Why bother with log book for data?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by onlyriverfish, Sep 16, 2006.

1. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    I allways ask my fishing friends who keep logs what data they are recording. Is there some corrolation they can derive that isnt allready well known? The bennefit of keeping a log to remember date/fish for historical reference that might indicate seasonal patterns for area fished makes sense, but is there value otherwise?

I go fishing anytime I can and dont bother with a log book because I figure any pattern that historical data has served to predict them is already known and well shared so why bother?
    Wouldnt it be better to rely on what those variables are and adjust current fishing accordingly?

If the fish were not bitting I blame myself for wrong tactics and work to change and improve them or figure fish were not active at that time.

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Does the person to whom you reffer happen to be a gemini? They tend to be organization freeks. No offense intended as we (non geminis) need people like that to do the tedious picking apart of things that we don't have time to do on account of work, school, or just baiting hooks and pulling fish off of them. I'm like you. I fish every time that I have the chance regardless of popular data. Sometimes I do good. Sometimes not. But I don't usually get skunked. On a bad day of fishing, I'm the guy in the party that catches a couple of fish. I also fish with an old timer that can just look at the water and tell where to fish by instinct and experience. That's how I want to be. I do some research, and ask questions, but I don't have time or patience for record keeping. You are already way ahead of me. Graphing 90# fish then catching them. WOW.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I don't if if it's a Gemini thing I am a scorpio and used to log fish, bass. I had thought about starting agian since i am in a new state but trial and error have put me on a few good spots along with info received from the guys of the BOC.

4. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Thats good Matt-your prob right.:big_smile:
    I could be a organization freak though, just dont have faith that the few variables that would be logged would provide accurate info. Figure we will never know enough of them and others have allready provided the data.

And I still dont believe em! If the water is dropping I still go because ya just never know.

5. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    I really can't see keeping a log other than perhaps to know where and what season your catches occured. Weather, lake level, moon, shad population, boat traffic, pressure, etc. are all going to play a roll and they won't be the same for succeding years.

6. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Well That Last Thing That I Need To Be Looking For While I'm Out Fishing Is A Pen Or Pencil. Lmao.... Can't See Me Keeping A Log

7. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    I used to keep one,just a spiral notebook that I recorded the weather conditions mainly,and what was biting on what.About the only thing I was able to derive was that crappie slowed waaaaaaay down about 10:30 a.m.

It got wet while out about 3 years ago,and never started a new one.I go fishing when I can anyways,but I enjoyed keeping a log.If nothing else,it verified trends that I thought happened month to month.Also was kinda of a journal,kinda sounds gay,but I enjoyed leafing thru it in the winter.

8. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I'm a Sagitarius and I keep an Anglers journal but not in it on FISH patterns...now FLY patterns are a different story though! So..What are Sagitarius's Known for? Certainly not their spelling.. =]

9. shuorc

shuorc New Member

State:
    fl
    Missed an appointment once and was given a DAY MINDER as a result, it was too large and bulky to be of much use so for the last few years i've carried a 'pocket weekly' and i love it. Not only fishing info but when the beans were planted, grand kids birthdays, color codes for different wiring projects. Lets my mind wander because now i know each year the specks hit the pads on the first moon of February--can't wait.--shu

10. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Fishermen call it a log, women call it a diary. I do like to keep a journal of fishing experiences but not of every trip.

11. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    Well I've been called a few names but none of those you guys mentioned. A log book/diary has little or nothing to do with catching fish, it's creating memories, nothing more.........It's similar to taking pictures, they don't help you catch fish, do they? You still take pictures of a good stringer or a "biggin." I fished the Osage before Truman Dam was started and sometimes I'm asked what the fishing was like before. When we get to telling stories about some of the fish they sometimes get a little bigger than they were when they were caught, but with the "log" it keeps things in perspective......and it's more believeable.....besides, hopefully someday a great grand child will read it and say Grandpa sure lead a good life didn't he.....I should add most of the fish in my log were caught by "Grandma." I also keep records of my duck and goose hunts. Some of those guys I hunted with are gone now and the log sometimes helps the rest of us remember the times we had together.........Other than that they have NO purpose......

12. bank bouncer

bank bouncer New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    I like putting some thoughts down on paper, because our ablility to recall after a few years tend to vary right along with the size of fish we caught,LOL.:cool2:

13. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have started doing a log book partially. I have a photo album that has almost every fish ive caught since last year. I write down the lake, the time of the year, device caught on(pole or jug) ,type of bait, and approximate locaiton on lake.

In the future I hope to be able to look back and say hey, in the summer of 06 i was catching big blues around the dam at night on shad. Or something similar.

14. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    Making one can come in very handy for later use when your fishing a day like you have one time before you can refer back to it and see what type area you was fishing what type bait you was using and and what type area they was in. and what the temp at that time was.

I most the time log them things after my trip is done. so a person who keeps a log book infact is doing a smart thing also helps with teaching the kids more about catfishing when you do not have the time to tell them they can read it.

So keep keeping the logs they are useful to many.

15. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I keep a rough fishing journal on some of my outings. I can't say as it has ever put me on fish, but with ten years of writing in it, it is nice to browse at times. I don't put a lot of info in it, but it may have given me an idea as to where the bait was at that time of year. The fishing is ever changing on the Ohio River, so patterning a fish is like patterning a deer, once you figure out where they are at, it is time to start looking again. lol Vern

16. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I keep a log of EVERY trip that includes the water and air temperature, sky conditions, fish caught, bait used, and locations and depths fished.

Does it help? YOU BETCHA!

I have been able to go back to previous years and find out where fish and fish those areas. Its a good way to keep track of what works and what does not work and when and under what conditions. We generally remember the good things we want to remember and forget the rest. The log is a reminder of everything that made it work or made it not work.

The biggest reason is that it forces you to pay attention to detail. Small things that we tend to forget about are chronicled in the logs. Attention to detail is part of consistency, and consistency is how you catch fish time and time again. Sure, it takes time to come home and make the logs on the computer, but I am "eat up" with catching trophy cats and this is part of the fun!

Some may call it compulsive, but it has allowed me to be within 150 fish of my 1,000 fish goal for this year.

17. cattinfever999

cattinfever999 New Member

State:
    KY

I'm the one who bought the journal for Vern. He received it for Father's Day. I bought it after seeing Vern read old journals that his father use to keep. I was hoping to one day watch our children/grandchildren pour through his journal and be amazed at all the entries and the pics of fish.

Ok, I also bought it to use in my future trial as exhibit #1 as to why I offed my husband for fishing so much and not being home.:big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile:

18. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    well a couple years ago I logged bass fishing trips and how, when and what I was catching them with. A year later in December when I thought it was too late I looked back at my logs and found the last entry to be in the same month and fish were biting. It also helps me remeber the best times and baits.

19. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    one thing I did for awhile is built a spreadsheet,
    you can then put in filters to pull information about the times simlar to the day you are fishing.