Whuppin Stick?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Gary S., Feb 19, 2007.

1. Gary S.

Gary S. New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Anybody use a Wuppin Stick, from Cabelas? If so, would you post a review when you have time? Thank You.

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I hear they is good rods. But I have own one.

3. Gary S.

Gary S. New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to my very first review. I spent a fair bit of time on it, so I hope you find it helpful and well organized. Lets get to it!

Rods: Ugly Stick Catfish Model # UCSP 110280 Walmart price: $29.96 ea.

Rod Link: http://www.shakespeare-fishing.com/products/rods/ugly_2007.shtml

Reels: Quantum Optix XR Model # OP60FXR Walmart price: $22.21 ea.

Reel Link: http://www.quantumfishing.com/fwreels/optix_spinning_specs.html

Well I couldn't stand it anymore. We got a little warm weather and my poles are still in storage about 50 miles away. Sooo, I went to Walmart this morning and bought two Ugly Stick Catfish rods--8ft/MH, and two Quantum Optix XR 60 spinning reels. Yeah, yeah, I'm a baitcasting man too, but these rigs were bought solely for fishing the smaller rivers like Cuivre here in Lincoln county.
    -------------------------------The Rods---------------------------------
    Anyway, the ugly sticks had no defects to speak of. White of course with clear tips and "glow in the dark" guides, EVA Foam grip and handle. The MH action seemed perfect for the smaller river. I loaded the reels with 20lb test Big Game and headed for Cuivre.
    The current was a little stronger than I'd anticipated. There were mattress-sized chunks of ice in most of the good eddies, so I ended up having to fish a stretch of water running pretty swiftly along a cut bank as a last resort.
    I first tied on a standard 1 oz slip sinker rig with a barrel swivel, so that my dropper was about 20 inches long. I baited with some frozen skipjack filets--probably 3/4 oz or so. Upon casting I noticed the rod handled really nice with the near 2 oz's of total weight. The rod tips bent well when loading up at the beginning of the cast and settled quickly once the bait was airborn. Just about right I'd say. With all the current, my 2 oz rigs weren't staying put very well, so I reeled in and upped the weight to about five oz's total.
    Upon casting the heavier weight, the rod loaded considerably more. It bent sharply, but overall it seemed to handle the weight without drastic wobble once the bait was airborn. The rod took a couple of seconds to settle once the bait was in the water, but again, it seemed to handle well. This was the heaviest weight used. The 5 oz's of total weight is really all I expect to ever need from these rods, so I felt no need to push them further.

-----------------------------------The Reels-----------------------------
    Quantum Optix 60 series spinning.

The reels were displayed in the aisle of walmart, not in the case. Seems the Troy, Mo walmart is downsizing it's sporting goods department big time. There were only two reels in the display case, and both of those were on clearance. They were bass reels, so no interest there for me. To the shelf I go..... I chose the Quantum reels from off the shelf for the name first. In case some didn't know, Quantum is the "upper level" of Zebco.All of the other reels on display were either for light duty use, or used too much plastic for my liking. The next criteria for me was line capacity. The Optix XR 60 is rated for 220yds of 14lb test. Pretty decent for a small river rig. It used 4 stainless ball bearings, and has an aluminum spool factory installed. It comes with a spare graphite spool. The spare spools went straight into my tackle bag and reels were tested using only the aluminum spool supplied.

Upon removal from the plastic packaging both reels were intact and appeared flawless. The weight and size of the reels overall seemed pretty hefty. A little more than I wanted really, but for the price, how can I complain?! The finish was well done, all screws were tight, and the reels were very smooth.

I think I use my spinning gear backwards, technically. I switched the cranks from the factory position to the right hand side (operable with right hand when in use). That's just more comfortable for me. Anyway, with the reel handle switched on the first one, I mounted it to the rod and broke out the spool of Big Game. I didn't want to put my customary 100lb Power Pro on these lighter duty rigs, so Big Game was a natural choice if I was using mono. Also, a small spool of Big Game better represents a budget minded combo such as these.

I threaded the line through the guides on the rod and tied a simple slip knot to secure the line to the spool. If these were intended for a trophy fish that MIGHT have a chance of spooling me, I'd have opted for a better knot. But a slip knot should suffice well here. I checked the rotation of the spool in relation to the spool of line. All seemed well, so I began filling the spool. The reel felt really smooth in my hand and I readily filled the spool. That is until I started getting lots of kinks in the line. Hmmm..... Upon inspection, yup, you guessed it, I had the spool of Big Game turned backwards. The end of the spool was facing me, as it should be, but was turned around. So obviously the line was being forced to coil onto the reel opposite of how it came off the factory spool. Novice mistake on my part. i continued to fill the spool anyway. I'll just have to give the line some time to gain the new memory. Once the first reel was done, I turned the spool around the right way and filled the other reel without issue. Next I engaged the anti-reverse on both reels and headed to the water.
    Once on the river bank, I baited up as previously stated above and went for the first cast. The line peeled out well and WoooHoooo I was fishin! Unfotunately, I didn't get to test the reels with any fish. Never got a bite. All the best water was inaccessable since the river was a few feet above normal and the ice I mentioned above was blocking my two favorite eddies.
    Oh well, it was great to finally be fishing again after feeling couped up all winter.
    All in all, it is my belief that this rig will perform admirably in this particular niche for cat men. This is obviously not the rig for that next personal best flattie or blue. Especially if your personal best is over...say... the 40lb mark. I do believe this combo would land such a cat, if the circumstances were all good---no heavy cover; could allow the rod to work the fish; etc.. But, this is not the combo I would choose to regularly pursue the "beasts". I have rigs for that. Further, this is not the rod I would choose for current such as the Missouri River, Ohio River, or the like. It should work well for the majority of the Mississippi River, even though some stretches of the mighty Miss. can be pretty swift as well. The tip just seems a little soft for high current situations in my opinion.
    Overall I give the rod and reel a score of 8 out of 10. The other two points could have made it a perfect score or brought it down. But since I DIDN'T CATCH ANY FISH!!---(lol), I can't rate how well it handled Mr. Whiskers.
    Bottom line: Would I make the same purchase again for small rivers? Absolutely!!!
    Good Fishin,
    Gary

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Gary, it definitely would land a 40 lb flattie in the conditions you describe. The rod is a good one, very tough. The reel has enough drag. I've a friend who's landed 25 and 30 lb flatties and blues on a light weight $12 shakespeare rod (not an ugly stick) and cheapy shimano reels (AX series). Takes some time, but he does it.

5. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I have a quantum optix 40 series spinning, I don't have any problem with spinning as far..

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    well i dont know what you want to hear but ive had my 9'er for a couple seasons and it looks like it will be with me for years to come. i think it would take a pretty big fish to break it, the 20# blue i cought on it last year didnt bend it all the way. the color makes it hard to see at night, the king kats are built the same and their white and pretty easy to see at night. they have a slow action for the price their great.

7. DaveHufford

DaveHufford New Member

State:
    Washington
    I have three Whuppin Sticks from Cabela's, one 10' spinning, on 7 1/2', and one 9' casting, and I would recomend all three. I like the rod actions and the real cork grips. I like the durability of fiberglass rods, too many broken graphites. The Whuppin Sticks are some of the best value rods available.

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have a couple of the whuppin sticks and like them enough to send one to a member as a surprise. While I do not have the big and heavy version I do like the action on mine and would not hesitate to fish waters with fish up to about 15-20 pounds. I did buy mine for loaner rods but have been known to use them myself. I would not go monster hunting with one though. Like I said I have the MH 7 footers and they are plenty enough rod for up to 15-20 pounds IMO.

9. Gary S.

Gary S. New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks to all of you for your responses! It's been said a hundred times, but the BOC is the best knowlege base on the web! Long live the BOC!