Who's got the highest tetosterone level or no brains.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by postbeetle, Nov 30, 2007.

1. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Lat 42.22N-Long. 90.71 W. Normal day here in Iowa, God's country, fly over heaven. Just did some chores, 20 degrees outside, 10 mile an hour wind from the North, nice sunny day.

1st season shotgun here tomorrow morning. Found my gun, found my shells, found my deer tags, laid out my clothes. Cleaned my eyeglasses. Was going by myself this year, but have decided I need some partners, as indicated in my title.

Probably those young ex-marines and active duty marines on this forum would be the ticket. Will probably need a Corpsman who specializes in hypothermia, Boots we need ya. You see fellas the opening day forecast is thus:

Snow before 9 am, nice background sighting and tracking. Good so far. After 9 am freezing rain mixed with snow and sleet till noon. Not good but survivable.
    After noon 25 mph winds with gusts of 47 mph, with continued same precipitation. Chances 100% I can see the trees falling over now. Not good. Here's where we might need that corpsman.
    Total before dark of 3" of snow and a half inch of ice.
    Freezing rain, sleet snow all night with continued winds. Almost the same for Sunday.

So fellas check your blood levels, I'll show you how to be a real hunter. It is either that or go fishing. You guys come and you can decide. John.

2. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I was all ready to stand up proud and yell "ME" when I read the title of the post John.....That is until I found out it meant going to Iowa. :crazy:

Perhaps if I wasn't going to be pushing along my 8 hp snowblower down the what seems like a mile long driveway when its snowing to clear the way for the 8" I may get, I would be there.

Too bad all the wind is coming with it, I always love snow for tracking.

Good luck John.

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I saw the light some years back.
    I finally realized one morning after knocking the ice off my tree steps and climbing into a treestand with temperature down around 16 degrees just how stupid I was.

I had to be stupid to get out of that warm bed that contained a woman.

All them young bucks can run around the woods playing cowboy and indians with the local deer herd.
    My teestand is pretty much the prone position on the living room floor by the heat vent with the french doors open for the shot or sitting in a pickup with heat on and some sensible talk radio going. Pull that side mirror in just a tad for a rifle rest. Electric windows work better then then manual.

Beetle have fun.
    They dont make enough peach brandy to hunt in those conditions.
    The worst part is, the fun is all over once you pull the trigger and the work commences.

4. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    John,

Don't do it, don't be a fool. Them deer will be there next year. They always are.
    20 deg. don't sound to bad, right now we got 5 deg. Brrrr.
    I hate winter more every year. Now if that damn snow just misses us I will be alot happier.

5. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    There comes a time for an ol fart to "stand down", & I think this is a classic case.....
    :smile2:

6. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    lol, when i was in washington state, i would wade fish for salmon. When the chum really started running was when it got really cold. It would be drizzling rain, it would freeze to your raingear. About every third cast you would have to spray WD40 or some silicone spray on your eyelets to keep the ice out. I tried for a couple days without the WD and they eyes would freeze completly.
    My buddy always said that we had to be worse than crack addicts to be out in that kind of weather, wading in 34deg water.

7. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i'm with you John. let me get out my sweatshirt and some long pants and i will be there in a hot minute. oh and by the way, i have never really been one to recieve compliments on my superior brain power or knowledge. i guess thats what happens to a guy that does a cannonball off of the roof of a house while the cops are standing beside the pool telling the homeowner to keep it down. i didnt know they were down there. i couldnt see them , i was on the roof. :big_smile:

8. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    MR POSTBEETLE FULL OF TESTOSTERONE AND NO BRAIANS:wink:

9. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    been there down that.
    I'm with Mark on the Truck stand with heat. :big_smile:

I remember your story bout the attack on that fish. everybody talks about lead weights , 3 way swivels , worms, chum etc. and you talk about what bullet to use and how many shots when fishing. LOL. :tounge_out:
    I like how you use same equipment year round for fishing and hunting.

For get deer hunting in stand. Try fishing with shot gun from truck stand. :smile2:

10. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    John, Looks to me like a morning hunt, maybe til noon. I wouldn't want to be out there when that wind picked up and the freezing rain is no picnic. I'm not one to let an opening day escape unhunted, but any hunt that ends with me coming home safe is at least partially successful.

11. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Request thirty years to late! lol
    Back in the day I would have hitch to your house, full of energy and excitement along with a foolhardy attitude. My worst cold hunt was with a recurve, white sweat shirt and painters paints stretched over my carharts. Stood in the snow by a hickory tree for three hours at 7 degrees. Yes I did stick one, he never saw it coming because I was way past shivering and never moved a muscle. Until I saw him and the adrenalin kicked in like antifreeze. lol :crazy::smile2: If you go you better tie some fishing line to a fence post. I dont think bread crumbs would be a good choice. lol We will all be waiting to see your post that you made it back!:wink:

12. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Tsk, tsk, tsk...:big_smile:

13. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    There ain't that much testosterone in the world! With weather like that, I'd be down at the local watering hole with my hands wrapped around a Hot Buttered Rum, telling stories of hunts from yesteryear. As for the fishing, ice is natures way of saying, FISHING SEASON IS CLOSED!

14. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I'd feel for ya but I can't reach ya. LOL! But then again ya only go around once. LOL!

15. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    I think he has a strong case of buck fever

buck fever (BUK fee.vur) n. A phenomenon that causes heart attacks in out-of-shape hunters who get overly excited from sighting or shooting deer, or overexert themselves dragging a killed deer out of the woods.

Cure for it lock all doors,hide all ammo,
    Anyone else have some cures?

16. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    He has a strong case of something? probably buck fever too:wink: Gotta love the man but he just taint right:big_smile_2:

17. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    John,
    I know all about the cold brother! I was born and raised in Cleveland so I know all about that snow and ice "stuff":crazy:. I have never been hunting a day in my life though! Always wanted to though, especially for hog! If I were there, I guess I would be more on testosterone side:wink:. Good luck and be safe if ya decide to go.

18. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Here I sit shaking my head. Men.. can't shoot em, can't live without em.

I'll be waiting down here in Carolina, for you to come back and tell us how many fingers you got left. Tell Nancy I'll be glad to send her a bag of grits to cook for ya.
    Warm grits.... ah yes, good to eat or stick your frostbit fingers in.

19. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    :eek:oooh::big_smile_2::big_smile_2::big_smile_2: That's just mean! LMAO!

20. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Aww Cmon' guys...EVERYBODY should take the time to get out in the woods when its cold.

I fish mostly...and have fished when the ice is forming in my rod guides...or an early early spring day when the Kansas plains wind bites through your parka...your waders spring a leak while whitebass fishing in 48 degree water...but you don't quit because the fishing is so good.

Not to mention the multitudes of god awful miserable duck hunting trips...hours upon hours of fruitless, and sometimes fruitful bowhunting for whitetail...rabbit hunting in a snow covered draw or briarpatch...chasing snow geese around a mile long winter wheat field on foot in a -30 windchill.

Hiking across a 1/4 mile of knee deep black slimy river mud...while carrying an old heavy shotgun, 25-50 rounds of shells, several layers of clothes, a BIG bag of duck decoys, a half dozen dead mallards or geese...sweating profusely in the 30 degree temps...every single step nearly pulling off your boots.

Ya...good times! I remember some of those glorious hunting trips of older and better days...back when I was tough and impervious to the elements.

Ahhh yes...I remember those days with great fondness...

That being said...there's NO way I'd try that now...Lmao!!

This is exactly why I love to fish...MOST times the weather is at least more tolerable.

You'd have never caught me saying that even as little as 10 years ago...nothing was out of bounds, and I was still a hunting fool.

I still deer hunt every year tho...but rifle instead of bow. You know...time constraints...work...deadlines...commitments. Yada yada yada

I'm not sure what's happening here...every year that goes by seems to make my bones ache just a little more...heavy physical activity makes me more tired...and sooner even.

Hangovers DEFINATELY hurt more than they used to.

Ahhh...it's probably nothing...just my imagination. I can still keep up with those young bucks. :wink: