Why 2 different h.p. ratings for same boat?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Wabash River Bear, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I ordered a new Lowe Olympic 1652 jon set up for tiller steer this past week. I noticed that Lowe has 2 different h.p. ratings on its jons. In my case 35 h.p. tiller / 50 h.p. remote. Why the difference? It seems to me that if the hull and transom can handle the weight and thrust of a 50 h.p. outboard set up for a console steer it should be able to handle the same h.p. outboard for tiller steering. Its not that I want a 50 horse tiller motor ( a 35 horse will be plenty ) I just dont understand the difference. Can anyone enlighten me?:confused2:

2. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    It's harder to control big horse power with tiller steering and the balance of the boat changes when the weight is forward with non tiller steering. Thats what I have been told. My Lowe is rated at 40 tiller and 70 non tiller.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    The tiller steer model probably doesn't have the same bracing and support structures that the remote-steer model has. Weight distribution plays into it also, I'll bet -- with a remote steering setup, the weight is farther forward.

Lund makes a tiller steer boat that's rated for 175hp. So it's not just about the size of the motor.

4. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    There is no difference between the tiller boat and remote boat structally other than the lack of the console and controls. The mountings are even on the tiller boat for the addition of the console. I might buy into the "balance of the boat" theory with the operator being further forward, but the same bench seat is used in both applications. Thanks for your thoughts though.:cool2:

5. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    What I was trying to say in my post above is, they are the same boat, I just didnt buy the console option. Just wanted to clarify that I wasnt talking about 2 different models.:cool2:

6. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    It's some goofy coast guard rule. The further forward the controls the HP rating goes up. See they have these goofy equations to figure out HP rating. Unless the boat builder gets it coast guard certified for its max HP rating.
    It could be that Lowe just did not want to spend the time getting it certified. The link below is for the back yard boat building. But you can get the drift from it.

http://www.uscg.mil/d8/mso/louisville/WebStuff/comdtpubp16761_3b.pdf

7. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    Wow, now thats some interesting reading. It makes more sense to me now. Thanks for the USCG link. I added it to my favs more future reference. :cool2: