Why 1-piece Rod's over 2-piece Rod's?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by ramon06, Oct 8, 2009.

1. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Just a question. The general census is a one piece rod. 98% of my rods are 2 piece. out of 26 Combos only 4 are 1 piece. I have never broken a rod while reeling in a fish since i was 16 years old using a cheap $12
    K-Mart Combo bass fishing in lilly pads. I dont have strength problems in my rods and I have caught panfish to 60lb+ Catfish on my rods. I know the rule of thumb is stick with what works for you but Im just wondering why everyone prefers 1-piece Rods over 2-piece Rod's?

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    There may not be a logical reason .:big_smile::smile2:Since the invention of the metal less ferrule back in the 70s there is no real advantage I see in one piece rods.I have one piece rods but only because the Penn SLammer I prefer comes that way and is white.They do make a 2 piece version and I buy it and use them.One piece may have a slight strength advanatage but not enough to sway my opinion.One piece are a pain to transport for the most part.Use what you like and believe in.:big_smile:

3. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    My go to rod length is 7', and I think all of mine are one piece..

Usually, any over 7' are 2 piece, as transporting them becomes a concern..

I've had an old Bass Pro Shop 11' 2 pc surf rod, that I've put as much stress on as any, and after 20+ years,, it's still grinnin' for more..

4. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thank you Gentleman.

5. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    i prefer 1pc rods simply because they seem to hold up better on the trophy fish and with the gator gar around here getting up to 300+lbs i need to have 100% confidence in my gear and i have had 2pc ugly sticks break at the split on a small 10lb flat but then again i have had a 10ft king kat 2pc rod hold up to a 50lb flat so its all really a personal preference

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    A few years back I was having problems with two piece rods breaking and not on large fish. I chose to switch to a one piece rod and never had a problem. I would rather fight than switch back.

7. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    I am into surf fishing and almost always the one piece rod beats out the two piece rod for plugging. My go to rod is a custom 11 footer. You may get a two piece, but the action is completely different on a one piece. Other than that for plugging the rod tends to twist. For casting bait there is no difference between the one piece or two piece rods.

8. moriver

moriver New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I always use a one piece because I catch so many big fish a two piece would brake.:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2: I always keep a two piece in my boat. It gives my dad something to grip about. He says he is going to glue it together for me but has yet to do it.... Says he is afrade the Fish Police will come give us a ticket for having a two piece rod.:eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh:

9. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I just started to fish 7' 1pc rods this year. I've always fished 8-8'6" 2pc and had only 2 of them fail in my life on hooksets, both times.. I built/fish custom SW gusa graphite big game(personal designed 2pc)special order blanks now, they can handle anything that swims in freshwater. No worries now:wink::cool2:

Heres a couple shots of one of the first Glass over furrels on a 8'6" 2pc by Heddon. Bought it at a pawn with reel for 25-35. ?? can't remember:roll_eyes:

Attached Files:

10. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    For me personally it's just the "FEEL" I have several two piece rods and love 'em and never had a problem out of them and cought lotsa HAWGS on them. But I have a 9' custom G-Loomis one piece and "LOVE IT TO DEATH" It just feels SO much different. I can catch a 10#er say on one of my two pieces then turn around and catch a 10#er on my one piece and it "Feel's" Totaly different. Hard to explain but it just got that "Feel" to it. Not worth ditching your two pieces and going out to get a nice one piece in my opinion but I sure do LOVE mine. Plus the G-Loomis blank was close to $200 and thats not counting all the Fuji guides and seat and having it custom wrapped and custom handle and the $120 ambassadeur reel on it. :crazy::eek:oooh: Dang we are talking about a $400 set up now, boy my two piece set up's are sounding better by the minute. lol Seriously I love it though but wouldn't break my neck to go out and buy one if I didn't have one. If your catching fish and Happy thats all that matters even if it's a tree branch with some line on it, :wink: There is no MAJOR advantage that I know of, more of a personal thing.

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I fish mainly 12 foot long rods, so I only use 2 piece rods, I never had one break or anything.

12. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Heres the New 1pc (North Fork Composites)/Gary Loomis Blanks that just came out :eek:oooh:.

Model Length Pcs. Line Wt. Lure Wt. Action / Power Butt Tip Price Stock Buy
    MB661-1(IM) 6'6" 1 2-6 lb. 1/32 - 3/16 Fast
    Ultra Light (1) .44 4.5 $159.00

MB662-1(IM) 6'6" 1 4-8 lb. 1/16 - 1/8 Fast
    Light (2) .468 5 $160.00

MB663-1(IM) 6'6" 1 4-10 lb. 1/8 - 3/8 Fast
    Medium Light (3) .464 5 $162.00

MB664-1(IM) 6'6" 1 8-14 lb. 1/4 - 5/8 oz. Fast
    Medium (4) .518 5 $165.00

MB665-1(IM) 6'6" 1 10-17 lb. 1/4 - 3/4 oz. Fast
    Med. Heavy (5) .538 5 $165.00

MB666-1(IM) 6'6" 1 12-20 lb. 1/4 - 1 oz. Fast
    Heavy (6) .542 5 $179.00

MB667-1(IM) 6'6" 1 12-20 lb. 3/8 - 1 1/8 Fast
    Mag Light (7) .55 5 $183.00

MB668-1(IM) 6'6" 1 12-25 lb. 3/8 - 1 1/4 oz. Fast
    Mag Medium (8) .548 5.5 $192.00

MB669-1(IM) 6'6" 1+EXT 14-30 lb. 3/8 - 2 oz. Mod-Fast
    Mag Heavy (9) .544 6 $198.00

MB705-1(IM) 7' 1 10-17 lb. 1/4 - 3/4 oz. Fast
    Med. Heavy (5) .573 5 $183.00

MB709-1(IM) 7' 1 12-20 lb. 1/4 - 1 oz. Fast
    Mag Heavy (9) .588 6 $212.00

13. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    2 piece rods have an inherent weak spot. Just the connection are alone makes it a target area. Try holding a 2 piece by the handle, and then pulling down on the line to create an arch. Note the bend in that arch. WHen it makes it to the connector it goes fairly flat for a bit. That's a lot of load in a small area.

Not to mention, I have seen 2 friends make casts with 2 piece rods, only to have the tip come loose and fly into the water...cutting the line on the way. I have a rule on my boat..I do not pull anchor to go for rod tips. I don't like 2 piece, I tell them not to use 2 piece, but if they still chose to do so, they have to pay the price when it fails them. :big_smile:

Watched 2 tips float away down rivers. Could have easily retireved them. That's the cost of doing business.:wink:

14. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    LOL, flat spot or not doesn't make it weak.( it makes the strongest point thats why it flattens so slightly.) Thats just a joining point of 2 strong peices being brought together to make 1. (When you over lap 2 cilinder objects, which are the strongest,which can take more pressure before crushing than any other in the first place) you have a stronger point, meaning your rod will fail at another pressure point before at the furrell.The 2pc rods I mentioned above popped at the tip and just above the 2nd guide. Never in my life have I seen one break at the furrell.

As for them coming apart, thats because the fisherman failed to connect the 2 peices correctly( metal furrel= pull straight on) ( Glass Over= pull on and twist slightly)And that will keep them together.

Quote-Watched 2 tips float away down rivers. Could have easily retireved them. That's the cost of doing business.

Tells me ALOT about yourself and attitude; If your freind fell in and started floating downstream , would you pull anchor? A freind. ??? IMHO..

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  15. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Way back in the day I bought a cheapo 2 pc and the connection didn't fit right and when I'd cast the fore end went in the lake. After that I started buying 1 pc and have stuck with them faithfully ever since, but I guess it comes down to a matter of personal choice. Stay safe and get a tube of super glue!!!:wink:

16. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    I think they're studier and stronger. but I'm no expert

17. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I prefer the one pc.because it is one less thing to think about but I do have a couple of nine footers for bank fishing that I have confidence in.There is nothing wrong with a quality two pc. blank and as long as you twist the glass ones together they will not pull apart , try it.

18. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Yeah, I would probably pull anchor and go after him if he fell in. I might think it over for a second though.:big_smile:

Maybe it's just personal experience, but other than trunks, doors, and other mishaps, the only rods I have ever seen give way under stress, are 2 piece. And they always broke at the connection.

BTW, the 2 times I watched the tips float away, they were connected properly. Their owners were not new to fishing. It was caused by stress on the joint that, in turn, caused micro cracks and weakened the holding strength. These were not custom rods.

Also, not to get pissy, but I hope you were being humorous about what you get from my comment. You have never met me.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  19. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    might sound like a fish tale but i use one piece rods just for my piece of mind.i use 80 lb power pro,some times as much as 2 lb baits with one lb sinker and i cast from the bank.i cast hard and i just feel better with one piece rods.

20. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    For me its a convience. I prefer two piece rods any day. The only one piece rod I own is a 6' bass rod,and a lil 4' ultra light. all the rest ,even my 7'ers are two piece. I like being able to pack my 12 footers out of sight while I'm traveling.