why are people such....

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by loganfrum94, Sep 7, 2009.

1. loganfrum94

loganfrum94 New Member

State:
    ohio
    why do people have to cut your limb lines and trot lines and the bad thing was that i was in a privite pond were lots of people fish. i lost alot of swiviles and hooks

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    maybe the owner of the pond did it?

3. loganfrum94

loganfrum94 New Member

State:
    ohio
    the owner lives a long wayaway

4. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    Are you supposed to be fishing there?

5. festus

festus New Member

How many lines did they cut and how many swivels and hooks did you lose? The only situation I could see this being justified is maybe someone got hung up in one of your lines. But then, they should have cut their own line and left your's alone. If lots of people fish there, maybe more than one got hung in one of them.

But most likely, that's not the case. It probably was some @$$#o!e who cut your lines. :crazy:

6. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I fish private property and know for a fact that only 4 people have permission to fish there.. And no one is allowed to use limb lines.. And that is my rule!! I dont own it but Im sort of the person that looks out for it.. Maybe they have someone that looks out for it just as I do the property I fish... I know I would cut everything I saw with no questions asked...
    If you dont have permission and fish it just cause their far away doesnt make it ok..

1. Its trespassing
    2. Destruction of private property
    and if you keep the fish
    3. Its theft..

If you dont have permission I would just cut my losses and find a new place to fish...

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  7. loganfrum94

loganfrum94 New Member

State:
    ohio
    im alound to fish there

8. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    id check into it with the owner and ask if he minds you using limblines then go from there. i know all the private ponds i fish you aren't allowed to trotline, limbline or snag. i dont blame them ether, you can decimate a small pond quickly with those methods.

9. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Logan, I've run into this kinda' thing before. The ower has given permission to you...and how many others? If you are not aware of the others and they are not aware of you. They or you may consider the other to be trespassing. You need to find out from the owner who has permission to be there.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  10. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I think Andy has come close there. Strangers passing in the night and don't know it. Someother person got access like you do and just don't like whomever (you) put out the limb lines or bank lines. I can see their point very easily.

11. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    I'm not saying this about you, Logan, just from personal experience with our own situation with private ponds. My grandfather would let just about anybody fish on his ponds, as long as they asked first and followed his rules. 1. Keep all you want, but they better be caught by rod and reel cause he isn't maintaining his ponds just to feed entire families. 2. You had better drop off at least one fish for his own supper if you had a good day fishin. and 3. Always ask, everytime, before you go. Still, people would abuse it and show up at midnight, open the gates and drive right on through the fields like they owned the place. He had a keen sense about hm and could usually tell they were there and would not hesitate to go down there and run them out. Break a rule and lose your priviledges. I still remember once when I was about 9 or 10 yrs old having to round the cattle back up cause someone snuck down there and left the gates open. Other times people would show up because their friend had told them about the place and gave them permission to go. Can't understand what goes through some peoples minds as to what they believe they have a right to.
    Back to the OP, if other people are sharing the pond you are also fishing, it's just common courtesy to stick with rod and reel, as there are varying views on alternate methods of fishing, and strong opinions at that. Most times when someone is taking the time to get permission to fish private ponds and lakes, it's because they want to be away from the public areas and the nuances that come with them, and fish just to relax. I imagine someone saw your lines as an infringement on their little place of Eden, and reacted as such, even if it would have been more appropriate to simply pull the lines out of the water instead of trashing them.

12. festus

festus New Member

This is something similar to what happened to a pond within a couple miles of me. It was originally a coal mine quarry. After the mining was over, the land company opted to make a lake out of it, and the state of TN stocked it with largemouth bass, bluegill, shellcrackers, channel catfish, and about 25 sterile grass carp. The land around the pond was leased to a cattle farmer, but John Q. Public was allowed to fish the pond. The first few years, there wasn't much abuse other than littering. Then as times went on, idiots left the gate open, the cattle escaped several times, and litter got even worse. Some idiot brought his bass boat in there and was speeding around and grounded in shallow water and had to call the owners for help. Then crackheads and drunks at night kept neighborhood folks awake at night. After about 8 years, the place was posted, even to the extent no one was allowed to pick blackberries. It's a dern shame, I never limblined or trotlined it, but it was a very convenient place to fish because it saved gasoline and I could drive there in less than 5 minutes. :angry::sad2::embarassed:

13. loganfrum94

loganfrum94 New Member

State:
    ohio
    that really suxs man!!

14. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    If you have permission to be there and limb trot or jug ..(which as said earlier can ruin a pond if small .) I suggest staying there while they are out . Get WRITTEN permission from the landowner and suggest to him that others need written permission as well and that you may help keep uninvited guests out . Tag your lines even if not neccesary someone might run them or trash them then call you up and try to give them a piece of their mind . If you are on the up and up you have nothing to fear but fear itself . Just some thoughts .

15. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    man i ahte it when my gill nets get cut up :smile2:

seriously though you should contact the land owner and make sure that it is cool to be trotlining and see who else is allowed..if i had a place and let people fish it and found a trotline i think id be addressing it rather quickly..but some people dont care what you do..so..i guess id jsut have to talk to the man in charge and go from there

16. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    it sounds to me like someone is just stealing your fish that you catch then cutting your lines making you think that the line broke. simple as that. I may be wrong but it sounds logical to me.

17. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Some people just don't like limb lines and trot lines and will cut them if they are legal or not. You just gotta take the bad with the good.

18. catman79

catman79 New Member

State:
    iowa
    i would suggest making sure they are legal and that you have permission to be doing it,maybe have the owner let the other people know you are doing it and to not mess with them

19. festus

festus New Member

Yeah I know this jerk who raids trotlines, limblines, and banklines from his boat. This yeh-hoo crackhead needs to be in prison, he also steals from people's gardens, steals catalytic converters, well, he'll steal anything he can get his hands on. The only reason he's not in prison is because he rats out other crooks. I can't figure this, he's an excellent mechanic, used to race on the dirt track circuit, and has built houses, been an ironworker, he can do anything. It takes as much or more effort to steal something. :angry:

20. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The previous replies were great explanations, IMO though its pure meanness.:cool2::angry: