who's winter flathead catfishing in so cal?

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA RIVERS TALK' started by desertcatrat, Dec 15, 2009.

1. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    th ecat rat has been down to alamo country twice in a ,onth with no flats but a few runs aand a few ideas for winter flattin
    they can be caught,is any one doin it?
    i know i am not the only one
    goin out to palo verde south first week of januar w3ith some prospective winter spots
    interested in anyone who has winter flat info on az and lower co river spots
    i have had more action on cut baits than gills or tilapia
    fresh cut seems to trigger most action in some of the deeper structured holes
    who's out there?
    cat rat:cool2:

2. island joe

island joe New Member

State:
    Westchester, CA
    I've been grounded since my long range trip in november. I gonna try after xmas unless duck hunting captivates me.

3. SyKo450

SyKo450 New Member

State:
    Coachella, Cali
    Haven't been out since the 14th of November, way too cold for me to be staying out at night

4. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Thinking of coming thru the area soon... got some big gold fish, and some ole night crawlers to use... going to Yuma....

5. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    when ray? busy through the holidays with company, but pretty much open after the 3rd of jan.
    gary

6. gilmafam

State:
    California
    To late by then Gary.... waiting on a friend coming back from his yearly travels to other home in Texas.... Maybe I'll just hit Squaw with Sharlene.. She has been sick .... but about to get out of town as well..

What the weather been like?

7. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    40's at night. anywhere from 60 to lower 70's during day and usually a slight breeze.
    company starts flying in monday, so cleaning house now. gonna be a real busy week next week or so for me.
    gary

8. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    I wish I lived closer to ya bro. Cold don't bother me much. Good luck on your winter adventures. I'm going out this weekend for stripers. there was a 41lber caught at Mendota Slough about a month ago and they have been running through there a lot chasing shad.

9. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Is it true that there is a reward for cormorants shot dead in the slough?....(Those bait eating and fin fish eating killing machines)

10. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Not sure on that, but we can put out our own reward....year's supply of stinkbait maybe?:smile2:

11. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    well boys,the cat rat and catratmama are hittin it xmas weekend for some flats at the alamo
    well see what happen ,did some research on wintre flats and have a good idea on things
    we'll see
    happy xmas all and good fishin:cool2:

12. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    dcr is headin out to alamo on saturday to see if i cant drum up a flattie or two
    i have a few spots i looked at i think may be wintering holes but we will see
    hope all have a nice safe xmas and happy new year
    cat rat n cat rat mama:cool2:

13. monstercatcher

monstercatcher New Member

State:
    california
    Hey bro merry xmas to u and a safe one too save some for us and look forward meeting u soon too

14. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    dcr and cat rat mama,(jeanette) are headin out right now to see if the dime holds a flathead for us
    the dime bein 2010, loaded up and on the road at 11 am,make bait at a few spots ande head down to alamo fr the night ,warm weather and new moon looks good for fish activitiy
    the water level was down about a foot in the mo,first time i ever saw that
    well ,the truck is runnin and im gettin in
    will be foto'n the trip and i will need help figurin how to [post the flics
    still haven't been able to get my pics from last trip up
    happy new year all from dcr and crm, lets get on the bourds here in the dime

15. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Good luck Brian. Go get em. I am kicking it in the big city for a little while and will be back on the cat hunt in 3weeks or next month. Weekends is booked with the honnies for a little bit plus I want to see that new Tyler Perry show. Look forward to your results.

B

16. team760

team760 New Member

State:
    california
    sorry missed you last time....works been crazyyyyy...howd you do on the winter flatties.....been thinking about hitting them myself...T.

17. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Good Luck T when you hit em up. I am getting early flathead fever now the Dime is going to be a good season.

B

18. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    yea bros, got a nine lber on live tilapia and 3 runs,2 on live ,one on fresh cut
    not as cold as last trip when i got two 6's
    have yet to place with a bigger fish but am still on the hunt
    fished reel tite to snags,scary tite
    donated a bit of tackle but that goes with the territory
    goin out again this weekend,thinkin the verde this trip or main channel south of blythe
    have a few goodies in the works down that way
    so far bait has been there,hope it stays that way
    any body else out flat cattin?
    lets hear it
    happy new year to all
    ps still dont know how to post flics
    have a few pics of last two trips so any help is appreciated
    cat rat out

19. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    B I tried one time shortly to post pics but gave up as I did not have much time. If no one gives you an insight pm Catfish Commando and he will do you right or an moderator. Photobucket may also work as well I did not try that but it normally works on vbulletin forums.

If you are trying to do the vids call me up and I will try to walk you thru it. Basic windows programs like movie maker will get you going.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  20. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    We all seen the vids of winter flatheads before, however this one is a little different with the question of silt on the flatheads. Is it because they been sitting for a long time in one spot? Or is it because they recently been in movement kicking up some bottom to get into position. Here is a video I came across on You tube that answers the question. What will really be a great expedition is if we were to do a similar video on the Colorado which sounds like a plan one day for me just to get it on film. HMMMM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn7JHBQqWRA