Who's fishing the James this weekend?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by blacksheep, Jan 8, 2008.

1. blacksheep

blacksheep New Member

State:
    NC
    I will be bring my boat up about noon on Friday. I will fish Jordans Point Friday, Sat, and Sunday. I heard that bait was hard to get around deep bottom last weekend. Did anyone else have problems? Who all fished last weekend and how did you do??? I plan on getting bait Friday afternoon for the whole weekend. Anyone else fishing Jan. 11, 12, and 13th???

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I fished today and launched from Deep Bottom. I went downstream to the first entrance on the right to set my Gill Net. I met a nice guy and his two buddies soaking a brand new net for the very first time. They had just purchased the net. They had it in the water ten minutes and when they started to pull it, it was loaded with Gizzard shad, I mean loaded and was only in the water ten minutes. I climbed in their boat and helped pull shad out the net. They gave me 15 or so Gizzards so I never had to set my net. Water temps are back up to 49 after the warm days.

I fished from noon until dark. Caught 4 cats over 20 pounds but less than 30 so no citations for me. Lost an estimated 40 pounder at the boat trying to net it. Had one good pull down that didn't hook up. Caught half a dozen dinks and one small striper on my little rod fished up near the bank.

It was kind of windy but not to bad. I hope you wear them out this weekend.

3. Halifax

Halifax New Member

State:
    Chester ,Va
    I put in at jordan point Sat and struggled catching bait also. Caught bait in a creek but it was a scuffle. Did a little better with the fish caught a 59,50,a few in the low 30's and some high 20's.

4. jwfish

jwfish New Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    Thanks for the reports guys I'll be down in about four weeks save a few for me.

5. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Thanks for the report Kenneth....man what a difference.....been told that some guys get bait all winter at Deep Bottom.....I guess you will just have some days that conditions greatly alter the bait situation.....such as temps staying in the teens several days, extremely low tide, water temp at 42 last Saturday, and even noticed a ice forming around the banks at Deep Bottom, the water from the net was icing up.

Jerry

6. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Can't promise anything JW.:big_smile: hahahaha

I was kind of 50/50 on going this weekend, since I was planning an all weekend trip next week, but I need to feel some tuggage! I'm now 60/40 on going.

7. Powhatan

Powhatan New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'll be there... wish I had a gill net.. going to order one today. Just want to make sure I get the proper size. What is the best size for the shad in the James?

8. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    2"mesh, 4" stretch. Will get you some nice cutters on avg of 12".

www.fishnetco.com

Check their leaded gill nets, model LGM-6620. Price displayed is for 100 yards. You can get any length you want for an additional $10 setup fee, so just figure the price per yard. Seems like most guys have 50'. I bought a 30' to learn how to use it properly. Thinking of upgrading soon.

From what I hear, this net is illegal for a very short window in the spring, where I think the max stretched size allowed is 3 3/4". But I doubt you'll be hassled. Everybody I know of uses the net above and nobody's ever been hassled about it.

50' will come to just under $50. Heck of a deal.

9. Powhatan

Powhatan New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks!!!! I just ordered one!!... no more throwing my shoulder out with the cast net. Now to get my license.

10. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have a 75 footer that is 1.75 inch, 3.50 inch stretch so I think? I can use it in the Tidal James whenever.

My question to the Brothers is how far upstream can I use it? Anywhere below the fall line? I don't know and I sure don't want to get a ticket as the price of education.

Yesterday the Man was out in force. I saw Feds at Presquille, Henrico boat police hauling Butt up the Jones Neck Cut Through in some sort of twin outboard fast boat. Saw a Game Deptment Warden in a Jon. Nobody even stopped to say hello.

I bought my 2008 Gill Net license at Dance's in Colonial Heights last week.

11. blacksheep

blacksheep New Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks for the info. I just made my mind up... I am going to deep bottom for the bait but will fish Jordan point down to the 90ft hole... for the bigons... Sat. is susposed to be a good day, low wind and temp in the 50's. I will be in a 17ft blue Starcraft deep hull DC... Good luck to all that go this weekend....:0a23::0a23::0a23::0a23::0a23:

12. cobysdad06

cobysdad06 New Member

State:
    Sutherlin VA.
  13. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Yeah me and my buddy will be there sat. weather says just gunna be snow no rain anyone heard any different?

14. river cat rat

river cat rat New Member

State:
    virginia
    very nice blue hope you catch many more just like that one.

15. river cat rat

river cat rat New Member

State:
    virginia