Who's eaten skipjack?

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by VerotiK, Jan 16, 2006.

1. VerotiK

VerotiK New Member

State:
    Harrison, Arkansas
    Dont be shy. I know someone has had to have tried it before. If it weren't such valuable bait, i would have already tried it. I've heard of pickled herring. Skipjack is really meaty, so you never know...

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Jon, Why would I waste such good bait by eating them?:) I heep rather fish with the skips.:)

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I guess YOU could eat them, LOL!!! Tea likes dipbait on Crackers, LOL!!!

4. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    thats funny you mentioned it,i was just talkin about it tonight with the brother in law. lmao hey they do smell tasty to me. :p

5. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    LOL, you have got to be kidding!!!!! LOL On the old board we had someone ask that seriously one night. LOL Glad I wasn't him!!

6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    as a teenager we did roast a few creek chubs on a stick over a fire, not bad actually! i dont know about skips though...i hear they are very oily.

7. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Yes the skips are oily, that makes them a very good bait.:)

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    My first thought is that skipjack are very oily & bloody, but then I think how oily & bloody bluefish are, and I think they taste ok...nah, I think I'll stick with eating catfish. I've heard people say they don't like bluefish because they are so oily & bloody.

9. Cataholic

Cataholic Guest

Every oppourtunity I get to take the Mrs. fishing Elizabeth (our Pomeranian) has to go! She can't wait for a Skipjack head or tail, I think she prefers the head though. She loves Skippies! O'course she'll get a tootsie roll out of the litter box every now and then too! I personally couldn't be hungry enough to try either one :blink:

10. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    was fishin next to this guy once who was feedind his lab 4 inch long shad. later that night that dog got the "shad farts" and nearly made us all get sick!

11. Catwagon

Catwagon New Member

State:
    Justin, TX
    "shad farts", LOL

I know that if you cook skipjack in the microwave it gets soft and mushy like cheap tuna. Also, when it's been cooked like that you can see all the fine hairlike bones running through it easier.

If you add mushiness to the oily meat and rude fish smell then it's got to taste a whole lot like sardines on steroids.

But I'm not gonna try it. Get Mikey.

Steve

12. VerotiK

VerotiK New Member

State:
    Harrison, Arkansas
    Well, skipjack are related to sardines. They are related to tarpon as well.

13. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    you could probably eat them like smelt. or a skipjack kabob

14. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Met a guy and his wife at the boat ramp this summer, asked what he caught. Besides Catfish and Whites, he said he caught some goldeye too. I asked if he froze them for bait, his wife came right out and said HECK NO! I cook them, I'd put them in the same catagory the rest of y'all put the skips. BUT, I have read an article that said they're netted commercially in Canada, smoked and sold in markets(?). I prefer them as bait too!

15. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I've never seen them here but in England we smoke herring (which is a good oily bait) to make what we call kippers. They are delicious.
    I have seen smoked whitefish here and whitefish are somwhat oily.
    Mackerel ( another good oily bait) are also excellent to eat so I think that prepared right such as smoked or grilled, skipjack would be good to eat. I'd be willing to give it a try!:crying: ...W

16. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    i'm learning about all kinds of baitfis on this one thread.i've never seen a slipjack before(i dont think) even though i live on the Kansas River.What is a tampon?

17. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    OOPS! Sorry for the spelling error on the last post.Should have proof-read it before sending it.I meant'TARPON' forgive me on that one,alright

18. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    LOL john...............Dang that edit button

19. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    maybe if i behave myself,someone out there will post a link i can go to so i know what a slipjack looks like.

20. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Here's a skipjack and a tarpon.

Attached Files: