Who's seen a lake or river monster?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by BenNewt, Sep 24, 2009.

1. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Up here in MN, there's supposedly a Loch Ness style monster living in a widening of the Mississippi called Lake Pepin. People have claimed to see a big water serpent up in Lake Superior too, and of course there's Lake Champlain.

So who has seen one of these? I want to know the story......

2. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    Do alligators count? That's the only "monsters" I've seen, and the only ones I really care to see.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009

3. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I've just seen videos of it on Youtube, just type in Lochness Monster.. one clip shows this family at the lake and then champ comes up out of the water about 30' out. Real scary lookin. Hope this helps.:wink:

4. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Yep I've seen lots of videos on You Tube. I've talked to a few people around here who claim they've seen a monster in a lake not too far from my house--Lake Minnetonka. It's about 14,000 acres and has water over a 100' deep. Also, a few other people have claimed to see a giant lake sturgeon swimming around in that lake--which I believe because not too long ago a sturgeon of over 100lbs washed up dead from a lake nearby. So I think what people are seeing in Minnetonka is probably a sturgeon. The thing that people claim to see in Pepin is decribed as being lizard or snake like and huge.....

5. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
  6. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I saw a river monster! My buddy and I were in a canoe on the Upper James River when we saw a huge creature on the left bank. It was a female, and the mammary glands were clearly visible even from the far side of the river. It must have weighed 300#. We paddled over to fish another hole and get a closer look. Just as we approached, her mate appeared and hollered, "Get back in the truck.", and they disappeared into the brush between the river and the road! :roll_eyes:

7. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Didn't know bigfoot had a truck

8. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    Fishwestpoint has a thread with a video showing a "Thang" eatin a duck..:roll_eyes:

9. Critter Getter

Critter Getter New Member

State:
    Elnora, Indiana
    We were bass fishing one night in a stripper pit in the coal mines when we saw a shark swimming at a fast rate of speed right at us. It was leaving a huge wake with its giant dorsal fin. I have seen a lot of things here in S. Indiana but sharks are not real high on that list. It kept coming closer and closer and just before it swam into the boat it veered off to the right. That was one of the biggest carp I have ever seen in my life :eek:oooh: My buddy gave up drinking for a few weeks after that :roll_eyes:

10. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    That’s what happens when people buy critters from the pet store, get tired of them, flash em down the toilet or let em go in the woods.
    They grow up. LOL

11. moondog58

moondog58 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Ok, river monster or not, I don't know. But here is the story:

I was fishing in the Monongahela river just south of Morgantown WV, in what is known as the Morgantown pool, above, or up stream of the Morgantown lock and dam. I was above Uffington and along a really deserted area of river.

I was drift fishing the deep pool along the outside turn of the river when with some luck at first. Then thing slowed down to a crawl, with almost no bites and no fish, for maybe, 15 or 20 minutes. I was coming out of the turn, and I was thinking of moving when a flock of Canadian geese landed along the river on the other side just behind me.

I was watching them, when, out of no where, something came up out of the water and just grabbed a full size goose in it mouth and went under. Bamb, just like that. I still don't know what it was, but it was big enough to take a full size Canadian goose with no problem. The geese all started squalking, and took off. And I just sat there looking a the river for a couple of minutes.

I have never seen or caught anything like that, but I have gone back and fished that spot many more times.

12. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    That, my friend, sounds like some sort of aquatic monster. I've heard of muskies taking small ducks down, but I don't know what would take down a Canadian goose. Whatever it was, I wish there were more of them, 'cause I hate those winged rats....:wink:

13. Critter Getter

Critter Getter New Member

State:
    Elnora, Indiana
    The last time we went to Canada fishing we got to see a musky slam a sea gull. Heard him hit it the first time and turned around to see the sea gull swimming in circles with one wing then BAM. Took the rest of him. It would take one seriously large musky to take on a goose with one hit but it wouldn't surprise me if it has happened.

14. Catfish_Scooter

State:
    Tennessee
    Reading all those comments just made several chills shoot up my spine. :smile2: I wouldnt know what to think if I ever saw that somewhere around here.:eek:oooh:

15. Catfish_Scooter

State:
    Tennessee
    & I honestly do believe that when dinosaurs became a thing of the past.. a few still survived by fat chance. They live in that water to hide. Just my personal view. Could be wrong..

16. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I saw a pond monster in Patten pond in Maine. Its a giant eel that is as big around as a softball, never did see its full length but easily over 10 feet. It was floating on the top of the water like a snake. I touched it with a oar and it hiss at me slapped the water and swan under water. I dont like swimming in there to this day. Divers say they have seen things in there and will never dive there again.:big_smile: Good luck on the locness hunt

17. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Before or after a 12 pack? Before none, after, I would say 3 or 4... one had glowing eyes, and was about 13 feet long, and big teeth...