Who's your daddy now MR. Whiskers!!!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by jedimanhunter, Jul 11, 2008.

1. jedimanhunter

jedimanhunter New Member

State:
    Texas
    WelL I quickly discovered that the catfish in my pool are totally in tune with their environment. I have been feeding my catfish floating fish food. It was cool to watch the water boil and see them grow. I set that up so when my family, or guests and their kids wanted to fish they could have some fun and have a quick bite with out alot of hassle.

Well guess what. Those jokers figure you out it seems. Catch a fish and the whole place gets lock jaw. It is like we were snitched off. I swear I think I heard them laughing at us while we were trying to show what fine catfishermen we are. The gig is up quick.

I found that you do not have to be smarter than a 5th grader but you do have to outsmart the fish. I quit the floating fish deal and I now have a place to utilize every piece of bait I dont use. I began chunking my unused shad in there. The feeding frenzy is still there and the big bass have joined in so now we can watch them too. Those bass are sitting there right now waiting on something to enter their zone.

Now if I want to cat my catfish I do not have to change a thing, Get some shad or worms and its on. If yu have experienced this in your pool this might work for you too.

By the way if your shad is still cold the bass will spit it out. Interesting to watch, as lang as its normal temp the catfish have to hussle to beat the bass.

2. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    any pics of this pool?? bet that is awesome to watch in your own yard

3. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yeah, I have noticed that catfish are harder to catch when they are fed like that. Last time I fished a pond that the cats where fed, we were catching some fish, then a guy from down the road came over, and threw in a couple handfuls of food (to be helpful lol), and it was all over. Tried everything to catch some more, but packed up and went home in the end.

Yeah, what kind of pool are we talking about? Can they see you? That could be another big problem.

4. jedimanhunter

jedimanhunter New Member

State:
    Texas
    have not bothered making any feeding pics yet, video would be better though. Its only about 1/2 acre, stained water. The cats are already used to being watched on top of water so i figured the bank movement would not bother them. I almost had what looked like about a 3lb bass take a shad frim my fingers as i dangled it just under water. That bass would roll his eyes up at it just hovering. He would not take it. As soon as I released it he sucked it up.

All i did was change the menu so i could catch them when we wanted to go fishing. Nothing more discouraging than knowing you have gobbs of 2+ lb cats in your pool and you cant buy a bite but come back in an hour, chunk some feed and there they are in a frenzy. Mission acomplished.

5. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have fished a few ponds that have been stocked with catfish. I think the key is to change their diet.

I have caught the heck out of them, one time out on a certain bait, then they would not hit it the next day, had to change up.

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like you got quite the fishing hole.....................where is this at

7. jedimanhunter

jedimanhunter New Member

State:
    Texas
    On my placedown here in Lone Oak Texas, bout 50 miles east of Dallas. The spot itself is nothing to brag about its just a pool. Its getting better now the fish bite. I think I need to up the baitfish somehow. I think the bass are hungry which is why they are so agressive. I put several 5-6 inch brim in there hoping to get some breeders in there. A couple were immediately snatched. They didn't have a chance to decide what direction to go.

8. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Is your pool stockeith channel's or blue's?

9. jedimanhunter

jedimanhunter New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have both in there actually however Afterthe fact I learned that I should have kept the blues out of there but i liked them. I need to start culling the blues out of there and some of the larger bass i guess. I learned that I should have started with a 5-1 perdater prey ratio. I bought 50 lbs of flathead minnows they were everywhere but it was not long until they all disappeared. The fish should have been growing together but trying to get a jump on good fishing i bypassed that part and put 2-4 lb fish in there. I cant get bait established so something has to go.

By count I put about 50-catfish, 20-bass, 50 lbs minnows, 6 crappie and 50 bluegill. I couldnt do much about it when the cats were trained on floating food and i could not buy a bite. getting them converted to shad i can catch them now. Im just not sure what to do now.

I want a good ballance of baitfish so i dont have to feed. I have started putting live shad in there too. Its a cluster. Probably best to weed all i can out get bait started and add back to it with smaller fish and wait them out.

I read about too many brim they get too big and they take over. Not enough and they cant get established cause they get eaten too fast. Thats where im at. I just want to be able to go out, wet a hook catch some fish, have a good time with the family. Man a good pool is a delicate environment.