Who's smarter? - Catfish fisherman or Bass fisherman?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by photocat, Apr 18, 2006.

1. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Ba$$ anglers:
    $20,000 boat or more
    up to $300/rod
    up to $500/reel
    $5-20/lure
    way to many tackle boxes to organize their gear...
    5 lb fish uncommon usually 1-3 lbs
    ...................................hmmm

Catfish anglers:
    under $2,000 boat (some more but most have been fixeruppers that have been worked on) or $0 shore boat....
    $50 rod and reel combos (again some spend alittle more)
    $5 pack of hooks
    $3 Bag of weights
    $0 forked stick
    $2 tub of chicken liver...
    40 lb fish uncommon, 5-20lb fairly common

Hmmmm..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek:h: :eek:h: :feel_good: :still_dreaming: :0a28:

2. tehrealmccoy

tehrealmccoy New Member

State:
    Streator, Illin
    You're either gonna spend hundreds losing lures to snags fishing for bass, or you can fish for anything that bites which costs about the same as catfishing.

I'll take catfishing anyday, I just love the nature of those fish, although you can't beat having one pole on the bottom with worm, one pole on the bottom with stinky stuff, and a little pole with a bobber for when you get bored. :D

3. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    OK! The question of cost is one that is of Great Importance to us all. I Love to FISH and that is any type of fishing. The most cost efective means to do so is also a goal. I will go with what I have at that moment and if it is determined that I need something else while out, I will work toward getting this at a later time. It is not necessary to have the BIG in everything that you fish with. It is necessary to have the Right Tools for the JOB!!! JMHO!!!!!!!!

HOPPY4

4. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    How about we buy a $40 spinning rod outfit, fish for Bass, then use the Bass for Catfish bait at night! :smile:

5. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Oh this is go'na be a good one! I think I'll sit back and watch for now. LOL

6. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    I am with RIP on this one...LOL

7. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I'll just answer by asking another question....If you catch a 30 lb. catfish and a 30 lbs bass, which is worth more?

8. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Before we go and crucify all the b**s anglers out there let us first remember that they are on our side. They to want conservation for fisheries, they to contribute to organizations dedicated to our sport, fishing. Not long ago there was a PETA thread showing a billboard of a hook in a dogs mouth claiming that fishing is cruel like that. I'm sure a b**s fisherman would be equally upset at the billboard. So next time your out fishing, make a freind with a b**s angler because we share the same interests.

9. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    In this respect I would have to agree with copycat, but do agree that some of this stuff can get really expensive and I'm sure that there are catmen out there that spend just as much. But I am truly sorry if I hurt there feelings when I use their prize for bait.

10. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I watched a fishing show Saturday and they kept count of the number of casts the bass fisherman made in a day. I always thought 200-300 casts. Well, this guy was over 1200, and he was not buzzing the water like Kevin Van Dam!!

He ended up with six bass in the 3-4 pound range.

If I ened up with six channel cats after 1200 casts and they only weighed 3-4 pounds I would be PISSED!!!

11. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Thank God for each and every Bass fisherman.They could ALL be fishing for Cats.peewee-williams

12. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    hello and welcom to all the new members. One thought keeps occuring to me WE ALL FISH FOR THE CHALLENGE OF THE CHASE!!! When Iam catfishing that is my main goal. Biggest, most, type or what ever learn all you can from whoever you can. Our biggest opponets are the fish and PETA. Not other fisher men. I will get off this soapbox now good luck to all.

13. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I guess the people that are into S & M need hobbies that will keep that arm in shape.I have a tackle box full of Bowfin baits.Unfortunately,they attract Bass.peewee-williams

14. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    now ive read it all that is the most ludicris opening to a thread i have seen yet. why cant people who are 100% cat seem to get along or like people who fish for bass? So what if a bass fisherman has a expensive boat and lots of tackle whats it to you? maybe they can afford it so what thats like saying a person who makes a little money is not allowed to spend it on what they want be it a nice boat or a nice house or car sounds more like jealousy to me. i also know some 100% cat guys that have more tied up in thier boats then the average bass guy so what who cares? I sure dont. I also dont care who fishes for what we ALL are doing the same thing fishing! be it bass be it cats be it trout etc. I think I have to agree with my wife some people need to get overthemselves they are no better then anyone else aint no cat fisherman nor cat fisherman better then each other plain and simple. we all do the same thing FISH. this constant trying to start a flame war between the two just gives more fuel to antifishing idiots. I seen it on many different fishing forums and they turn into nothing more then flame wars and thats why these places lose people. This is why I came to the BOC was there wasnt that kind of crap going on sure there was some good old fashioined ribbing going on but I have noticed a lot of just agitating and trying to get flame wars started here.

15. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Personally, I believe that as the sport of catfishing evolves, and become more widely accepted, as more and more tournaments start having bigger, and bigger prizes, you will begin to see catfishing costing more and more.

Until Bass tournaments became publicized and there started to be tournaments with more than regular people make a year in prizes, prices for bass fishing equipment was cheaper. Its the law of supply and demand.

Think about it. If catfishing tournaments start being televised, and you saw tournaments with $200,000 prizes, then you would see people flocking to catfishing. If the person who wins that $200,000 prize is using Billy Bob's Stink bait to catch the "trophy" winning fish, then everyone is gonna want to try Billy Bob's Stink Bait. Thus, Billy Bob, and the stores that sell his stink bait, raise the price because there is a demand for his product.

16. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    LOL! Thats pretty good and I cant wait to see some of the responses for this thread! Although in the tourneys which is worth more.....catfish (couple grand, maybe)....bass (ten to hundreds of thousands)....dang catfishing needs more popularity and big money...lol

17. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma

Just remember, when that happens, up goes the cost of catfishing!

18. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I love bassers, they build a huge rep for lakes and noone fishes the cats as hard. Besides both are predators and adding things for bass makes the catting all the better.

I say we both love the sport. Its like Nascar and Formula one. They both drive in circles, but are still fun to do.

19. The Undertaker

The Undertaker New Member

State:
    Miami Oklahoma
    Well hopefully this does not bring too much fire on me but............... I do love to catfish dont get me wrong. There is nothing better that sitting on the bank or boat and shooting the breeze with a pard and watching your pole waiting for that huge blue to bite.But you catch some shad and throw one out, maybe a head,maybe the guts but still shad. You can change it up a bit and throw some stinky bait out and see what happens also. When cat fishing you can use as many poles as you can watch, all of which will have a different bait, odds are in your favor if one swims by he should be interested in one of your baits.
    Now I am a avid bass fisherman too. I do this with one pole in my hand only. I use only artifical baits so you have to keep them moving and try to make them resemble a live item that a bass may want to eat. If they are eating a Senko then you have to decide what color, size and how do they want it presented.Same with a spinner bait, jig, buzzbait or whatever else you have in your tackle box you choose to try. You have to be able to think on your feet and be able to change up baits,presentation of the bait and many other factors at any time.
    Which one cost more, I dont know I think it depends of what you want to spend. I have seen some pretty expensive outfits that are use solely for catfish. I have myself gotten caught up in the money game for my gear that I use for both catfish and bass.
    Which one is smarter:hmmmmmmmmmm all of us as fisherman have been outsmarted by a fish with the brain the size of a peanut.Both types of fisherman have spend days in the sun,rain and yes even snow to catch a fish be it a bass or catfish. You dont catch a fish blame it on the weather or the barometer or what you wear that day. Loose a fish at the boat or bank and both get upset. Either way both have be beaten by a fish.
    My opinion to each his own but we are all fisherman.
    Again just my opinion.
    steve

20. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm enjoying the reading on this one!