Whuppin Stick

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by tricitycatter, Dec 28, 2009.

1. tricitycatter

tricitycatter Member

State:
    Washington
    I am on a limited budget since I have been on L & I since Aug of 08, and have started to upgrade my gear from the Walmart specials I have been using. I just got 2 - 9' Medium Heavy Whuppin Sticks from the Cabella's, put Okuma Avenger 55 a's on both (got a great del on them, $35 each) & had em strung with 50 lb Power Pro. I prefer spinning reels, since I can't figure out how not to make a mess of baitcasters every time. Last year I caught most of my cats on my 6' ugly sticks & 12 lb mono, fishing an area where the cats come to spawn, on a lighted bobber set up using cut Pikeminnow. So far the biggest channel cat I have caught from the bank was 26 lbs, but I have heard where I can get some 30 lbers in the spring. My plan is to fishing more often below or behind the local dams on the Columbia & Snake rivers than I have been doing. I hope these set ups will be able to handle 4-8 oz of weight & 30-40 lb fish.

2. wabah58

wabah58 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I just picked up one of those poles from Cabelas too. I put a Abu 6500 with braid on it. The pole was on Clearance here for $25. The reason I like it is the metal eyes on it, and the braid won't rub through those suckers. I got the MH one. Haven't used it yet though. :embarassed:

3. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

My wife got about 6-7 of the Whuppin stiks spinning rods she uses for river fishing.No trouble out of any of them after 5+ years.She has one of the 9,s in MH,it handles 4-5 ozs well.I wouldn,t want to go much heavier than that though.:wink:

4. tricitycatter

tricitycatter Member

State:
    Washington
    Thanx guys, I just went out tonight just to get them wet, and man can I get out there a ways, I put 6 oz on just to see how it would do & it was a bit too much. I realy don't think I'll need more than 4-5oz of weight unless I fish below McNary or Ice Harbor dams. I am looking forward to using them in a few months when the cats start moving up on a huge flat where the Walla Walla river meets the Columbia. I hear they were pulling 30 lb channel cats out of there last spring, but you got to get way out if you don't have a boat.

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    yep what he said 4-5oz feels pretty good 6 starts to bow it good and 8 is more of a toss than a cast. but ive cought fish in the 30+ lb range without failure. 9'btw

6. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

They make a 7ft2" Wstik in Heavy that will handle the 6-8ozers pretty good.I like the whuppin stiks for her because she,s always closing the van door on em,just take the pieces back to cabelas,no questions asked!:wink: