whos got opinions on catfish bait?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by mactheaxe, Sep 5, 2009.

1. mactheaxe

mactheaxe New Member

State:
    cartersville, georgia
    Ok, so i was wonderin, if you have five similar lakes, one in each state and they had similar baitfish and food. say bluegill, shad, and skipjack. three main baits. but having slightly different climates and conditions, would it matter your bait of choice? what works in one lake, would it work in another? maybe the trick in lake number one is cut bluegill while lake number four is skipjack. or does it matter? i know what im thinkin, just cant narrow it down to a question(just woke up). but hopefully yall get it.

2. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    in that case i would take 3 rods and try each of those baits. jmho i think they may have a different taste on different days cause on my own home lake one day they may take cut catfish then the other day they may take cut bluegil
    just my .02 :wink:

3. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    The first question I would ask would be what is the predominate bait species in the lake per acre. If shad then I would definitly try them. If another lake the predominate species was Bluegills then they would be at the top of my choices. My second question would be what is the average size of cat per different species. Say Blues average 5 to 15# with fish up to 50# common. I would then experiment with several different offerings of that bait. One rod with live, one with cut or chunk, and one with filets and see what works. Be prepared to try another bait if they arn't wanting what you are offering. Good luck and Good fishing

4. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Fresh cut or live from the body of water you are fishing is ALWAYS good bait. It doesn't matter where or when you are fishing, the baits will always produce.

5. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    everyone I know of has the skipjack as number one on the list if they are present except for a few who prefer using bullheads.I guess its just what you have confidence in or like me whatever I can find the fastest.

6. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    I wud try all the bait you can get, use as many rods that you can get in the boat just remember witch one's have what bait on them if you catch 5 fish useing bream and nothing off the shad most of my rods will have bream on them.

7. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    What ever they are used to should be good, fresh live or cut, but I think sometimes they go for something odd, they ain't used to.

8. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I find what works on one body of water cats wont touch on another.or what they hit on one day they wont hit on the next.where ever you go bring a variety of bait so you can find something there in the mood for.I think alot of fisherman limit themselves and miss out on some good fishing cause they wont use but one kind of bait.gotta be flexible:wink:.

9. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Whatever bait is native to the water your fishing..I always catch my bait in the same waters throwing a cast net or tossin a jig..If I get shad,minnows, shiners, bream ,skipjack I'll use em all..Cut up or live..Variety is always good..

10. I agree with the posts on here, {Bait that is indigineous to the area you are fishing}.

sTRICTLY Catfish

11. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    5 different states is quite a broad range. :confused2:
    Here in the KC area, similar waters produce the same bite (preference of bait) assuming similar water levels and temperatures.
    The "hot" bait in Ohio, Texas, South Carolina doesn't concern me. Those waters are different from where I'm fishing.
    I personally do not like to catch bait where I catfish. Our baitfish are bluegill, sunfish, and shad.
    There are times when only one of the three choices produces, sometimes I carry all if available. Most of the time I have bluegill/sunfish. Usually the fish will be consistently interested in one of these choices for several weeks.

12. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Back home in Louisiana we usually caught cats by accident fishing for redfish and speckletrout..We'd catch cats on shrimp,cracked crab and cocahoe minnows cause thats usually what we use for reds and specks..Sometimes cut mullet would catch em too..When we ran jugs and trotlines we used cut bream..Of course up here in Tennessee it is totally different cause they don't have any of those baits except for bream..

13. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Fresh cut or live from the body of water you are fishing is good bait.