now if you catch any biguns using these tips its strictly CPR! Keep a few to eat and let them biguns make more biguns. See ya on the water!

3. davemo

davemo New Member

State:
    mo
    OK more questions need answered. Do ya have a boat i kinda get the impression ya do ;if so do ya have a sonar unit on it? Do ya cast net shad or use bought bait?Do ya fish at night?What portion of the mo do ya fish? I fish hermann mo ramp .What ramp ya put in at?Are you tight lining or free spool with clicker on? How long are you staying at your spots?Are you changing bait at least every 20 minutes? Magic is correct in that in the summer shallow flats at night will produce more fish usually than the deep holes.Every stretch of river is different.Mid river holes are great in the day.

4. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Maybe your just no good at it! LOL Just keep trying you'll get him. Don't give up and good luck.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I once went 4 years without catching a single catfish. The fact I was in Turkey may have had some bearing on that fact. But when I got back to the states and went fishing, I started catching catfish again. The moral to this story is DON'T QUIT. They are there and you will hook up again. Sad to say, but have more patience. I bet everyone didn't get a deer the first time they went. I bet a lot didn't get a deer the first 5 times they went. But they kept going and I'd bet almost everyone has a deer by now that wanted on. Catfish are the same... If it was easy, you wouldn't want to fish anyhow.

6. CATDADDY78

CATDADDY78 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    i do have a boat 14' V-bottom w/ 40 hp johnson, i usually fish in a hole for about 45 min. i use shad, suckers, skipjack. i tightline all my poles with drag set low. im waiting till it gets warmer to go all night but i usually fish early in the morn. all day until a bit after dark. im looking for some ideas on how to suspend my bait cause on my sonar it shows big fish but those could be those jumpin bastard carp. also i have an eagle fish mark 480 fishfinder. should i have it on the sonar setting or the fish reveal setting? how much sensitivity shoult i have on it? its hard for me to figure out if they are really fish or not. i put in at weldon springs, and usually go up just before the power plant, had some luck with little ones there. went down stream in between the 40 bridge and the page bridge and do pretty good. i put in at blanchette landing, columbia bottoms access. i kinda think i found a honey hole up past the 367 bridge on the left by mi. #6 I need the hotspots for targeting big blues on the missouri. Help me please

thanks, jason

7. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    AwShucks I guess I'm lucky cause I can sit on my front or back porch and see deer all the time. God I love living in the country. LOL

8. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on things Jason. You have a pretty good fish finder. Depending on location, your probably painting the asian bigheads. They will suspend in 12-15 feet of water behind the dykes during daytime and then move to the surface in the evenings and feed on the plankton. Personally, I dont like the fish reveal settings. You cant tell the size of the echoes in this mode, and your not reading an actual depth. Its neat to see a nice little picture of a fish with the depth next to it, but your not a novice so I wouldnt recommend a novice setting on your finder. Definitely use the sonar settings. I have a certain size echo I look for, and I wont stop till I find it. Learn to read those echoes properly. Really learn to use the grayscale function of your finder, and learn to differientiate between soft and hard bottoms by using this function. If you see an echo, look at the bar graph on the right of your fish finder. This gives you an ACTUAL depth immediately. As far as sensitivity, practice adjusting the clarity. I think the eagles 480's like you have give you a percentage of clarity scale. I use around 73 percent on my Lowrance equipment, and I'm sure yours will be the same. (same company) As well, put your surface clarity to high, so you can eliminate all the clutter at the surface due to the natural current in the Missouri. Take your user guide for the finder out on the river with you, and spend 5 or 6 hours learning to use it. I mean really really learn it. You paid a lot of money for this, and I assure you it will put big fish in your boat when used to its potential. Also, insure your transducer is set properly. You should be able to read depth even running full speed on plane with your 480. The big Blues prefer a hard to rocky bottom. As previously stated they will move out of the deeper holes and feed in the shallows at night. There are a few big ones being caught right now, but I think the bite is a little slack do to prespawn. What size baits are you using? Your setups sound like you are doing the right things, so I'd probably lean towards bait size and presentation. Dont get frustrated, as the Big Ones just get lock jaw sometimes. When you least expect it, you will turn around and be missing 50 yards of line. It happens that fast. Where did you catch your 32 pounder? I can tell you, just like deer hunting, once a good buck spot, always a good buck spot. Same with Big Blue Cats. That 32 what there for a reason. I suspect theres more in that same area. Keep us all posted, and let us know about your baits and presentation.

9. CATDADDY78

CATDADDY78 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Havent Been Out In About 3 Weeks But Im Looking Foward To Gettin Out There. My Motor Is In The Shop And This Guy I Bought It From Is Jackin ME Around. I Traded A 1963 Johnson 28hp And $250.00 For A 1973 Johnson 40hp. It Has An Electric Choke And The Spring Broke And For Some Reason All Kinds Of Problems Are Wrong With It. The Kicker Of The Story Is That Ive Paid For It All And The Guy Gave Me A Warranty On The Motor. Its A Simple Tune Up , Adjusting The Carb, And Replacing The Fuel Pump Diaphram. But "he Needs To Work On The Jobs That Make Money Before He Can Work On Mine". Is Something Wrong Here

10. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Don't worrie Catdaddy its just like dieing, when its your turn its your turn, and that big blue will be so sweet, be sure to let us all know when it happens.