Who's Going Ice Fishing Winter 2006/2007!

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by Pennsylvaniacatchaser, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I got myself all geared up and ready to do some ice fishing this winter! Just curious to see who all else is looking forward to the hardwater season!? Anyone who is interested in hooking up for some ice angling give me a shout as I get out most weekends and whenever else possible. I mostly go after Trout but also pursue Bass, Crappie, Bluegill, Perch and hope to get my first ice Walleye this year!:smile2:

2. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Im ready to go Scott, just waiting on the ice. Im as passioniate about ice fishing, as iam about catfishing. Up here i fish for Northern pike, perch, Lake trout, walleye and, smelt. Ive never tried fishing for cats through the ice, but this year if Lake Champlain gets good ice i want to give it a try.

3. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Steve - The ice should start forming pretty soon as I just saw the 7 day forecast and the daytime highs are only going to be in the mid 30's and night time temps. in the low to mid 20's. I'm in the process of building a new collapsible shelter, the canvas is at the seamtress shop right now being sewn together. Once I get it back I will be 100% ready to go!:big_smile:

4. jigerjim

jigerjim Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    Im ready as well, This is one of my faverit times of the year. Scott I think wear a little to far apart to hook up this winter:lol: Last year I got a Channel through the ice, I was fishin for Walleye's and it hit a jiggin rap. on the river.

5. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I am ready to get out and hit it! But just in Indiana not PA. good luck guys!

6. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    ive never been ice fishing but i have been thinking about trying.

7. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I plan on it, I seen people out in portable shacks today on a few area lakes. Ice is 3 to 4 inches and building fast. There are still open areas on the larger lakes, though they should be froze over soon. My thermometer is reading 2 deg. right now, so it is getting cooold.
    I go for northern pike, waleyes, crapies, sunnies. Have never tried for a cat during the winter. River ice kinda scares me, you never know where a thin spot might be.

8. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I went saturday and it was quite chilly. It was 3 degrees and the ice was 4-5 inches thick. Caught quite a few small rainbows and a couple of nice fat 17-18 inch keepers for the table. I was using small jigs with plastic tubes and rat finkies tipped with a power maggot.

I left the wax worms and meal worms at home on my table along with my camera and lunch. So I was cold, hungry and got no photos. But I had a great time on the ice anyway.

Good luck and catch some tasty walleyes.

9. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Jim - Too bad we are so far apart, I would like to spend a day on the ice with you and pick your brain, I bet I would learn quite a bit!:smile2:

10. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Cathound - I am jealous! You are already catching fish through the ice! We are now getting the cold temps. here in Pa. but no ice yet!:sad2:

11. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Tom - Quit thinking about it and get your butt out on the hardwater! It's a ton of fun in the winter months! Sure beats watching television?:eek:oooh: :roll_eyes: :wink: :big_smile:

12. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Scott i would love to give it a try. Hell if I have to work in the cold I might as well fish in it. Just let me know when the time is right.

13. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Mark - You know your welcome to fish with me anytime! I will let you know when I find safe ice! I have enough ice gear for you, me and a handful of others. There are those who sit on their as* all winter and then there are those who catch fish:cool2: !!!!:cool2:

14. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    We have ice on the ponds, but the big water is still open. If the wind ever stops blowing the the ice will come. :0a18:

15. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Just to try and make you a little more jealous, I'm going ice fishing tomorrow again. I think the plan is to go up to a lake at about 9000 feet elevation and fish for Tiger trout.

I'll remember to bring my heater for this one, I hear tell it's a wee bit chilly up there(well below zero). And, of course I'll also take my skis/snowshoes and a shovel cuz they got around 2 foot of new snow this past week.

Come on out here and go fishing ! We got plenty'o'ice and don't mind sharing a'tall.

16. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    CatHound - If I happen to hit the lottery this week I am coming out to fish with you!:cool2: :wink: :roll_eyes: Hey, Good luck to you on your ice trip! Let us know how you do!

17. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It was mighty frosty ! Well into the negative numbers and there was a bit of a breeze to go with it (about 10-15 mph). :crazy:

We could only stay a short time as it was almost impossible to keep the holes free of ice. :waaaht:

I caught two and called it a day.

I don't suppose that makes you too jealous, does it ?

18. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Well those are some pretty darn harsh conditions! I don't care to be out when things are that cold. Your talking life threatening conditions!:eek:oooh: Glad you were able to catch a few fish!

19. kryton

kryton New Member

State:
    ohio
    man i cant wait to hit the hard water this year last year i caught some nice bluegill have fun i will :big_smile:

20. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I wouldnt mind getting back into ice fishing. the only gear I still have is my tip ups. but i have no auger and have no intention of breaking out the hammer and chisel like I used to do back in the day. If anyones fishing lake nockamixon or greenlane reservior. the other thing that keeps me off the ice is I dont believe in ice fishing alone. if the you go thru your dead with out someone to either help or get help for you. With a baby on the way, thats no longer an option for me.