Who's been aboard a SeaArk RiverCat?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by FordTruckGuySTX, May 26, 2007.

1. FordTruckGuySTX

FordTruckGuySTX New Member

State:
    Caryville, TN
    Just wondering. I've been eyeballing the regular Rivercat center console for possible future purchase. It's got the smaller back deck w/o the elongated seating and alot more floor space. I just like it abit more than the classic model. And they are a rugged well built quality boat. Guy told me roughly $11.5k for boat/trailer. I'll probably put a 80 model XR2 Mercury 150hp on. Unless I just feel rich enough to get an newer optimax that is.

2. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I, like you, have been eyeballing it since its debut. Now they have like 6 models but I like the Striper model a little better but not sure why.

3. FordTruckGuySTX

State:
    Caryville, TN
    I was pressed for time but i too took notice of the striper model. i'm goin back to investigate it tuesday. the baitwell in particular got my attention. i'm just using an old 14" norris craft i made a center console out of last fall that we had sitting in the yard and although for my investement of less than 700 bucks it is awesome my gear, batteries, rods, fuel, coolers, etc kinda clash for deck space w/ limited storage area. Going to a new SeaArk would be like goin from a ragged out 74 Pinto to an 07 Silverado Duramax dually. The seating on the classic model is indeed better since i'm always taking someone with me, however I really do love all that open bottom floor space the regular model provides.

4. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    PM SGTROB. he has one I believe.

5. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I have a 2072 without all the fanfare. They are great boats. I went with the side console for more floorspace. I have 10 driftmasters installed and still have room across the back for more. This past weekend I carried 4 adults and a child, sleeping bags tent cooler grill 20 rods, bait, gear etc... in less than a foot of water. It was crowded for the ride but my 16 footer would not have done it period.

6. duck_killr

duck_killr New Member

State:
    il
    I just bougt the 1860 VPLD with the 15 degree hull. that is the way to go. the deeper hull makes running in chop easy. My old boat was a 1860 tracker MV. on rough days i was glad when i got back to the boat ramp. A friend of a friend just bought a V CAT. He put a 140 suzukie on it. got 7 year warranty with that motor. i run an 75 e-tec. but for the money on the larger engine of would run a 140 suzukie. you cant go wrong with the V CAT center or side console.

7. TONTO

TONTO New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I have the striper model looked at it for a couple of years first. It is the same as the river cat but with a 30 gallon shad well. This bait well really works great. I have a 115 four stroke Suzuki on it. This boat is everything I thought it would be.

8. FordTruckGuySTX

State:
    Caryville, TN
    tonto, how fast does that hp engine push your boat? not super important to me but just curious. i know i think they are rated same as rivercats for 140hp, but i'm really thinkin 150-175 for mine.

9. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    I've got the Rivercat Classic. It is great for me. The Rivercat is $1000 cheaper than the Classic so you should be able to get one for $7900. They are rated for a max 140 HP. If you want to put a bigger motor on it you need the 24 foot model. Mine runs 43 MPH tops without a jackplate. PM me if you have any other Q's

10. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    The 3-degree hull SeaArks will jar your eye teeth loose in any kind of chop. You couldn't give me one of them... :angry:

The 15-degree hull, however, ought to ride real nice.

Unfortunately, all of SeaArk's "Catfish" boats are nothing more than bass boats with a big livewell. SeaArk doesn't know how to build anything but a bass boat.

If you don't believe me, think about this: What does any catfisherman need with a huge raised rear casting deck and a bench seat right in front of the deck? Wouldn't you much rather have a small rear deck, consoles moved far forward, swivel captain's chairs and lots of open floor space instead?

You can certainly press a SeaArk "catfish" boat into service as a catfish boat and you might even convince yourself that you like it (a task made much easier when you've invested a lot of money in it).

But it's not a catfish boat.

11. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,

Tell me what you really think! LOL!
    Those bench seats you speak of are an option. I use the decks as a table for the cutting board and to fight fish over the motor around anchor etc... BTW, mine doesn't have a livewell, it only has a 10 gal. baitwell. Console far forward maybe although with a jet if I get shallow enough to ground I would certainly be in the water. I don't care for swivel chairs. I prefer my own chairs from home and they take up less space when stowed. I think it is the ultimate cat boat.... but I've invested a lot of money in one LOL! :roll_eyes:

12. FordTruckGuySTX

State:
    Caryville, TN
    well the regular rivercat(not the classic) sounds more to your definition of catboat. it has a small rear deck w/o the bench seat, lots of floor space, a and moderate front deck. this is the model i'm looking at right now. i mailed seaark and they said that the baitwell being plumbed is the only difference in the cat and striper. I gotta wonder how hard it'd be to get the rivercat w/ that baitwell though. i dont want the side of my boat to say striper, i want my stinkin' catfish on the hull!:cool2:

13. Fishking

Fishking Member

State:
    KC, MO
    Name:
    Andrew

What?? When was the last time you were in a 3-degree hull SeaArk?
    My SeaArk with a 3-degree hull has no problems with chop, whether its the wake of a tugboat on the river or ten multidirectional wakes on the LOZ.

14. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Trying bringing it downriver on the Missouri one day with a 20 mph wind blowing against the current and I'll bet you change your mind. You'll be banging and slapping and rattling like nobody's business... I guarantee the ride in any kind of v-bottom would be a lot smoother and more tolerable.

15. TONTO

TONTO New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Ford truck guy I do not have a speedometer on my boat, but it probably runs in the mid to high 40's. It's quite a bit quit quicker than old 20' Sea Ark with a 90 hp Nissan.

16. Fishking

Fishking Member

State:
    KC, MO
    Name:
    Andrew
    Blah, Blah, Blah, been there and done that to many times to count in worse conditions. Sure a 15 degree hull will give you a smoother ride, but to think a 15 degree hull wont have significant banging and slapping and rattling like nobody's business under those conditions... gimme a break. You still haven't answered the question. When was the last time you were in a 3-degree hull SeaArk?

17. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Never been on one in my life. I'm just talking out my a$$ like the rest of you guys...

18. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I've got a 12 degree hull that rides very nice.

Marty, That LC has a 6 degree hull doesn't it? It rides pretty good.

19. insanedrifter

insanedrifter New Member

State:
    missouri
    hey brad, You got that right!!:cool2:

20. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I fished at LOZ last Sunday with a buddy that has the Rivercat CC, and the boat ran through the chop and boat wakes pretty well. The console is a little too close to the back deck for my liking (could use more room for fighting fish-looks like the V-Cat is set up better for that), but overall a pretty good boat to fish from.

I've fished from Andrew's SeaArk (ha-got to fish in your boat while you were out of town!) and have no doubts it would handle well in rough water. I know with a 225 on the back that thing smokes the water!

I think as the boats get bigger and heavier, the amount of v is less noticeable. 22' is going to ride better than a 20', and so forth.

That being said, after owning a deep-v for 5 years, I won't own anything else.