Who's fishing and where this weekend?

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by brandonnash, May 30, 2008.

1. brandonnash

brandonnash New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'm thinking of going, but haven't decided where yet. May stay close to the house, but may venture up toward old hickory dam. Anyone having luck out there or on old hickory lately?

2. JRicker

JRicker New Member

State:
    Tenessee
    Ill be fishing at cherokee lake

3. brandonnash

brandonnash New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Might have to stick around here though. I'll be going where my friend's boat takes me. Around the Mona boat ramp on the stones river. Lots of good cover. Probably have a line out for cats while I'm crappie or bassin. My bud likes the bass a little more than the cats, so he trolls almost constantly. Kinda hard to keep a line in one place.

4. brandonnash

brandonnash New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    oh, cumberlandcat...I sent you a pm (if you read this) didn't know if there was a restriction on my low posts so far and you just didn't get it. If you're going out this weekend let me know.

5. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    iv been having great luck below old hickory catch a skip cut him throw him back out been catchin some decent blues

6. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I fished below the dam last weekend all night, We caught a 4 foot long eel and a bunch of little cats but nothing over 3 lbs. Pretty common for that stretch of river for some reason. I hear people saying all the time there are monsters down below the dam and in that stretch of river but due to the fact I have been down there probably 400 times over the last 10 years and never seen a cat get caught over 10lbs I don't believe it is the best place to fish for giants. But for eaters, I think we caught 22 small cats last weekend. I ran my trot lines a few times this week on the lake and the fish are spawning in the shallows. 2 to 7 feet of water. I ran all my lines deep except for one and that one that was in 3 foot of water had about 10 big channels around 6lbs a piece.

7. brandonnash

brandonnash New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Have you caught all your big ones in the lake?

8. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    No I have caught most of those in the tn river and the cumberland out towards dover, There are some biguns in the lake though. If you are going for big fish I would hit the lake before I put in the river. I fished the lake hard last winter several times a week and did pretty good most of the time I have yet to catch anything over 23 lbs in the lake. But they are in there and being that it is so close its where I have been fishing lately. I have had good luck from the 109 bridge down to drakes creek. I have caught tons of big channels around 10 to 15 lbs. Thats seems to be more common than blues. You just have to find where the school of blues are that day.

9. brandonnash

brandonnash New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well, I must have been doing something wrong this time, because we couldn't even get a single bite yesterday. We had between 3 and 4 poles in the water all day baited with either shad or chicken liver and got nothing. We tried probably a 3-4 mile stretch of the stones river/percy priest and just nothing at all. Tried deep water with fish showing on the bottom (15-30 feet deep), more shallow water, and around nice structure like log jams and coves. Most of the people I saw out didn't catch any fish either. It rained on us there for a bit and I broke one of my older smaller rods when I got hung on something. Bad day. There were a couple guys on a boat that looked to catch 7-8 cats, but nothing grand. They said they were fishing worms at a spot further up river.

We even tried for bass with every type of lure you can think of and nothing. Just wasn't our day to fish I guess.

Even with all that bad luck going on I still had a good time. I was on the lake with a good friend, fishing poles in our hands just b-s'ing the time away.

10. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    All the fish are probably going on bed now...Thats probably why there not biting as well...I haven't been fishing in the past few weeks but I've been getting the same reports of the fishing is slowing down..Won't stop me from trying though..A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work or lying around on the couch..I'll be heading out this weekend,my plans to go last weekend were squashed by a strained back but I'm all ready now...Also invest in a barometer..I was pleasantly surprised how knowing the barometic pressure will improve your catch..

11. brandonnash

brandonnash New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    A buddy of mine was trying to tell me to get a barometer. Might have to do that. Try to do me some learnin on how to fish while monitoring that on when to go.

12. mighteejoe

mighteejoe New Member

State:
    KY
    Ill be at energy lake...

13. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Gathering at Pickwick this weekend, try to come out and meet some of the others on here, check out the member gatherings for details

14. brandonnash

brandonnash New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Wish I could come. Got to go to a friends wedding. I got A (one) suit in my closet. It's got a rip in the pants. Wonder what I'm gonna do about that one. Might be time to re-live the tuxedo t-shirt days!!

15. crappietime

crappietime New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro Tennessee
    Well the wife and daughter are leaving in the morning(Friday) to head to Atlanta for girlscouts trip.So that is going to leave me and the boy home all weekend baching it here.Think I am okay on the honey doos here plus she aint going to be home to tell me what to be doing.So off to Percy Priest this weekend might hit it every night while they are gone.May run out sometime during the day Friday and put my trot line out and bait it up good then check it late Friday night and run jugs Friday night while out there.Sleep some Saturday and back to the lake again Saturday night.

16. brandonnash

brandonnash New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hey crappietime, a friend of mine (who knows the southern part of the lake and stones river really really well) told me about a long row of stumps where the east and west forks of the stones comes together. right in the middle of the channel leading off the split going up the east fork. Said they've took loads of crappie from there. I might have to try there sometime in the next couple weeks.

17. crappietime

crappietime New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro Tennessee
    Yeah I was up in there about a week ago and there was people on the stumps taking some crappie.I have fished that area alot for crappie before.I normally fish from there to Spring Creek for crappie some.But I go out to the main part of the lake for my cats.I rather fish for cats than anything else.I am usually in a Blue BassTracker with a 90hp merc on the back.If you see me hollar we will swap some lies or truths depends on how the fish are doing.

18. brandonnash

brandonnash New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'll be looking for you the next time I'm out that way. If I'm out that way chances are I'll be in a friend's boat. Won't take the jon boat out at jefferson springs. Too many idiot skiers.

19. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I put in below old hickory dam last night and ran trot lines till about 2. Not a good night. We ran 200 hooks and caught a piece of steel, concrete block, buffalo,strip,drum,4 turtles,4 baby cats. Never had that happen. Last time we went we caught quite a few cats like 25. Somethings changed in the last few weeks.

20. brandonnash

brandonnash New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Only thing I can think of is they're spawning and not wanting to eat. It's hot outside now, but the water temp isn't all that warm yet. I think they're spawning later because it didn't get really warm till just less than a month ago.