Whos Gonna Fill their Shoes?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Catcaller, Dec 31, 2007.

Are the newer singers of Country music capable of Filling the shoes of the Legends?

1. Yes...there's some good stuff out there.

2. No...It can never be done.

3. Maybe...They're growing on Me.

4. I don't listen to Country music...and don't care.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    You know this old world is full of singers.

But just a few are chosen,

To tear your heart out when they sing.

Imagine life without them,

All your radio heros,

Like the outlaw that walks through Jesse's dreams.

No...there won't be another,

Red headed stranger.

A Man in Black, and Folsom Prison Blues.

The Okie from Muskogee,

Or Hello Darlin'.

Lord I wonder whos gonna fill their shoes?

Who's gonna stand that tall?

who's gonna play the Opry?

And the Wabash Cannonball?

Who's gonna give their heart and soul...

To get to you and me?

God bless the boys from Memphis...

Blue Suede shoes, and Elvis.

Much too soon he left this world in tears.

They tore up the 50's...

old Jerry Lee, and Charlie.

And old Go Cat Go still echos through the years.

You know the heart of country music...

Still beats in Luke the Drifter.

You can tell when he sings I saw the Light.

Old Marty, Hank, and Lefty.

Why I can feel them right here with me...

On this Silver Eagle...Rolling through the night.

http://www.valentynelang.com/WhosGonnaFillTheirShoes.htm

As the years go by...the faces change of the gifted men and women that sing our songs, and fill our hearts with the light that they put into our lives.

I have heard people say..."aw...what's the big deal?? It's just music."

Music is so much more than melodic sounds.

A properly utilized lyric can make you feel like the singer is talking directly to you in a sense.

It can bring you up...or let you down. It can take you to a happier time or place...or it can drag you back into hell.

I sometimes hear on the local classic radio station we have here old Bob Wills tunes.

They make me stop what I'm doing...and fade back to a day of my childhood...and there I am...6 years old sitting crosslegged in front of our console Lp/8 track stereo in my grandpas living room...listening to "Big Balls in Cowtown...we'll all go round...Big Balls in cowtown...we'll all go down..."..."Faded Love"...or "San Antonio Rose".

And that old so familiar...."Ahhhhh Ha!" Bob would let out as he said...."Take it away Leon..."

Or...I'll hear the song on the radio from the day that my father died...and perhaps partly unwilling to go there...I do it anyway. Lost in that moment.

Even the cheesy eighties pop music that we all listened to takes me back to 14 or 15 years old... sitting on the tailgate by the river after dark with old friends...just kicking it while we drank an illicit 12 pack...or a bottle of mash whiskey or homeade italian wine someone swiped from their dads liquor cabinet.

Music has that power over you if you succumb and allow yourself to feel it inside your soul.

Who among the new singers will take the place of our old legends and heros we listened to as we were growing up?

A better question...Is that possible??

2. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    As much as I like Garth, and Carrie, and Shania, and Faith, and George Strait, and many other "New" ones, there's no way to put them in the same category as the "old" ones I grew up with, some of whom you named, some not.
    It was a different kind of music, written from a different kind of pain, and lived through different eyes.
    "AAhhhhh, Take it Away, Leon!!"

3. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    You know i Havent seen that old George Jones video in years.But used to really like it.

4. part time catman

part time catman New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    TOBY KIETH ,DIRKS BENTLEY,TRACE ADKINS,THERES A FEW

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with Mike on this one. The country of yesterday and the country today can not be placed in the same catergory. The old had feeling and purpose. And came from the heart.:big_smile:

6. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Todays country music for the most part comes from the love of the almighty dollar. That is why you see alot of new ones out there that come in ...make their money and.... are never seen again. It is sad that the originals are all but gone now and no one will "EVER" be able to replace them.

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    A murder's been commited on music row comes to mind:sad2:.

8. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    The legends country music are in a different category thay the singers of today.

Bob Wills is still the King!!

9. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I ggrew up with the old country music, my dad used to play it all the time and I love most of the old country but I like some of the new but will never be as good. I used to listen to Tom T. Hall, Donna Fargo, Lynn Anderson and many more.

10. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I agree John...back then most weren't paid like they are today.

They...and their descendants...probably make more off royalties these days than they ever made touring cross country on a converted school bus back in the 50's and 60's... not nearly as luxurious a ride as what the stars use today.

They were in the business to deliver their message more than they were to make a living...although many did in fact make their modest fortune in yesterdays dollars...it pales in comparison to todays mega money stars.

The old ones are all so familar to me...and forever linked to my childhood youth. They to me are timeless artists.

Perhaps this is partly why I am so biased when comparing Trace Adkins, Toby Keith, Brooks and Dunn, and Shania Twain and the likes...to say...George Jones, Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys, Ernest Tubb, Conway Twitty, Loretta Lynn, and Patsy Kline.

They are all country music legends...time tested over generations.

They will always be remembered in my heart in the most fondest of terms.

IMO...however...the three "newbies" that I'd have to vote on when it comes to "filling their shoes"...would be George Strait, Garth Brooks, and Alabama.

That Tim McGraw fella...and that Gretchen Wilson might be onto somethin' as well.

11. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I have to add Hank Jr. to that list as well. :wink:

12. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    FINALLY! Someone who understands what the old music was about. You rattled off a lot of my favorites!

13. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    God bless the boys who make the noise on 16th avenue.:big_smile:

Oh, and where is Lefty Frizell? What were you thinkin'?

14. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Old = "Home" and life. = Real

New = Wal-Mart and China. = Volume at the least cost in soul.

A different "playa" for a different time.

15. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Back in the day Hank Sr played songs that wouldn't pass on country radio stations of his day.people called him a sell out because of his music and habits.:sad2: ? that's how we came to know and love[ Luke the Drifter] remember ? [ I saw the Light] so I Don't judge to harshly when it comes to the singers of today.if they put there heart and soul into it how can it not be countrymusic??? that said there will never be another Possum:smile2: or many others ! when it comes to country music it's all GOOD......Bros.:cool2:

16. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Growin' up, I was under the impression one couldn't get into country music unless your name was "Hank" as in Hank Williams, Hank Thompson, Hank Snow, Hank Locklin, etc...:wink:

17. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Todays country music is no more than "Southern Rock (old style)" combined with "Disco and a Hint of Jazz", so how can it be anything but a way to line their pockets. Don't get me wrong here, I never said that I didn't like some of it but, I classify it as Generic Country.
    If it doesn't have a Steel Guitar, Acustic Guitar and, a Fiddle (not a violin, LOL) it qualifies for the Generic lable for me!!!!!

18. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Now that was a darn good song.Too bad so many radio stations refused to play it.Truth hurts I guess.

19. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    There is no country music of today. Atleast that gets recorded.
    These record labels are spitting out pop and top 40 wearing a cowboy hat.
    The same thing is happening to bluegrass. As the older stars die off or get to old to care, the "alternative" takes over.
    Listen to the beat, the instuments , and the lyrics of today's country. It isnt even remotely country music. Its just labeled country music.

20. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Will have to totolly agree with you on that one. A lot of todays Country Music (if you want to call it that ) I just can't handly.Just give good ol Conway .